Holy Voltage Drop Batman!!!

Ok So here is what i have: Stock 140amp alt, Big 3 with 1/0, NGT Extreme under the hood one positive run to the rear going to a Shuriken bt-60. A 4 channel and my Sae 1200d at 1ohm wired up to the battery. I made sure all my grounds were good in the rear where i grounded the battery and the ground in front is in the factory location. Ok so i bought a stinger volt meter and recieved it today so being at school i didnt have anywhere to install it so i just squeezed it between the terminals on the back battery. My voltage at idle is 13.8 and 12.9 with the car off. I played some decaf at 27/35 on my deck i never turn it past 28. So i hoped out to look at my readings and holy shit! it was going down into the low twelves! I know the first thing you guys will say is gain, yea i checked that i have had it at 5/8 with the bass boost off for the past month and no funny smells and the subs dont sound anywhere close to clipping. So i turned the gain down to 1/4 and it is still dropping to the low 13's high twelves. So either i have been clipping the shit out of my subs for the past month or there is something else going on. P.S. Im getting a dmm tomorrow so i can properly set my gains. It would be great to get some input. Thanks in advance.

did you calibrate the stinger volt meter with a multimeter?

2-10 inch hx2's rfd2110 getting close to 1200 watts rms

PWK enclosure-rear loading folded horn

1-mtx 81000d

1-SAX-100.4

1-alpine h/u

1-set of cdt's euro components

1-set of alpine type's

id say you still need to turn it down a tad... i have a 96amp alt with 2 small stock batteries i idle at 13.8 or so also... and i drop to high 12's on the highway and low 12's at idle... once in awhile it dips to 11.9... but thats about when i turn it down a tad

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

Ok So here is what i have: Stock 140amp alt, Big 3 with 1/0, NGT Extreme under the hood one positive run to the rear going to a Shuriken bt-60. A 4 channel and my Sae 1200d at 1ohm wired up to the battery. I made sure all my grounds were good in the rear where i grounded the battery and the ground in front is in the factory location. Ok so i bought a stinger volt meter and recieved it today so being at school i didnt have anywhere to install it so i just squeezed it between the terminals on the back battery. My voltage at idle is 13.8 and 12.9 with the car off. I played some decaf at 27/35 on my deck i never turn it past 28. So i hoped out to look at my readings and holy shit! it was going down into the low twelves! I know the first thing you guys will say is gain, yea i checked that i have had it at 5/8 with the bass boost off for the past month and no funny smells and the subs dont sound anywhere close to clipping. So i turned the gain down to 1/4 and it is still dropping to the low 13's high twelves. So either i have been clipping the shit out of my subs for the past month or there is something else going on. P.S. Im getting a dmm tomorrow so i can properly set my gains. It would be great to get some input. Thanks in advance.

your freakin out because your voltage drops to the low 12's? my car doesnt even charge higher than 12.4volts. it was an everyday occurance to see my voltage hit 10.0, and i even saw some high 9's. fortunately my kicker amps didnt seem to mind.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

check the voltage seperately at your batteries as well. disconnect them and check them each. one may be toasted.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

You have 2 batteries. correct?

You are checking the power at the amplifier. correct?

You didn't check the front battery at the same time. correct?

What is the voltage at the front battery and at the alternator output?

You may have a different voltage at the front then the back.

You have 2 batteries. correct?

You are checking the power at the amplifier. correct?

You didn't check the front battery at the same time. correct?

What is the voltage at the front battery and at the alternator output?

You may have a different voltage at the front then the back.

yes i have two batteries, i picked up a cheap dmm from autozone today and checked my voltage at my rear battery at idle i am at 13.8 so is the amplifier, I haven't had a chance to check the front battery since my hood is tied down cause my latch is fucked up. And the volt meter is not calibrated yet, but it is pretty damn close not calibrated. So tonight when i head home from school i will check the front battery and alternator and find a new ground spot for the front battery. I just didnt think my voltage would drop that much with what i have and two batteries?

Kenwood kdc-x794

Boston Acoustics S60 components, S65 Coaxials

Jl J2-320.4

Sundown Audio Sae1200d

2 Sundown SA-12's D4

Car Quest NGT Extreme Upfront

Shuriken BT-60 inback

Big3

All Knu Konceptz wire

Stock alternators dont put out as much amperage as a aftermarket one they arent meant too. they are designed to meet the needs of your factory electronics.i had my factory 140a rebuilt by a local shop to 200 when i first started out wired to a 2000w hifonics and kept getting voltage drop. i went from 1 battery in the back to 3 and still had drop. then i bought a irragi 220a alternator and my voltage drop went away no light dimming and stayed in the high 13s.some guys will say factory alternator is fine to just keep adding batteries. the first thing i would do is add another zero gauge front to back beef up both grounds front and back and amp ground.12v flows from ground to positive. thats why they tell you to make sure your ground wire size is the same as positive. as far as clipping your amp as long as you stay in the twelves you should be fine. even though more voltage- amperage equals more wattage.

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Stock alternators dont put out as much amperage as a aftermarket one they arent meant too. they are designed to meet the needs of your factory electronics.i had my factory 140a rebuilt by a local shop to 200 when i first started out wired to a 2000w hifonics and kept getting voltage drop. i went from 1 battery in the back to 3 and still had drop. then i bought a irragi 220a alternator and my voltage drop went away no light dimming and stayed in the high 13s.some guys will say factory alternator is fine to just keep adding batteries. the first thing i would do is add another zero gauge front to back beef up both grounds front and back and amp ground.12v flows from ground to positive. thats why they tell you to make sure your ground wire size is the same as positive. as far as clipping your amp as long as you stay in the twelves you should be fine. even though more voltage- amperage equals more wattage.

Thanks 98hoe! That was what i was looking for, it does not bother me that i have that much drop. It was just surprising to see that much with 2 batts. But i will check my grounds and go from there! And then a run from - to - will come. Thanks for the input!

Kenwood kdc-x794

Boston Acoustics S60 components, S65 Coaxials

Jl J2-320.4

Sundown Audio Sae1200d

2 Sundown SA-12's D4

Car Quest NGT Extreme Upfront

Shuriken BT-60 inback

Big3

All Knu Konceptz wire

Archived