Sonic Electronix

Objective & unbiased recommendation requested

Hello everyone. I'm new to the SMD community and I am seeking an unbiased recommendation on amps and subs. I have a show car (2003 Lexus IS300) and I am in the process of upgrading my current system. I currently have Rockford Fosgate amps (500.1tbd and 600.4), Boston Acoustic SPG 555 10" sub and new Focal 165 VB 2-ways speakers (F & R). The Focals were just installed about two weeks ago. My next step is to replace my current sub and amps.

I am not into the SQL scene but I am more interested in audiophile sound and headroom. My local installer is really into RE subs and Arc amps and is pushing me to go with two RE 10" subs and two Arc amps. I am NOT convinced yet that this is the best way to go and since this is the only equipment he sells I am concerned that I'm not getting an objective/unbiased opinion.

I am also looking into Audison amps and Hertz subs so I wanted to find out what you folks think and if anyone has experience with these brands. I still have the stock head unit, a Clarion equalizer and a JL Clean Sweep. I've also included a few pics of my current system. Many thanks for your help.

100_3548.jpg

100_3545.jpg

100_3544.jpg

100_3549.jpg

100_3550.jpg

100_3546.jpg

From what I'm hearing, hertz and audison seem to be the best. The focal subs are very impressive too. Those brands are quite pricey though

**the best, as in better than mainstream. I'm sure you could spend a small fortune on Macintosh or Zapco amps and say thats better. Those brands are the best in the business as far as amplification, as far as I know. I've found that the best way to approach these situations is by going with what you can get your hands on.

Edited by jdubs

Kenwood DDX 514

DD M3a

DD 9512G

RF 600.4

RF power series 6x8s

lots of zero ga.

Whats coming: Kenwood Excelon screen, DD high end comps, DD 4ch, XS batteries

From what I'm hearing, hertz and audison seem to be the best. The focal subs are very impressive too. Those brands are quite pricey though

**the best, as in better than mainstream. I'm sure you could spend a small fortune on Macintosh or Zapco amps and say thats better. Those brands are the best in the business as far as amplification, as far as I know. I've found that the best way to approach these situations is by going with what you can get your hands on.

Agreed. I could pay an arm and a leg but it isn't the price so mush as what I'm getting for my money. Audison recently came out with a 5.1 amp that can run the 2-ways @4ohms and the subs @2ohms

You could also look into these for subs:

Alpine - Type X

Polk - SR

Image Dynamics -IDMax

A lot will depend on your available airspace/box design.

Many thanks for the information CHEMMINS. I'm aware of all three and tend to associate Alpine with amps and Polk with speakers. I will definitely look into all three. I have no idea at this point what my amp and sub design will look like but I tend to gravitate towards more "subtle and clean" set-ups.

i like the idea of all focal they make GREAT speakers and subs and they also make amps too so everything would match just my .02

That's certainly an option and at this point I haven't decided which direction I will go.

Edited by Mayo

Truth be told, I would do the Audison power, and either Morel, or the Seas Lotus , and also there is still the w7.. ( As much as they are WAY over priced, they are super clean....)

I like Morel alot, but they are a little harder to find....

Seas makes good stuff, everything I have heard of theirs was damn nice sounding.....

JL well it's JL.....

some of you should not give advice ever. With this being a show car how often does it even get played? I would ditch the clean sweep if you are stuck on a stock head. Get an audison bit one. get James Audison amps from here and then get your hands on some hertz components and possibly woofers.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Already bought James Audison LRx 2.9 and installed yesterday. I guess I'm now a so-called "fanboy" of Audison. Hope to stay with Audison for some time. SQ is definitely there and a real clean looking amp.

James is still selling his Audison LRx 1.1k for I believe $475 shipped. Retails for around $900. Being used by him, it probably might as well as be listed as brand new.

Good luck, and nice looking setup.

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Audison----Hertz----Rainbow