Sonic Electronix

Nothing pisses me off more when I go to install someones woofers and I have to use the12volt.com to find ohms etc. for subwoofer wiring. It's even more of a pain in the ass when Im not internet accessible. Is there a printout chart or a mathmatical was to figure out how many ohms your running and if its series/parallel etc.?

I want to be able to do this in my head but the math for EVERY wiring way is different, and theres tons of them: Series & Parallel, Series/Parallel, Parallel/Parallel, Paralell/Series etc, etc, Ive tried to make sense of it all but I can't. Can anyone tell me the math to figure out ohms and how to know if you're supposed to do it in parallel or series? up until now this Is the ONLY thing that has stumped me and one of my biggest problems.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

How I remeber it is you either add the ohm to itself or divide it by itself.

Example:

Dual 2 can either be 4ohm or 1ohm, so it'll be 2+2= the 4ohm load or 2/2= the 1ohm load.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

It's easier if you write it out the first few times till you can get to the point of it becoming second nature. Start out with each sub as it's own and then combine more and more till you get to where you want to go, so say you have 2 D4 subs and want to get to a 1ohm load all you have to do is parallel the first sub since it will drop the ohms down to 2 ohm and then do the same thing to the second sub so now you have each sub at 2ohms and then connect them in parallel down to a 1ohm load.

Series = Doubling the ohm load - would look like D4 + D4 = 8ohm

Parallel = Halving the ohm load - Would look like D4 + D4 = 2ohm

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Adding on to what he said, when you wire in parallel you drop the ohm load in half. When you wire in series you double the ohm load. When you're dealing with multiple subs do it in steps. So say you want to wire 4 D4 subs together to 1 monoblock. Each D4 sub can be wired to 2 ohms on it's ohm when you run them in parallel. Then you can wire 2 of these 2 ohm subs together in parallel again to get 1 ohm per pair of subs, Then you can wire the 2 pairs of subs together in series to get back up to 2 ohms, or in parallel to drop down to half ohm.

Ok I think I get it the12volt.com made it so damn confusing... Question how does D4 + D4 = 2 OHM if you havling them wouldnt it be 4 OHM? or do you do 4/2 + 4/2 = 4 then divide that by 2 and you get 2? since it's two woofers? If not im confused on that one...

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

That wouldn't be parallel thought that'd be Series/Parallel which means Series on the coils and parallel on the subwoofer. This is also what confused me... How do you know when its acceptable to bridge the coils and when its not? cause you could technically bridge ANY DVC woofer but on the12volt.com it shows only curtain combos can be Series/Parallel not just any subwoofer.

For instance 2 x 4OHM DVC parallel/parallel is 1ohm but series parallel its 4ohm i dont get that? how do you know when you can do series/parallel

Oh I c... when you add another woofer it drops the ohm load in parallel so 1 4ohm DVC is 2 OHM parallel and add another you get 1 OHM... ok so parallel is pretty damn easy, series is where I get confused.

Edited by Sammitch0

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

i still dont get how 4 8 ohm subs in series is 3 ohms. shouldnt it be 1 ohm?

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!