Batteries or Alt first?

Right now, my Blazer has completely stock electrical, and I KNOW I need to upgrade.

My brother is really trying to push me towards a cap, so I'm trying to go ahead and upgrade it the right way, before he gets a hold of it.

Anyway, what should I upgrade first, and to what?

For alts, I was thinking about going with Iraggi, but I have no idea what kind to upgrade to.

And for batteries, I was thinking about going with XS, but have no idea what size or whatever to get.

If it matters, my current set up is a JL 500W amp, with 3 12" Kickers.

But, I want to prepare for my future build, which will be around 3000W total (2 1000W sub amps, and 2 500W 4 channels)

With the 500W right now, I already see a noticeable voltage drop at high volumes.

Will adding the Big 3 to my stock electrical help that much, or at all? When I upgrade batts and alt, I will be doing the big 3 at the same time, but if it will help me on stock electrical, I'll go ahead and do that first.

Thanks for any help guys

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

of course doing the big 3 will be a major improvement. i never ceases to amaze me people think power magically makes itself. you need to be able to provide a strong and stable electrical base for the amps to properly build clean power for your sound system. 500watts really is nothing and if youre having issues already i would wonder about the stock alternator and battery.

big 3 is an awesome upgrade whether its stock or aftermarket under the hood. the batteries really depend on what youre wanting to pull and the alternator might as well be something in your price range. what type of car? id look for something with 250 amps. batteries are nice because they can help add reserve power without clipping signals. tell your brother that a cap may be OK for a system this small it is only so businesses can generate revenue and has no help whatsoever for your future plans with the system.

people tell me i like overkill but thats what i like. i run three fi btl 15s powered off of three rf t4s and i have dual 300amp iraggi alts with 6 xs power d3100s. but my voltage sits BEAUTIFULLY at about 15 volts at all times. when spending this much money on equipment why risk low voltage?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

When I said it already has voltage drop, that's with my sub-out level all the way up, and volume pretty much all the way up. I don't do that though, my brother was just doing it to see how loud it would get.

I'll go ahead and try to scrape some cash together to get some wire for the Big 3, and get that done soon.

Car is a 1998 Chevy Blazer.

I don't care about price range right now, I just want to know what to look for.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

with only so little power right now, id get a battery first. A GM Stock alternator should have no real issues charging the stock battery and an additional battery in the rear.

XS Power is a great choice in batteries!!

If it was me, Id say buy a XS Power D3100 to start with for your rear battery. Then Upgrade the battery under the hood to a XS Power D3400 (should fit the stock location) when you get the spare cash.

Then save up your money and work on getting yourself an alternator sometime between this current system and your future system. Personally Im in love with my DC Power triple alt kit, but I started with just a simple DC Power 270SP to get a feel for the company and their products, and this alt outdid my Rhino Series MECHMAN alts by a lot. So I sold the 270sp and went with the 270xp's, never had a issue with a single one and do way more then rated power and 220+amps at 600 engine rpms

Iraggi's are hit or miss in my opinion, sometimes its very hard to get ahold of Dom if you have problems, or questions or even to purchase. My Iraggi alt didnt clamp anywhere near its rated 300amps, however it was an alt that I never had an issue with and was reliable even tho it only did 220amps out of the 300 I paid for.

So Id say DC Power > Iraggi > Mechman (only because I blew up 4 alts in a 2month period, reliability was not there at all)!

Get the biggest alt you can afford, since it should last many years, and thru a few system upgrades. Sometimes alt companies will have killer sales, or offer you a special price to advertise and promote their products. 250amps or higher should do you good.

i will agree on the hit or miss. i may have just been lucky and hit all 5 times ove ordered. one of my 300amp alts does right below at 297 and the other 310. it was fine by me. one d3100 in the bank will be more than nice for 2000 watts rms.

not to threadjack but dang, triple? lol, im going to read your sig to see if i can see what youre pushing :drinks:

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

with only so little power right now, id get a battery first. A GM Stock alternator should have no real issues charging the stock battery and an additional battery in the rear.

XS Power is a great choice in batteries!!

If it was me, Id say buy a XS Power D3100 to start with for your rear battery. Then Upgrade the battery under the hood to a XS Power D3400 (should fit the stock location) when you get the spare cash.

Then save up your money and work on getting yourself an alternator sometime between this current system and your future system. Personally Im in love with my DC Power triple alt kit, but I started with just a simple DC Power 270SP to get a feel for the company and their products, and this alt outdid my Rhino Series MECHMAN alts by a lot. So I sold the 270sp and went with the 270xp's, never had a issue with a single one and do way more then rated power and 220+amps at 600 engine rpms

Iraggi's are hit or miss in my opinion, sometimes its very hard to get ahold of Dom if you have problems, or questions or even to purchase. My Iraggi alt didnt clamp anywhere near its rated 300amps, however it was an alt that I never had an issue with and was reliable even tho it only did 220amps out of the 300 I paid for.

So Id say DC Power > Iraggi > Mechman (only because I blew up 4 alts in a 2month period, reliability was not there at all)!

Get the biggest alt you can afford, since it should last many years, and thru a few system upgrades. Sometimes alt companies will have killer sales, or offer you a special price to advertise and promote their products. 250amps or higher should do you good.

mani wished they would make an alt for my car :(

not to threadjack but dang, triple? lol, im going to read your sig to see if i can see what youre pushing :drinks:

Im thee Jonathan Price Junior... I toss 3 alts and 24s on my hoe, he gets six alts and talks of 28s.. LOL

I get sundown saz4500 to start with he gets 4.... Lol

Archived