03' Tahoe Build - 2 RE Audio 18s - full ICE install... And a Cummins 4bta Swap

Hey guys... I pulled the box today and installed the all thread bracing... I ended up running 2 runs front to back and 1 side to side... I drilled a 1.5" hole in both sides then inset the all thread in the sides as to not hit the plastics on the interior of the truck on reinstall.

My boss also let me go pick up the sheet of mdf I needed and I built the baffle... the fit is a bit too snug yet... but I'm gonna take care of that tomorrow I think...

Anyways... onto some pics...

First off... "You know when you have too much invested in car audio when..... ..... ....."

1216001727.jpg

"When you need a fork truck to re-install the enclosure"

and on a more serious note...

Port installed and bracing done...

P3010003.jpg

P3010004.jpg

P3010001.jpg

P3010002.jpg

And a shot of the baffle... double thick... glued and screwed.

P3010005.jpg

Now... since im using a double baffle... will I still need to run a 2x4 front to back in the center of the box to support the center of the baffle? I cant use all thread there... so I didnt know if it was needed.

And about the mounting screws?

Thanks guys

-Chris

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
3" Lift / 315/70/R17 Goodyear Duratracs
Eclipse AVN6620 Touchscreen Head Unit
Hifonics BRX3016 - 3krms @ 1ohm
2 RE Auido SX 18s - 14.5^3ft net @ 30hz w/ 200^2in. port
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

nice build! i love big boxes :P, should be a bit louder than your 4x 8"s id say :P

i used the biggest gauge button head screws i could get through the mounting holes on my RE MT 18 and they held fine, especially with the subs facing up, if they were upside down or in a flat wall or something id maybe think about using something stronger...

2010-12-17200917.jpg

keep up the good work

vandersexx-1.jpgdeafaz-1.jpg

^^^ clicky pics for build logs ^^^

Australia-03-june.gif

Hello again...

Baffle is complete... all holes pre-drilled and the drivers are ready to be mounted...

I picked up some #10 2" pan head sheet metal screws for driver mounting... plenty long enough to go through both baffle sheets.

Only question I have before finishing it up is do I need to brace the baffle? Should I run a single 2x4 front to back under the center of the baffle or is it even worth it since I'm using a double baffle?

Thanks alls... should be playable come tomorrow.

-Chris

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

Hey alls...

Well... the drivers are installed and the system is playable... however there is MUCH more work to be done...

Before I go into that... here are some pics..

1.jpg

Yes I know I missed my mark with the screws in the middle... but oh well... they will be hidden so I'm not too concerned about it at the moment.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Now... Ive ran into a few issues...

First off, I have an odd noise coming from my enclosure/drivers when cranked and hitting low notes... almost a knock mixed with a creak/howl.. My only guess beides bottoming out the drivers (which cant be considering im not even pushing 900 each on em') is the port. I didnt glue/seal the port in place because I wanted it removeable... so there are only a few screws holding it in... I'm guessing air is blowing around the port between the port and the box which is moving the port and making it rattle... other then that, I dont have any ideas...

Also.. I need to lengthen or replace my rca cables... I couldnt mount the amp because they are about 1' too short so the amp is sitting off to the side for the moment which I dont like...

And then there is the little issue of my power supply... dropping the amp down to 1ohm has made it REAALLY power hungry so multiple batteries are going to be a must as is a h/o alternator...

Considering how tight these drivers are... they hit HARD... I'm going to have to invest in some sound dampening material in the near future... but for the time being, Ive got the amp turned way down so I dont kill the charging system or rattle the truck to pieces.

With that all being said... Its loud... if I open the rear hatch, you can stand 50+' away and feel like your sitting front row at a rock concert... I'm very happy with the outcome.. I just need to get the little issues taken care of and it'll be solid.

If anyone can point me in a direction as far as the noise I'm hearing... please do.

Thanks for the help guys... more to come in the near future.

-Chris

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

on ur possible port rattle try wedging sum cardboard or sumthin like that between it and the box to hold it snug since u wanna keep it removable. at least that way u can take it out and do wat ever with it and not have to go back and do anything special to the box

forum2_zpsxe3pvakm.jpg

Hey alls...

Just a small update... I'll be ordering my xs d3100 for underhood this week and also picking up my longer rca cables so I can properly mount the amp...

Ive got an eclipse double din touch screen nav system sitting in the garage going to waste... so I will most likely be installing it as well before too long.

Progress will be a bit slow for a while but there will be progress none the less.

Thanks for all the help and input guys.

-Chris

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

very nice truck man, looks clean, also, great install hommie, you have great skills for beeing a guy that have only used a 4 10´s sub box for 6 years hahaha, welcome to the forum by the way!

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

^^^

thanks... lol

Ive built quite a few enclosures for others as well as doing multiple installs over the last few years... but I'm by no means a pro.. and Ive come to realize the only way to become better at doing something is to talk to and listen to the advice of the guys who are better and who have been in the game longer... but I suppose that goes along with just about anything.

I just wish the friggen weather would clear up so I can start making my cover panels and clean the back of the truck up a bit... I'm not a big fan of having bare wood showing :pardon::peepwall:

I'm also it a bit of a debate on what alt. to run... but I can hold off a bit on that...

-Chris

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

Archived