Sonic Electronix

yes, when the wave becomes flat that makes it DC..it is no longer alternating.

So who defines how long an alternating current sits still before it's not considered alternating anymore?

All AC is DC. but not all DC is AC.

and amp is NOT capable of infinite power...FINITE power...an amp can only put out a certain amount of power. after that...it's just distorted output.

again...you youngsters have a lot of information, but there are holes in that information. i have been doing this a long time. post count notwithstanding, I have many many years of experience doing this correctly. Theory is not up for debate. and your understanding of that theory is lacking.

let's use your example. an amplifier that is capable of handling 8 volts of input is connected to a HU that is capable of 6 volts of output. Using pure theory here, mind you. to match the 6 volt HU to the 8 volt amplifier you would turn the gain up 1/4. when the HU is making all 6 volts and the gain is properly matched turning the gain up any more is only going to clip the output, not increase power. at 6 volts of output and the gain properly matched the amplifier is making maximum power and is incapable of making any more...do you see now where you were mistaken?

I'm sorry, that was a type error i meant finite ;)(that's what i said in the second part..)

I know that postcount don't mind, i've seen that you are the T3 audio sales manager.

Wait, i have a question how much procent of distortion are we talking about when the Hu output matches amp imput? (do we talk about 1%THD, 5,10,20, 50% of THD?)

Because that really mathers, that's what you aren't thinking about.

I personally just make sure the wave is a perfect sine so that should be close to the 1% thd.

And do you think THD doesn't has something to do with the amount of power a amp makes? (maybe we could continue this conversation in chat?):)

EDIT:sanitarium i have just read you're post, but read mine, because thd is where that theory fails,how much amount of distortion do you have when you have "perfectly" set the gain on the amp?

This is why I was specifically talking in theory. We leave THD+N out of the equation.

Before my current position with T3 was the VP of sales and marketing with a Chinese company and before that I was the technical director at Powerbass. before that I was in Product Planning at eclipse. I have years and years of constant experience...during that time I have not stopped learning. I have grown to a point where I can teach, but i still know when to shit my mouth and listen...

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

what are the other aspects? and it can't make anymore clean power but as for dirty power it will increase i'd bet if you clamp tested an amp with it make perfectly first then clipped it you'd see a power increase.

And i do know the difference between AC and DC current just because the wave becomes flat doesn't make it a DC current

yes, when the wave becomes flat that makes it DC..it is no longer alternating. if you measure a DC signal on the scope it will show as a flat ling above or below the x-axis.

we're talking years of actual hands on experience to learn the little nuances beyond theory. When someone with real world professional experience comes in and shares that experience with you, instead of telling him he's wrong because you disagree, ask why. learn something.

I know it becomes flat but if it was TRUE DC current it would stay there for the entire time it was playing but it will go down and cross the "0" point and switch, causing it to be AC current dude just cause im not old doesn't mean im wrong. I know the waveform or electricity. thanks

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

So who defines how long an alternating current sits still before it's not considered alternating anymore?

all spikes ans square waves have a point where the wave stops rising and begins falling. a sine wave is the ONLY wave that does not stop. When it clips, even at 1% THD+N, there is a moment of DC. This is why it is so important to properly gain match, and equipment match.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

all spikes ans square waves have a point where the wave stops rising and begins falling. a sine wave is the ONLY wave that does not stop. When it clips, even at 1% THD+N, there is a moment of DC. This is why it is so important to properly gain match, and equipment match.

how bout we just agree that the desired audio type AC current is a clean sine wave.

And if you look closely enough, even a sine wave has a stopping point ;)

how bout we just agree that the desired audio type AC current is a clean sine wave.

And if you look closely enough, even a sine wave has a stopping point ;)

yes of course it has a stopping point just like you throw a ball in the air it stops for a milisecond just like our subs do.

This is why I was specifically talking in theory. We leave THD+N out of the equation.

Before my current position with T3 was the VP of sales and marketing with a Chinese company and before that I was the technical director at Powerbass. before that I was in Product Planning at eclipse. I have years and years of constant experience...during that time I have not stopped learning. I have grown to a point where I can teach, but i still know when to shit my mouth and listen...

So you do agree with me or not , if you do use THD.

Because i don't like to send 20% THD to my subs because that's the most that the amp can handle.

See what i mean? :)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

well...yes and no. THD+N can also include a warped signal, not just a clipped signal. imagine a sine wave, now make that sine wave out of another sine wave so the line isn't clean...instead it's wavy. that is also part of THD+N. Then there is the noise to add in,,,or +N. total harmonic distortion plus noise. Noise is what the amplifier adds to the signal that wasn't there before. You can have a very distorted signal without clipping, and that, too, can damage a speaker.

Principal

well...yes and no. THD+N can also include a warped signal, not just a clipped signal. imagine a sine wave, now make that sine wave out of another sine wave so the line isn't clean...instead it's wavy. that is also part of THD+N. Then there is the noise to add in,,,or +N. total harmonic distortion plus noise. Noise is what the amplifier adds to the signal that wasn't there before. You can have a very distorted signal without clipping, and that, too, can damage a speaker.

you got that right! thats why a zoom on a O-Scope is VERY useful

Thanks for clearing that up for people. :)

But i was just talking about a sine wave and noise shouldn't be that bad in a decent install. :P

SO you do agree on the part where i said 1% thd will produce less power then 10% THD, without noise.? (on the same amp offcourse)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived