how many batteries can i run off a standard 100 amp alternator

basically i want to run about 10,000 watts rms and I CAN NOT FIT AN AFTER MARKET ALTERNATOR, the standard alternator is putting out 100amps so the question is if it possible how many batteries will i be able to connect up to the standard 100amp alternator to power 10,000 watts rms and will it cause any damage to the batteries or the alternator? and will the standard alternator be able to charge the batteries?

i have been planning a big project and recently found out that i have no chance with fitting an after market alternator so before i call it quits i thought i had might as well ask about putting heaps of batteries in the boot/trunk

if you HONESTLY have to ask how many batteries to run on a 100 amp alt to run 10kw, and you say you cant fit an aftermarket alt, you are in way over your head.

wow, i went to bed just after i posted the starting post and i only woke up about 2 hours ago to then find 10 replies already.

ok i live in Australia i own a 1999 WH Holden Statesman running a series 2 3.8 litre Buick v6 that is rear wheel drive so the engine points north/south, nobody around here do any upgrades for alternators at all. i have been in contact with Matt from Mechman which is a pretty cool guy and after i sent pictures of the engine in my car and even though i do have the space and money to do it he said that there are none of these cars in America and even though i am using an engine that is used in a quite a few cars over there the engine in the cars over in America are front wheel drive not rear wheel drive like mine and the alternator and bracket on my engine for some reason is different, and that the only way he can make an alternator to suit it i will have to send my car to him and i dont really want to ship my car to the other side of the world to get an alternator fitted so you can see why i am stuck with the standard alternator.

after matt from Mechman told me this i thought about not bothering with the idea but then i though i might just ask about running extra batteries just in case there is a another way, i really dont consider myself as a genius when it comes to car audio so if i seem to be a bit of a noob chances are i am a noob.

so basically the answer from you guys is that yes i can run as many batteries as i want but it will put an extreme amount of load on my 100amp alternator (which i am not surprised about) and that the batteries will not be able to charge at full tilt so the only way i will be able to keep the batteries charged is by playing 1 song loud and then once the song has finished i will have to turn it down and wait for the batteries to charge in between songs which would be very annoying, or i will have to try and find a decent battery charger to charge the batteries that can plug into a 240ac volt power plug, for some reason the power company over here thought running 240 ac volts is a good idea even though yes there is a high chance it will kill you if you come in contact with it.

wow, i went to bed just after i posted the starting post and i only woke up about 2 hours ago to then find 10 replies already.

ok i live in Australia i own a 1999 WH Holden Statesman running a series 2 3.8 litre Buick v6 that is rear wheel drive so the engine points north/south, nobody around here do any upgrades for alternators at all. i have been in contact with Matt from Mechman which is a pretty cool guy and after i sent pictures of the engine in my car and even though i do have the space and money to do it he said that there are none of these cars in America and even though i am using an engine that is used in a quite a few cars over there the engine in the cars over in America are front wheel drive not rear wheel drive like mine and the alternator and bracket on my engine for some reason is different, and that the only way he can make an alternator to suit it i will have to send my car to him and i dont really want to ship my car to the other side of the world to get an alternator fitted so you can see why i am stuck with the standard alternator.

after matt from Mechman told me this i thought about not bothering with the idea but then i though i might just ask about running extra batteries just in case there is a another way, i really dont consider myself as a genius when it comes to car audio so if i seem to be a bit of a noob chances are i am a noob.

so basically the answer from you guys is that yes i can run as many batteries as i want but it will put an extreme amount of load on my 100amp alternator (which i am not surprised about) and that the batteries will not be able to charge at full tilt so the only way i will be able to keep the batteries charged is by playing 1 song loud and then once the song has finished i will have to turn it down and wait for the batteries to charge in between songs which would be very annoying, or i will have to try and find a decent battery charger to charge the batteries that can plug into a 240ac volt power plug, for some reason the power company over here thought running 240 ac volts is a good idea even though yes there is a high chance it will kill you if you come in contact with it.

LOL'd

But seriously, what boiler said. Have you called and asked if you can send em your stock?

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

..... Or option 3..... Buy a different car

1999 Chevy S102 Sundown Zv3-10's1 Sundown saz-4500d2 sets of Sundown CS6.5 Comps. (Doors)

2 10" Sundown NeoPro 10's (Doors)1/0 KnuKonceptz - Power x2- Ground- Big 3

300 Amp External Regulated Excessive Amperage Alt

147.8 Sealed Mic on Windshiled148 30sec. Average Drivers Door open Mic on Windshield

Check Out my YouTube Channel --->>> http://www.youtube.com/user/dmntyo2007?feature=guidehttp://www.stevemead...ld-competition/

You will need at least 200 amps out of that alt to maintain a decent float voltage of 12.5 when hammering at full tilt. You will also more then likely have to rev the alt to maintain that constant 200 or greater amps and you will need every bit of what that HO alt could produce.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

Take out the alternator, ship it to Matt, have him beef it up, and BAM you have a HO alt... Pretty easy if you ask me...

And you can run all those batteries (lets say 16 of them) and wont have to turn it down after 1 song, but definitely keep an eye on your voltage... No biggie...

I honestly do not know why i didnt think of that, i will send an email to Mechman to see what can be done with my old alternator.

• 2 years later...

you got money to run 10kW but can't find a H.O Alt? something just doesn't make sense here. your system is to be ran by your alt not your batteries. just b/c you have the battery power to handle 10kW doesn't mean that it can or at least run it for longer than a burst.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Archived