Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

Recommended Posts

Posted

My sub has super frayed wires (looks like a lil ball of burlow) under the cone. Its a dc 4xl and I was wondering if this would cause bad sub noise. My sub sounds like the lp filter is set way to high and I turned it up once and it got really crazy bad annoying like a piece of plastic vibrating out of control. And my other question is can a sub shop repair this or do I have to send it to DC?

Posted

The frayed tinsels usually come from the tinsels hitting the cone or spider during high excursion.

Im not sure how old your woofer is, but I know Rusty did to somethings to stop this from happening on the newer woofers, such as sewn tinsel leads to the positive rolls of the spiders, to eliminate the tinsels slapping and being worn down.

Chances are if you have the none sewn tinsel leads that go from the speaker terminals on the basket into the cone under the dustcap you can fix this problem yourself very easily.

You just need some new tinsels :)

I am pretty sure he now uses epoxy to hold his dustcaps down (some of the older woofers used a rubber cement type glue), either way as long as it is not ca glued you can take a hair drier on the high setting, or preferably a heatgun on the low setting and go around the dust cap where it glues to the cone and heat up the glue to make it more pliable, once the glue is heated up, you should be able to take something like a small flat head screw driver and seperate the dust cap from the cone reviling the connection of the tinsels to the voice coil. They will be soldered and covered with epoxy to hold everything tight and secure. But you should be able to remove them, solder some new tinsels in, and cover the joint with glue.

The dust caps being plastic should make them reusable also :)

You can most likely talk to Rusty and he probably willing to sell you new tinsels and some glue if needed.

However if these are the older woofers without the sewn tinsels you should really just recone the woofer(s) and get the updated soft parts (spiders, surrounds, voice coil, tinsels) and never have this problem agian.

I strongly suggust not sending the woofer out for a recone except to DC Audio, or a place like PSI / www.fixmyspeaker.com due to the fact that some of these other "non car audio" brand speaker rebuilders do not have the high grade parts to rebuild a speaker meant to take thousands of watts, and handle high excursion.

 

 

Posted

Yea, pics would help alot, but what I'm getting out of this is that your tinsel wire is coming apart. As it comes apart, it will not conduct as much current and creating resistance which will either eventually cause it to heat up and do bad things, or just eventually fall apart completely. Either way, I see a recone in your future.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

Posted

Alright sorry I couldn't get pics up I couldn't figure out how to do it from my phone and my parents havnt got internet in the new house yet. But I found out it was my electrical tape on the tinsels makin the noise so I took all it off and put duct tape over the pad with fuzz on it so the tinsels wouldn't tangle up in it more and she sounds good again. Now about these tinsels where can I get them and how do I get them to stay down away from the cone like the other side?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4734 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...