Sonic Electronix

keep blowing inline fuse from battery

the wiring kit comes with that size fuse for a reason. by just putting a larger fuse you WILL fry the wire. run 2g power wire and 2g ground. make sure your ground is GOOD! if there is paint, scrape it off, rust do the same. check all your wires first. make sure the connections are good at the amp, cap (if you have one), battery, ground.... all of them. if all of those are good, then go with a larger power AND GROUND. and get a slightly larger fuse. use that calculator that was posted and find out what size fuse you will need. do not guess. like someone already said you will end up with a car fire and you will be wishing you just spent the 40 bucks on larger wires.

first check all your wires!!!

Why though? There is no point, He doesn't need 0g, and he sure as heck doesn't need 1/0g, that's just crazy. I like how every time someone asks a question about electrical everyone froths at the mouth and suggest 350 amp alternators and 3 batteries for a 1000 watt amp or something. The heck?

It takes like 500 amps to blow a 200 amp fuse, and even that could take several seconds.

As much as i hate to disagree with you bro, thats not true. And there is always a good reason to upgrade to 1/0 and thats because you'll never have to upgrade from there. 99.9% of people on here are never finished with their cars, and will always upgrade at some point.

And about the fuses, it takes 200 amperes at an instant to blow a 200a fuse. Thats what they are there for.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

lies. iirc a fuse can take 200% rated power for 5 minutes before it blows.

http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm

"A fuse does not blow when the current reaches its rated current."

So your telling me that with my 0 gauge wire (rated at 350a) and my fuse (rated at 250a), if anything bad happens then the wire will fry before the fuse does?

I'm calling shenanigans on that. Putting a fuse that won't blow for 5 minutes is literally useless.

Edit: you may be right, but i think its dumb :shrug:

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

And here is the quote your looking for

"You can see that it would take as much as 10 seconds to blow at double its rated current flow but it would only take approximately 0.1 seconds to blow it if 1000 amps of current passed through the 100 amp fuse."

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

yea i agree with eclipsechris, the point of a fuse is to fail. it is a protection device. its not a good feature for a fuse to blow above the rated amps or else you will fry your wires before the fuse and then there was no reason to put in a fuse because you just started your car on fire. i 200 amp fuse blows at 200 amps. that is the reason for its rating to be 200 amps and not 600. to the OP please read my last comment and follow what i said. you will be fine if you just do what i said....

And about the fuses, it takes 200 amperes at an instant to blow a 200a fuse. Thats what they are there for.

lies. iirc a fuse can take 200% rated power for 5 minutes before it blows.

http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm

"A fuse does not blow when the current reaches its rated current."

There is some truth to what that guy says, but mostly, he is a bit full of shit and exaggerative in his claims. He doesn't use any references or science. Him, along with various forums and other independant sources are part of the reason that the internet has earned a bad reputation. People read something and then spread it around like it is the end-all-be-all- final say on a topic and eventually they come to be known as facts which is a real load of :bull:

04 Monochrome LT Chevy Tahoe

-A few wires, half a speaker, some watts

-All Black 6's

-Paint to Match, SS Bumper, Black grills.

-HID'ed and LED'ed

-A few performance enhancers

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

Why though? There is no point, He doesn't need 0g, and he sure as heck doesn't need 1/0g, that's just crazy. I like how every time someone asks a question about electrical everyone froths at the mouth and suggest 350 amp alternators and 3 batteries for a 1000 watt amp or something. The heck?

It takes like 500 amps to blow a 200 amp fuse, and even that could take several seconds.

As much as i hate to disagree with you bro, thats not true. And there is always a good reason to upgrade to 1/0 and thats because you'll never have to upgrade from there. 99.9% of people on here are never finished with their cars, and will always upgrade at some point.

True, while everyone will probably upgrade at some point, it doesn't mean that they need it now. My point is that if you tell someone that they need 3x as much as they do, they will spend the money sooner ASAP instead of spreading it over a period of time. Or go and spread the word that you need a 200 amp alt and 2 large batteries for a 1000 watt amp, and it will be another one of those stupid car audio rumors. That is how they all start after all.

The best thing would be to tell them that there is no rush in upgrading their electrical to suit a bigger system unless they really need to.

I've been running my Atomic 3K off the same stock 110A alt and a medium sized battery since march now, nothing has broken, but that is probably because those amps can take so much abuse. I'm going to get some more batteries soon though. Upgrade time!

Kranny has already said that it is not true, but I reckon that people should try it and see, short a 350A fuse over a largish battery and see what happens. Well, maybe not, but it would be an interesting experiment.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

There is some truth to what that guy says, but mostly, he is a bit full of shit and exaggerative in his claims. He doesn't use any references or science. Him, along with various forums and other independant sources are part of the reason that the internet has earned a bad reputation. People read something and then spread it around like it is the end-all-be-all- final say on a topic and eventually they come to be known as facts which is a real load of :bull:

wait wait hold the fucking phone. are you telling me there is SOME truth to what the guys over at BCAE post on their site? i have NEVER seen a wrong piece of information on that site, ever. nor have i seen someone point out a wrong piece of information. why dont you actually say my name (if you're talking about me) instead of saying "that guy" or "him".

Kranny has already said that it is not true, but I reckon that people should try it and see, short a 350A fuse over a largish battery and see what happens. Well, maybe not, but it would be an interesting experiment.

i nominate you for said experiment....:)

Archived