High OutPut Alternator

Shouldnt, your factory voltage regulator will stop you from overcharging your car. It most likely will be like 14.3 or so, but no it should not.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

voltage does not equal current.

easiest way to think about it, in my opinion, as your alternator as a generator, which in nature it is. and only produce as much current as needed. and if creating max current the current will be used towards the electronics drawing the current. so most of the time you anticipate where the need is going to be...ie: big 3 and power wires for the amp/amps. not to mention A LOT of alternators have internal regulators that keeps the alternator chargin anywhere from 13.8 to 15.5 at all times. some have external regulators that allow you to adjust the voltage the alternator charges at.

i think a lot of the myth started when racing alternators were first being used and charging at INSANE volts DC that were frying most stock 4g and 8g wiring. but its been years now and most companies and users have learned from experience.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

by getting a H/o alt do i have to worry about it overcharging my electrical if im not playing my system?

What are you running? Are you sure you need a alt? You may be fine with a good battery.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

yeah you definately need to have the capacity to store or use the power the alternator makes if its a huge one, like 300 amp. i mean if you got1 battery and your using a 300 amp alt then yeah your gonna fry something. either the alt is gonna burn up or your gonna fry the battery. if you got a couple batteries to store the power then you should be ok with the system off. trust me i know from experience lol. i had a 240 amp on 1 big battery and it cooked it without the system on

forum2_zpsxe3pvakm.jpg

yeah you definately need to have the capacity to store or use the power the alternator makes if its a huge one, like 300 amp. i mean if you got1 battery and your using a 300 amp alt then yeah your gonna fry something. either the alt is gonna burn up or your gonna fry the battery. if you got a couple batteries to store the power then you should be ok with the system off. trust me i know from experience lol. i had a 240 amp on 1 big battery and it cooked it without the system on

Actually, this is not entirely true. You could run a 350 amp alternator on a single D680 (tiny) battery and not have any problems so long as you start off with a fully charged battery. The only time you could run into a problem, is if you ran the battery dead, then started up the vehicle. The voltage regulator will maintain steady voltage, which prevents anything from getting "burned up." The only problem, is that a very small battery would not like being charged all the way up from dead via 300 amps, but that is an extreme example.

As a general rule of thumb, it is totally OK to run a high output alternator on a stock battery.