"Generator" fuse keeps blowing. need help badly

Guessing it's something to do with the exciter current required by your alt. Larger alt = higher exciter current and the 20A stock circuitry can't handle it.

Maybe run a big-ass relay off that 20A circuit, power the relay with a run of 8ga fused at 60 amps?

Just what I'm theorising of course, I've never seen this issue personally.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

if its demanding more current then it can handle then yes that wire would need to be bigger. Have you checked it with a DMM and compaired it to the stock fuses? bigger load = bigger fuse. at 3k rpm (if the pulley is smaller then stock) it should have more of a demand then with the stock so it blows sooner. (your pulley is spinning faster with a smaller pulley then it is with the stock one therefore it'll blow at lower rpms)if nothing else try sticking in a larger fuse and see what happens. I can almost guarantee that will solve your problem if it does then boon is right the circuit cant handle the load

Edited by blackrosetiger

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

if its demanding more current then it can handle then yes that wire would need to be bigger. Have you checked it with a DMM and compaired it to the stock fuses? bigger load = bigger fuse. at 3k rpm (if the pulley is smaller then stock) it should have more of a demand then with the stock so it blows sooner. (your pulley is spinning faster with a smaller pulley then it is with the stock one therefore it'll blow at lower rpms)if nothing else try sticking in a larger fuse and see what happens. I can almost guarantee that will solve your problem

A larger fuse is only as good as the stock wire on either side of it. Boon has a great idea. But maybe your thinking the same thing. lol

Derp.

Guessing it's something to do with the exciter current required by your alt. Larger alt = higher exciter current and the 20A stock circuitry can't handle it.

Maybe run a big-ass relay off that 20A circuit, power the relay with a run of 8ga fused at 60 amps?

Just what I'm theorising of course, I've never seen this issue personally.

yes the exciter current is the issue

my dad seems to think your idea makes sense. i personally do not understand it but if he thinks its a good idea then so do i.

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

if its demanding more current then it can handle then yes that wire would need to be bigger. Have you checked it with a DMM and compaired it to the stock fuses? bigger load = bigger fuse. at 3k rpm (if the pulley is smaller then stock) it should have more of a demand then with the stock so it blows sooner. (your pulley is spinning faster with a smaller pulley then it is with the stock one therefore it'll blow at lower rpms)if nothing else try sticking in a larger fuse and see what happens. I can almost guarantee that will solve your problem

of course it will cause now it will take longer for the fuse to blow since that fuse dosent get to the point where its going to blow.All he'll do is just burn up the wire.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

This particular issue would definitely be one of a kind sir... I'd recommend letting an experienced electrician handle it if none of this stuff works.

It could be a number of things causing this one though.

The fuse idea is a good place to start. 30 amp is probably the largest you get out of a standard mini fuse. It wouldn't hurt to try it first.

You could also have an open wire that kind of bounces around and touches open metal when you turn the bass up so, trace all of the wires down that come off of the generator fuse to make sure that there is no cuts or splices in them.

If everything checks out clear, replace the voltage regulator inside of your alternator.

Your alternators voltage regulator should never pull so many amps that it's making fuses blow. Which is why I would doubt a fuse would actually be the problem.

After that...

Hope that one of the top three solutions fixed your issue.

If all of these fail, could be time for an alternator replacement or something inside of your cars computer could be causing it to happen.

I would check the first two then go from there. Everything else involves spending a decent amount of money to guess at it.

1993 Chevrolet SWB Pickup

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

This particular issue would definitely be one of a kind sir... I'd recommend letting an experienced electrician handle it if none of this stuff works.

It could be a number of things causing this one though.

The fuse idea is a good place to start. 30 amp is probably the largest you get out of a standard mini fuse. It wouldn't hurt to try it first.

You could also have an open wire that kind of bounces around and touches open metal when you turn the bass up so, trace all of the wires down that come off of the generator fuse to make sure that there is no cuts or splices in them.

If everything checks out clear, replace the voltage regulator inside of your alternator.

Your alternators voltage regulator should never pull so many amps that it's making fuses blow. Which is why I would doubt a fuse would actually be the problem.

After that...

Hope that one of the top three solutions fixed your issue.

If all of these fail, could be time for an alternator replacement or something inside of your cars computer could be causing it to happen.

I would check the first two then go from there. Everything else involves spending a decent amount of money to guess at it.

i need to try a larger fuse. ive traced the wire and it has no breaks that i can see. ive replaced the voltage regulator and it still happens.

im thinking it is the alternator. maybe thats why no one likes db electrical

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

i need to try a larger fuse. ive traced the wire and it has no breaks that i can see. ive replaced the voltage regulator and it still happens.

im thinking it is the alternator. maybe thats why no one likes db electrical

Last thing I would say is possibly a bad diode on the rectifier or a computer problem, I would lean more towards the rectifier though. Have it rebuilt with different parts from a more reputable manufacture. The casing of the alt should still be fine along with the bearings, so if they can service it for you. It should save you a penny or two.

1993 Chevrolet SWB Pickup

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

• 2 weeks later...

to anyone who cares i found the problem.

a piece of wire on the coil was rubbing against some metal and was arcing.

i should be getting a replacement from db.

thanks for the help guys

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz