Second Skin Audio

Fiberglass resin

Yes, fiberglass makes the box stronger, but in my case, i only use resin for smoothering the box, and also, i do think it makes my box stronger because i do my 45´s with it :peepwall:

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Ive said it before and Ill keep saying it...resin alone does nothing for strength. only seals any gaps and makes it airtight. you can get it at either fiberglast.com or uscomposites.com and there are others. if you want strength, you have to start layering in some mat or cloth.

Resin virtually has no strength when using it w/o fiberglass mat or cloth, almost pointless to use w/o it. So doing multiple layers w/o mat or cloth = pointless.

This

Resin alone does not add strength, only when combined with mat. Actually, resin alone on mdf will make the mdf brittle. Not to say that it will be brittle to a point that it will shatter or anything, but it does happen...So resin alone will seal and smooth things out great, but not add strength. Get some mat and do a layer of that in there if you're wanting to add strength.

This

Resin alone does not add strength, only when combined with mat. Actually, resin alone on mdf will make the mdf brittle. Not to say that it will be brittle to a point that it will shatter or anything, but it does happen...So resin alone will seal and smooth things out great, but not add strength. Get some mat and do a layer of that in there if you're wanting to add strength.

You got it!

So when your use resin to do those "ghetto" 45's.. how come the box becomes dumb strong and you cant break it without hammers? not to be a dick, and im sure to an extent ur right. the point in doing this is to seal and smooth which it works amazingly. but i agree with mat/cloth is better but its not exactly POINTLESS

i don't 45 my boxes and i still need a hammer to break them :)

So when your use resin to do those "ghetto" 45's.. how come the box becomes dumb strong and you cant break it without hammers? not to be a dick, and im sure to an extent ur right. the point in doing this is to seal and smooth which it works amazingly. but i agree with mat/cloth is better but its not exactly POINTLESS

An excessive amount of resin can actually crack. If your going for sealing or making something smooth, might as well use poly urethane or something.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

if you want a strong box, just brace it as much as you can. You will hear the difference just by knocking the box !

Bracing take some volume off, so tuning may change a bit.

Resin, fiberglass,...waste of time for daily listenings.peepwall.gif

Bracing, bracing, bracing is all you need. It's easy and cheap !

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

that´s why i recommended him only a gallon of resin, and just for your information, not always you are a louder by bracing the hell out a box, i dropped my score 1.2 dbs just by bracing a box for 2 10´s some months ago, guess it liked to flex a little bit hahaha

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/