Sonic Electronix

Hello my name is james and i was thinking about starting my own online shop and i wanted a little advice. I have a few suppliers for some stuff i wanted to sell Mobile and home audio also maybe computers so basicly a best buy. Only problem i would have is marketing my business i was wondering wha would you guys suggest i do about going to start an online shop?

IMO...I wouldnt bother start one. Theres already big companies sellin stuff w/ a reputable name that would jus put you to shame, it would takee a long time for you to put up a name so I say for your best bet dont do it. It overrated, just stick to your hobby.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

My advice would be to not start a on line store.

the 2 biggest things a on line store needs is inventory advertisement and reputation.

Planning on drop shipping all your products will kill you in the end

you need to get your name out there by going to shows banner advertisements magazine ads word of mouth....

You need to have a good reputable reputation. People need to feel that there making a good choice buying from you and that you will provide them a good service.

If you plan to start a business start out by selling parts and doing installs for your friends. then your neighborhood then your town. If you know what your doing then your work will speak for its self. Hit some comps make friends with other installers become a respected businessmen in the audio industry.

my advice is, sell something, or specialize in something others dont.....

and start with selling in a forum first like here, maybe in the shop owners area here (I forget what its called)

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Guest MegaloManiac

online shop is really difficult especially in car audio.

A lot of companys wont authorize selling items over internet, 1 being memphis. Also if you plan to sell products like Kicker and whatnot the buy-in is ridiculous.

my friend Jt was going to start an online car audio store but it didnt work for those and other reasons as well. Do some more research.

as a shop owner I can tell you that it is very hard to do online sales & have much success. There are thousands of online electronics stores out there. I have my own shop & I work out of my house. (no over head) I do all the work myself. (again no employees = no over head) I catch hell trying to compete with EBAY pricing! Most people that sell online have a huge inventory of products. I buy small amounts of products from my distributors in order to keep my over head costs down. If I bought 1000 amps or woofers at a time I would probably get a much better deal, but what the hell are you gonna do with 1000 woofers when an 18 wheeler pulls up @ your house? Take Big P's advice. Start out small. work from home or rent a small garage & build a solid client base. do good quality work. it won't take long before everyone will come to you looking for a deal rather than going to the bigger shops across town. you can under cut their prices because you have no over head costs. I hope this helps, it worked for me.

dj2q.jpg

Jared Nixon  A.K.A. Jsmoke

My Car Stereo Website: 3rd Coast Customs

My Fishing Website: BigLake411.com

Add me as a friend: Myspace

Download: Check out my Audio Calculations Spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel)

ATTENTION ALL SMD MEMBERS: Do not under any circumstance buy anything from Chassistech! They do not stand behind their products & their customer service is horrible. They do not actually manufacture lowering springs, they drop ship them from Spring Tech. Chasistech.com also does business as Airbagit.com, Streetridepro.com & Truckinsuspension.com. They are all the same company! Do not trust these bastards! Their products are cheap & more often than not, you don't get what you actually order in the first place! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

If you want to stay in business more then 6 months, only sell product that you are authorised from the manufacturer to sell.

Put together a business plan and aproach the manufacturer direct with your ideas.

If you are not authorised you will end up screwing people out of warranty and once your reputation is just another fly by night no warranty support e seller, your sales are gone and the leagal trouble begins.

As a manufacturer of 12 volt electronics for 26 years, I've seen this more times then we have all had birthdays added up.

If you can manage to get manufacturer support, start small.

- A few popular models and a few accessories.

- Look for the most dependable products with lowest return rates.

- 2, 4 and 5 channel amps (not big mono amps that get abused 1500 watts max)

- Accessories are always good. They usually don't break (EQ's, X-Overs, wire, cables... low cost over head items are agood idea).

- State your warranty policy truthfully

- Never ignore your customers requests/communications for even one day (especially problem related communications).

listen to Jon.. the man speaks the truth.. also you will find as an online shop people that you have never delt with before or they send you an email will start saying stuff like he doesnt deliver ( even though the person never sent you any money) and they are waiting on you for a responce even if you did all the above.. and if you are small one bad rap is enough to kill most of your sales

later

Doug

sonicfx.jpgWEST COAST HOME OF THE SPLMAXCUPstocktonsplsig34.JPG