Second Skin Audio

Horn > all?

lol i know bro, i really appreciated their help nice of em to all chime in :)

Yo despues que las asomo... papa tu sabes como es que somos esto es flores pa los muertos y pa' mis enemigos plomo la 9 nunca se turba cuando bajan por la curva no es que yo no salga es que ustedes no entran pa la urba de humacao - Cosculluela.

Hi mate,

Although your question has been answered, I thought I would just chime in quickly.

A horn in terms of low frequency is an acoustical impedance matching device that attempts to make use of an exponentially expanding airspace to maximise output over a set bandpass. Low frequency horn enclosures are not easily designed and are not usually designed to operate in single units. Multiples of two mouths are common with horn subwoofers often making appearances as two-a-side, four-a-side, eight-a-side etc.

The lower the low frequency cutoff for the system, the longer the horn path. One thing to remember is that a horn does have acoustic resistance, and that acoustic resistance can be measured electrically as resistance on the diaphragm. Some horn paths will offer as much as two times the impedance at some frequencies and going below the low frequency cutoff can result in a MASSIVE drop in impedance (cough Labsub cough), sometimes allowing your amplifier to drop a metric dicktonne of power into the low impedance on the cones below resonant frequency, tearing them apart.

Horn enclosures have a myth that they form the wave further out from the box than a normal front radiating speaker. Complete bullshit as the pressure difference that is sound begins at the incident, which would be the cone on the loudspeaker. They often do, however, show phase and time domain anomalies close to the loudspeaker that give the perception of decreased volume. Given a distance away from the cluster, the mouths sum cohesively and gain amplitude. Ed Lester has also very correctly pointed out that horn mouths do not want to be in a small environment, no smaller than 3π (3pie), although some do not even like 3pie!.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

OK. I have only seen one Horn loaded design that fits well in a vehicle and unfortunately you will still need a fair amount of room for this thing. A friend of mine had a Suburban that he wanted to build a horn loaded design for and he found this design. It is actually not too hard to build if you have some box building experience. The thing that blew me away is that he had two Pioneer 10's that he was using for this box. I have never liked Pioneer subs because well if you have ever heard them you would know why. After we put this box in his car he played all kinds of music from Rap to Rock to Jazz and this thing hit so solid and still hit extreme lows I couldn't believe it. It was unreal how loud it could get while still producing excellent sound quality. The plans are free to download. Check it out. FYI don't do the smaller version. It doesn't sound good at all.

hmm.. might have to try and build a WO32 (obviously will be changed...) to sqeeze some 18's into.. on 4KW... haha.

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

My .02, I bought a horn design from PWK and it fucking sucks. This was supposed to be for an XL 12.

https://webmail.us.army.mil/attach/01.png?sid=&mbox=INBOX&uid=3390&number=4&filename=01.png

Paid $60 bucks for that shit.

Edited by OrionStang

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

My .02, I bought a horn design from PWK and it fucking sucks. This was supposed to be for an XL 12.

https://webmail.us.army.mil/attach/01.png?sid=&mbox=INBOX&uid=3390&number=4&filename=01.png

Paid $60 bucks for that shit.

Link doesn't works. ;) (and firefox says it's not a safe link.)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Damn he is taking some people. He doesnt even give you any angle measurements or anything.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)