Sonic Electronix

Subwoofer Not Giving ANY OHM Reading on DMM

I was installing 4 DVC 4 OHM Subs, I got a off reading of 8ohm at the end of the speaker wire. I started measuring the OHMs reading on them. I am getting a solid 4ohm reading from one of the voice coils, but for the other voice coil im getting NOTHING. It shows no connectivity.

ANY IDEAS? I would think with a blown voice coil/sub i would be getting atleast something?

New Voice Coil?

3d7304fe.jpg

1/0 Power Wire All Around + Big 3 - $140

Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BD - MSRP $1800

(4) Memphis M3 10" Subwoofers 1600watts $300ea. = $1200

XS D6500 $245.65

PIONEER AVH-P5200DVD 7" Head Unit = $430

Soundstream SC-6T Component 6.5" FRONT $60

Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5" REAR $85

A Bangin system! = PRICELESS!

I'm pretty sure its because of a blown voice coil. Don't quote me on that though

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Open coil. Prob. done for on your coil.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Cool...Looks like ill be looking for a repair. Do I need a full re-cone kit?

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

Damn bro sorry to hear that. I've blown voice coils but the huge amounts of smoke from the burning copper signaled me to turn off my amps. For example the 3rd (and last) type-R I blew (from lack of healthy voltage and clipping) had 1 voice coil @ 2ohm and the other voice coil @ 4ohm. Both coils were supposed to read 4ohm. I imagine if you aren't reading any resistance then they're fully melted *OR* your voltmeter went bad. Personally I haven't seen less than 1ohm reading on a blown voice coil so I'm not totally sure but it's worth a try to use another meter.

I am going to have to closely examine the tinsel lead. Its about 2am over on the East cost in florida at a chilling (to me at least) 33degrees. Its too cold for my Florida blood to go back out to the car, worked from about 6pm-12pm in the damn cold weather. Not fun! LOL.

I was going to run up the sub to a shop about 20 minutes from me and see if they can have a look at it.

The subs are Memphis Mojo M3 10"s , the old orange basket model with the red, blue, and yellow emblem/dustcap. So theyre an older sub, but I prefer them over the newer memphis.

But I think If i need a recone kit it will be hard to find, because i need the original to match the other 3 subs! Hopefuly it is just resoldering the tinsel...

But to @DWZ that sucks man, luckily I didnt burn it up myself, must have came this way when I bought them a few months ago. Just now had time to install them replacing the kicker Comp 10"s.

We will see what the shop says tommorow... Hope its a simple, inexpensive fix. If not. Might have to reconsider a whole new system :D

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

yeah, vc sounds welded to me. ha but damn. 0! ive smoked a couple and they still end up around .2

-06' f-150...

audio.video.performance.visual

-08' yfz 450

all go. no sho

Id definitely say its a blown coil or open tinsel lead...I just fried my Sa-8 awhile back and i got no reading from it either and its turned out to be coils are shot

Sorry to hear bout the bad run of luck bro... Happens to the best of us :)

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

I was installing 4 DVC 4 OHM Subs, I got a off reading of 8ohm at the end of the speaker wire. I started measuring the OHMs reading on them. I am getting a solid 4ohm reading from one of the voice coils, but for the other voice coil im getting NOTHING. It shows no connectivity.

ANY IDEAS? I would think with a blown voice coil/sub i would be getting atleast something?

New Voice Coil?

Its an open connection somewhere. Either the coil blew open or like has been said, a broken tinsel. If it were shorted you would get continuity or 0 ohms, but you would at least get a reading.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png