Sonic Electronix

Throwing out an idea for some midbass action....

Without understaning it completely myself, it is like this. The signal put out by the amp is both DC and AC. The AC signal is "contained" inside the DC signal under normal circumstances. When you turn things up too much, the AC signal reaches the boundries of the DC signal and can go no further. Once this happens, (it shows up as the flat part on a scope) you are in effect (or actually) sending DC to your speakers.

So then instead of receiving ac current to move the driver, it receives a flat load of dc, putting out X amount of wattage, yet not moving the speaker. I am guessing that it is because energy is neither created not destroyed... All of the dc energy goes to making the voice coil hot instead of moving the speaker. Correct?

you seem to have nerd love for this . What I mean by that is you really want to understand how it all works. I'll recommend to you two books

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Wiring-Electrical-Systems-Workbench/dp/1932494871

http://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-Design-Cookbook-Vance-Dickason/dp/1882580109

you will learn more from those books than you could possibly imagine.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

you seem to have nerd love for this . What I mean by that is you really want to understand how it all works. I'll recommend to you two books

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Wiring-Electrical-Systems-Workbench/dp/1932494871

http://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-Design-Cookbook-Vance-Dickason/dp/1882580109

you will learn more from those books than you could possibly imagine.

Thanks!

It is my understanding that clipping is caused by the amplifier. Like when the sine wave goes from being sine-like to 'topping out.' Think of it as your amp bottoming out. See thisto read up on it.

I don't know why, but I know that clipping a sub causes a bunch of heat to build up in the voice coil, thus cooking it.

Edit: I take that back, I do know how... I just don't know why. It's 'cause the amp is pumping out much more power when it clips, enough to fry a voice coil because it is pushed beyond it's ratings

when you look at a sine wave you are looking at exactly what a speaker does. that sine wave is its movement. when you clip the wave has a flat spot on every peak. during that flat spot the speaker is pausing and not moving as far as it should. these pauses act like a moment of direct current because its not alternating. so the sub is moving less, the amp is putting out more, dirty ass power, and the loss of movement in the sub means less air is moving around the voice coil, this seriously hinders the subs ability to cool itself.

hope that makes sense and helps you guys out.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

So then instead of receiving ac current to move the driver, it receives a flat load of dc, putting out X amount of wattage, yet not moving the speaker. I am guessing that it is because energy is neither created not destroyed... All of the dc energy goes to making the voice coil hot instead of moving the speaker. Correct?

yes sort of, DC still moves the speaker, it just does it in one direction, and a speaker only goes so far before it stops. Subs use the alternating motion to move air through/around/in a voice coil to keep it cool. That is how you can over power a subs and not worry about frying coils, by keeping any clipping out of the signal which allows subs to move as seamlessly as possible. The more clipping you have in a signal, the more time speakers spend not moving and not cooling the coil.

edit: seems someone already typed all this :pardon:

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived