Sundown Audio

Gedun XP 10000.1

stereohead69

I have been in contact with Gedun for a few years too. I always talk to China when I inquire for parts. I have been tempted many times to buy this amp. A good idea, if you do buy these amps, have a damn amp repair tech inspect the amp first, and make proper mods before installing it.

I personally talked to Bill about the problem with the Gedun amp maker, and the guy here in Sac that fixes the Gedun amps, and well, they have been a nightmare. I heard of low temp solder being used, poor wire gauges, arcing on the amp chassis.

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I must admitt I was also sorely tempted to purchase the gedun, especially since I could have gotten two of the 5k's for 755 shipped. I decided not too simply because my truck dang near caught on fire the last time I put a high output chinese made amp in it. I was using the AP30001 and it decided to do a Chernobyl on me. It took two weeks just for the burnt electronics smell to fade. From the pictures, the Gedun amps look like jesus in a box, but still looks can be decieving. I ordered a BC3500 from Crescendo this morning, it also looks like a nice peice of equipment and its made in S. Korea.

BC3500DPCB.jpg

I believe this amp is very similar to the SAZ3500 and the AQ3500. I was going to post specs on the amp, but CACO seems to be having issues and I can't remember where I saw the actual companies spec sheet, but here is a users clamp results.

CLAMP42111.png

Yep, I know I totally drug up an old thread and changed the subject!!

hahah these people emailed me several times trying to get me to use their product or i guess put my name on it (and have my own amp or something)... i kept ignoring it, like usual. One day i got mad and said "quit spamming me about running or selling your garbage amps"........but i said it just because i was tired of getting spammed - and the chinese writing in the email also gave me a clue that it was one of "those" amp companies.

i had no idea this is the people you guys were having problems with Bill.........looks like i made the right call. Had i known i woulda really let them have it.

they emailed back and asked why i called it garbage and i told them to quit spamming me and id stop calling it names - they havent emailed since but now im seeing that it IS garbage LOL :peepwall:

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

You're a douche, and your amp sucks. There's a reason why respectable companies have rejected these same amps, and why Gedun/Tunpo amps have such a bad reputation. You're not having to push the amp hard running your 3XLs, so just wait until you have to actually get rated power out of it or try to run it under 1ohm at all.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

I am curious if anyone can answer my question. Why would a company want to use bundled wire groups instead of a copper bar inside the amp? I know wire can carry more current than a solid conductor, but in such short distances the solid bar should suffice easily. My reasoning is because of heat build up in the amp causing the wire shielding to melt thus causing a short. This is what happened in my AP30001.d. The bundled wire got hot enough to melt the shielding and shorted the amp out internally. Funny, the only place the wire melted was where the wires were held tight by zip-ties. Is it a cost thing? Or ease of manufacturing?

actually im pretty sure its the opposite and solid bar is more conductive.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

actually im pretty sure its the opposite and solid bar is more conductive.

Perhaps, but from my understanding current is carried on the surface of a conductor, not through the mass of it. If this is true, then stranded wire will have more surface area than a solid conductor hence allowing the stranded to carry more current. From my understanding, it is all based on the frequency of the current and also on the type, AC or DC. I believe that is why welding wire uses really thin braided strands. I am sure flexability also plays a part in that. I should look it up, but I am almost certain that a 20g solid copper wire has a lower current rating than a 20g stranded wire. I believe as well that the amperage capability of wire is different between automotive and home usage. Of course I am not an eletrical engineer and may not know WTH I am talkinga about.

Of course, my original question was why do amplifier makes use wire instead of a solid unshielded wire or bar. Possibly arcing within the amp?

Stetsom uses a solid "buss bar" inside the amp.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

Stetsom uses a solid "buss bar" inside the amp.

I have not had the opportunity to see the guts of a stetsom amp, I have seen several amps that use a combination of wire and bar. I would think it would be safer to use a bar in high current and high heat areas. Of course, I dont think my Audiopipe would have had a melt down if the wire had not been bundled together, of course I could be wrong. It probably wouldnt have melted if I hadnt been working it so hard with minimal air flow as well.

I am a bit concerned about the amp I just bought. The new amp is a much better design vs the AP3000 and also puts out alot more power. W/O redesigning my current system layout, the new amp will have minimal airflow ass well. Too bad it wasnt designed with cooling fans.

Archived