Second Skin Audio

SMD 18 vs DC LVL 5 18.....winner has been chosen on pg 9

CJ18

Thanks for all of the input so far guys!!! So far I would say that the DC has the edge but is there anyone here that can put up and argument for the SMDs?

It has no edge...none.

There is no motor cooling technology, it isn't machined in house, it would not have the thermal capacity of the smd, the suspension will never be as linear, it will never move as much linear. Linearity is all that matters, if it is not linear it is distortion. Period.

The BL curve is far from parabolic as the SMD is....if a regular SGLC design was that great we would have made the SMD that in production (Remember the SMD from 3 years ago with the double stack of 11.25" magnets and the regular top plate...yeah that is WAY cheaper to build), but we decided not to because supergauss is leaps and bounds ahead of a standard SGLC design.

Why would we spend the time and effort in machining all of this stuff in house and building something RADICALLY different when we could build something for 1/4 of the cost of the SMD and still sell it for the same money?

Make 4 times the profit, and take a step back 15 years in time in technology...makes sense to me. Sign me up. I'd love to turn 400% profit in my shop on a woofer. That'd be sweet.

The comparison is, it is not comparable. Nothing is comparable to the SMD...it's just the truth.

That's a pretty good argument for the SMD

Warning, you are taking advice from a noob with 0 install experience at this point, any advice I give is strictly based on information gathered via the intrawebz and lots of forum surfing over a period of 2 months

If you are considering buying a DC Level 5, do it. Don't think about it, just do it. It'll work.

go to lowes get bricks wait in yard. throw said brick at vehicle. If thats me and that just happened to me Im going looking for him after that.

1. Goto lowes

2. Get some bricks

3. ???

4. PROFIT!!

Profit from everything. LOVE ideas like this. xD

It has no edge...none.

There is no motor cooling technology, it isn't machined in house, it would not have the thermal capacity of the smd, the suspension will never be as linear, it will never move as much linear. Linearity is all that matters, if it is not linear it is distortion. Period.

The BL curve is far from parabolic as the SMD is....if a regular SGLC design was that great we would have made the SMD that in production (Remember the SMD from 3 years ago with the double stack of 11.25" magnets and the regular top plate...yeah that is WAY cheaper to build), but we decided not to because supergauss is leaps and bounds ahead of a standard SGLC design.

Why would we spend the time and effort in machining all of this stuff in house and building something RADICALLY different when we could build something for 1/4 of the cost of the SMD and still sell it for the same money?

Make 4 times the profit, and take a step back 15 years in time in technology...makes sense to me. Sign me up. I'd love to turn 400% profit in my shop on a woofer. That'd be sweet.

The comparison is, it is not comparable. Nothing is comparable to the SMD...it's just the truth.

Wow. So the SMD is the end all be all??

to me it seems like the SMD was built to be like a jack of all trades subwoofer.

But its also true that something that does everything, doesnt do anything perfectly.

Wow. So the SMD is the end all be all??

to me it seems like the SMD was built to be like a jack of all trades subwoofer.

But its also true that something that does everything, doesnt do anything perfectly.

There is nothing else on the market that is remotely comparable. Period.

End all be all?

Nah...this is still VERY conventional.

Authorized Ascendant Audio Dealer! Message me for information.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -Albert Einstein

"I have a plausible excuse for not liking you. And you know why."

sure youve already been told this weather though PM's or on here if i missed it, but dwight is somewhat reliable on his info :) jk, but thats what ive been hearing too about the neo, late sept, to oct. it should be released, the LVL 6 is strictly team DC right now IIRC, the SMDS are monsters in person, photos do no justice, sadly i have not heard them but ive seen them ( trippi's hummer at carlisle) but people were claiming they heard them from the stands which were about 5 football feilds away, then again DC's can take power all day long in 100degree heat and not budge ( derricks integra ) and those are lvl 5 18's, now with his 2 with carbon cones they dont even get warm from what hes said, i wouldent hold your breath on the neos or lvl 6's, the SMD's are what 1200 a piece? and the lvl 5's are only a 3 figure price, id say throw 2 lvl 5's on the warhorse and let them rip all day

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

i say SMD's, and a turtle.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Way to bash a product! You come off as a dick. I'll put my 4 against 4 of those in a trailblazer any day, every day... On the meter of course...

I didn't bash anything. Hop off of that horse right now before you get bucked.

There is a difference in bashing, and telling the truth. I, am telling the truth. Whether you like it or not. I have no reason to lie about anything when others are asking why the SMD is better. I am telling them why it is.

Now, on to you're scientific analysis. Check this analogy out.

Metering something a vs b is absolutely retarded if you know ANYTHING about acoustics and how things work. You can take 2 CRX's with the exact same everything on them, one blue and one red. The red one will do a 155 with X equipment, take that equipment out of the red one and put it into the blue one and it does a 151.

Drop in and arguing numbers is absolutely retarded. NOTHING is consistent...you only get loud by changing testing and trial and error. Saying OH NO IT ISNT LOUDER IN X INSTALL...is like a 4 year old saying they don't like dill pickles, but they eat sweet pickles. Yeah it's still a pickle...but they didn't like the dill pickle. Just like the blue car didn't like that box and install..even though it was loud in the red one.

If a SGLC design was that great, and supergauss was not superior, why would they even bother with supergauss? I can sell the SGLC for 4 times the profit as a supergauss...why wouldn't I do that? Business is about turning profit to put food on the table. If I make 4 times as much money selling "purple drink" as I do selling grape flavored Fanta...why would I even bother selling the Fanta?

Would it be because it really is better?

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -Albert Einstein

That's a pretty bold statement. it almost makes someone feel as thought so sub will perform as well as the SMD. As good as the sub is, dont you think thats a bit over the top?

Nope..not hardly.

Not until someone sends one to china and attempts to copy it like everybody else does.

:)

As I said...it's still conventional within the sense of the terms conventional. It's still leaps and bounds ahead of anything else on the market within its class. Daily driving musical beat the piss out of scenario is what it is made for...and what it does good.

Way to bash a product! You come off as a dick. I'll put my 4 against 4 of those in a trailblazer any day, every day... On the meter of course...

He's bashing a product because you have no clue what he said when he was describing the technology between the two woofers in question? Then you throw your temper tantrum about " ill put my up against yours anyday" bullshit. Before you can make an argument, why don't you first try to learn and understand what he said before making dumb idiot comments. Me personally I have no clue what da hell Nick says sometimes, but I'm not going to get into an argument between him nor Rusty because I don't have the knowledge both of them have. I will only give my opinion based upon what I have heard and have ran myself. I wouldn't say brand A is better than B when I have NEVER heard brand b run before.

And that's me playing nice. :drinks:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

Archived