Sundown Audio

Right or Wrong?

Spitfire2k6

Was he Correct?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is under-powering detrimental to amps and subs

OK I just off the Phone with the dealer that sold me an amp as i sent it back for repair and he shocked me into disbelief of myself and the SMD forum.

He was telling me that powering a 750W RMS sub or 250W RMS was extremely bad for both the sub and amp...

Now as far as I have read and understand after looking a a lot of topics on this forum under-powering was nowhere near as detrimental to equipment as overpowering...

was he right or what's up

Live life to the full... Then TURN THAT BITCH UP!

291nldv.png

The only problem with under powering your sub is that fact that you try to push your amp to hard to achieve more bass in doing so you send a clipped signal that will cause the sub-woofer to overheat and burn up, even if you are not even giving your sub rated power. As long as you set your gain with a oscilloscope or with a DMM you should not have a problem.

The only problem with under powering your sub is that fact that you try to push your amp to hard to achieve more bass in doing so you send a clipped signal that will cause the sub-woofer to overheat and burn up, even if you are not even giving your sub rated power. As long as you set your gain with a oscilloscope or with a DMM you should not have a problem.

Thanks this backs up what I think about the sub but his concern was that even with the gains set correctly the amp could be damaged as its not powerful enough...

Live life to the full... Then TURN THAT BITCH UP!

291nldv.png

Thanks this backs up what I think about the sub but his concern was that even with the gains set correctly the amp could be damaged as its not powerful enough...

Not True.. I have my friend hooked up with a Fosgate P3001 on a pair of subs that can take 600rms each with out any problems.

I had to laugh at the fact someone voted yes. Anyways, NO, underpowering is not detrimental to your equipment. The user is detrimental, not the fact that it is underpowered. If you properly set your gains so there is no clipping, neither the amp or sub will have any problems and will give you a long and happy life.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

every fly by nite stereo shop will sell you a amp that most likely not do rated power but says (2000watts) and turn the gain all the way up and most of the time work ok. underpowering a sub is fine as long as you dont clip. i can put my ddm4s(3500each) on some kicker cvrs (500-750 rms maybe) and play fine all day, i did it. but i could make them babys po at will also. what im saying is try to match power of amp to sub or go a lil over its always nice to have headroom cause you will never actually get what amp is rated at in everyday world

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

I had to laugh at the fact someone voted yes. Anyways, NO, underpowering is not detrimental to your equipment. The user is detrimental, not the fact that it is underpowered. If you properly set your gains so there is no clipping, neither the amp or sub will have any problems and will give you a long and happy life.

i was going to laugh but then i saw that 2 people said yes and i simply face-palmed.

underpowering a sub is like having a bench with a 300lbs weight limit and only putting 100lbs in it. just because it can take 750w it doesnt NEED 750w to operate. not only that but the 750w amp is only doing about 300w on music.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I bet he wants to sell you an amp..............or he is just not very knowledgeable...

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

i guess it could be bad for the amp as it would be running at full to even move the sub but if its a rated amp it should run at full all day every day anyway. but i'd like him to explain why?

you saying that though i went to an audio shop for an amp for my 1000w subs and he tried selling me a 3400w amp that put out 200w rms lol. Glad i did my research before i went. It seems to me most audio shops are retail only these days keeeeeerching $$$$

Shame really as thats what kills the scene i think.

imo a good retail outlet is both very knowledgeable and will offer you good experienced advice. this is where forums like this come into thier own as the people here are both friendly and actually know thier stuff.

hell i'm still learning now :)

Archived