Sonic Electronix

i really dont think i have a subsonic filter that I can adjust. all i have on it is the lowpass and the gain and master/slave switch to adjust. other than that i do not have a subsonic knob. my model never came with it. but im sure it was clipped. and hey just a dumb question, i know that these are not by any means like a oscope (which i will snatch and do the gains myself this time, EVERYTHING MYSELF) but does the clip led on the amp flicker at a good level or is it that by time it flickers its too late. as i said thinking about this long and hard i think i was lied to about the box i have. they said it was tuned to around 35Hz but when i played the frequency sweep tests (80 to 30Hz) i noticed that 60 appears to be the loudest and hardest hitting frequency in my box. so i think i was screwed and the box was tuned so high that by me playing the music that had low lows that it caused a total loss in cone control and that i bottomed it out. i did notice that a few times i did hear it "hop" and slam against the ARTIC of the magnets assembly and plus the outside of the voice coil has scratch marks on it (it had one when i first got it from my shop) but im sure this all contributed to it. my coil is now totally black, has 0 for resistance, and is totally dead. but mike, since you seem to know your stuff, can you design me a box on here? or does anybody on here have any very good knowledge of a schematic i can get to make a box. i have ALL the tools, the router, drill, boards, and hardware for it all and i know how im going to do some of the small features like bracing and terminal bolts and all that but for designing a big ass box that the SMD will love im not sure and like someone said, i dont want to disappoint anyone on here with a shitty ass system. i want to get a very nice and loud system but again i want to be slamming at rock music but also have the ability to hit hip-hop. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me!! lol.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I can design a box for you. But since it seems like your willing to learn why don't you try designing a box. Go to the the subwoofer/box section and download Torres (sp?) box calculator it's right at the top. Just play around with the dimensions until you get the desired net volume tuning freq. and port area. If you run into any problems I can help you out then when you come up with a design post up the specs and ask if people with experience with SMD's can check out your design and if they think it will peform well.

Edit for grammar

4 fully loaded Fi sp4 15's

2 Crescendo bc5500s

Crescendo c1100.4

6 focal mids

Vifa tweets

5 XS Power d3100's

Pioneer avh-p4200dvd

All crammed into a mustang.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150569-mikeg321s-fi-nendo-mustang-getting-walled-videos-page-4/

what freq do you think is good for a smd? again its mostly for rock and metal and some hip hop. i want it to slam hard as hell too btw but not lose cone control (i will post pics up later of what the cone looks like, its fucked up big time, i sent kicker a nice email dry.gif about this and i will see if the bastards will do anything with it to at least get me a cheap recone to sell it so that it works because i dont want to fuck someone over and get it so that they right off the bat need a recone to get it to work, or to get a l5 or l7 or something ya know. well give me the tuning freq and at about what cubes would do it justice. i know they have 4-7cuft ratings from aa themselves but what do you think would help me out? i do plan in the late future to get another bigger amp (if possible like i said another 2k6d to strap to my current one) and then get another smd. i do appreciate all of your help and am very thankful that you are all helping out a moron like me :P lol. but when i do get this build a moving i will make a entire build log on it all to share with everyone.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

A good start would be 5.5 cubes net tuned to 33hz with 16^2" of port per cube. It's really just a lot of trial and error what works great for someone with a different vehicle might sound like shit in yours.

4 fully loaded Fi sp4 15's

2 Crescendo bc5500s

Crescendo c1100.4

6 focal mids

Vifa tweets

5 XS Power d3100's

Pioneer avh-p4200dvd

All crammed into a mustang.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150569-mikeg321s-fi-nendo-mustang-getting-walled-videos-page-4/

ok, so heres the update. i tried to test the resistance on the coils but my damn multi meters read at 0 ohms on anything, even speakers that i know arent blown so my multimeters are busted. but when i disconnected coil 1 from my amp, it worked fine and let me turn the volume up. when i disconnected coil 2 and ran only coil 1, it shut off. so coil 1 is whats fried on my sub. but here are the pics of this fucked up disaster.

2010-12-21_22-30-25_756.jpg

2010-12-21_22-30-08_760.jpg

2010-12-21_22-28-41_529.jpg

2010-12-21_22-28-29_373.jpg

And yes those white marks on the coil are from it rubbing somehow inside the woofers "BAM" assembly as kicker calls it.

and the first 2 pics are of what i was talking about where the cone bubbled up and rubbed inside as well. i really dont know what the hell went on with this but i emailed kicker and im hoping to get a super cheap recone or they can shove their stuff so far up their ass that it will come out their mouths. im getting rid of all my kicker junk i own and going to a better company (Ascendant Audio)

Even when you tune low the box will still play rock no problem. I currently peak at 28hz and rock isn't an issue.

Clipped music happens, but if you're going to go full tilt you should be listening to music you know is clean. Outside of that the clip light AFAIK should have a tiny bit of blink to it, if it's blinking fast or just ON that's not good. It's not "too late" as some clipping doesn't matter in the short term, but doing it on a regular basis is what smokes subs.

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

and the first 2 pics are of what i was talking about where the cone bubbled up and rubbed inside as well. i really dont know what the hell went on with this but i emailed kicker and im hoping to get a super cheap recone or they can shove their stuff so far up their ass that it will come out their mouths. im getting rid of all my kicker junk i own and going to a better company (Ascendant Audio)

i dont see anything in those pics that they should cover. warranties dont cover burnt coils for a reason. i ran 4krms to my solo-x 12 for a year, and my coil never looked like that. im seeing operator error all the way.

i dont care what company you go with. if you keep up with the same operating habits, then youll just kill that stuff too. ill give you $100 for the bam assembly of your solo-x.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Hugh, yes i know its all on me. i admit it. i should have just built the damn box myself and went on here and made sure what it was tuned to. and plus the box is really small for a solox as it is. im just looking to sell the damn box and sub and start that from stratch. thats all i want to upgrade is the sub and box since my amp, wiring, batts, alt, and radio are in great shape and do their job for me perfectly. i just wonder if the oscope i had the guy tune mine with either wasnt calibrated correctly (if you calibrate them idk, i never used an oscope in my own hands) or if he just said he did it when he didnt. but it is my fault since i hammered that sucker to death but again that clip led was never on, even a slight flicker wasnt existant from it since the only time that light will flicker is when my h/u is up to 21 and i have real heavy bass hitting, other than that i have never had that led turn on. and i had my volume at 15 if not less. but i really think that my dumbass is finally catching onto the trend of me wrecking my subs because my other ones were in super small boxes for their recommendations.

Archived