Voltage is all over the place

Ok so I have a 2005 Suburban with the stock alt. I have a yellow top up front and have done the Big 3 upgrade. I have one run of 0 gauge to the back of the truck. I have my volt meter reading voltage off of the distribution block in the back of the truck. Durning the day I am seeing 12.8-13.1v in the evening and nighttime I am seeing 14.9-15.1v.

Does voltage have anything to do with temperature?

These numbers are with no volume. (at volume I see about .1 drop)

Is my alt just done? The truck had 140K miles.

(In the next week I am doing a dual 220alt setup.)

2013 Tahoe PPV

Pioneer

XS Power

Tru Technologies

Digital Designs

Precision Power

It definitely is effected by temperature. Mine starts out at 14.4 at idle and then drops to 14.1-14.3 at idle and full tilt when the engine warms up. Not sure if it normal to drop a full volt but dropping is common in warm weather. Unless you have plenty of alts/batts/1/0, i guess. :pardon:

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Audison----Hertz----Rainbow

when it was winter time i was seeing 15.0 cold and like 14.8 warmed up. now in the spring/summer i see 14.8v cold and like 14.1 warm. hell at night i can drop down to 13.2 driving with the lights on and no music. (weird though)

At one time I had changed the route of my 1/0 power cable under the hood for my big 3, and didn't realize that it was very close to my radiator. I thought my voltage regulator was going out because I would get spikes of voltage up to around 17+ volts. But it was just from the heat.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

Yeah damn the heat. It is like 103 degrees with the heat index during the day here and like 80 degrees at night. So maybe thats whats doing it. I will reassess when I get the new alts.

2013 Tahoe PPV

Pioneer

XS Power

Tru Technologies

Digital Designs

Precision Power

heat does affect it but i wouldn't think it would drop it 2 volts like that

Ride-1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited Edition

Head Unit-Alpine iXA-W404

Front Speakers-Memphis M-Class 6 1/2 Oversize

Subs-2 DC Lvl 4xl 15's

Amps-2 Sundown 3500d's

Batteries-2 Batcap 2000's

240 amp Iraggi Alternator

Wiring-Memphis 0 Gauge Kit

Extra-Compustar Alarm/Remote Start/Keyless Entry

• 4 weeks later...

some cars ive seen have the voltage monitored by the ECU. the ECU would limit the power when there arent many accessories being used and would bump it up when there is more of a demand. someone tell me if i am wrong.

some cars ive seen have the voltage monitored by the ECU. the ECU would limit the power when there arent many accessories being used and would bump it up when there is more of a demand. someone tell me if i am wrong.

This. I have a '06 Chevy HHR and I have a DC 320A but still stock ECU. It'll still pull that shit where ill be driving and my voltage is 12.7 and then ill blare it and it'll drop then ill lay off a few seconds and then it progress' to 14.8 and I bang more and then it stays there, so I kind of found the way to cheat it but I still want my XS Power VCM.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

Archived