First Time Fiberglassing Dorr Pannels ( Pics+ Advice Needed)

kbreudi

good job man! I see you smoked a lot of cigarettes thinking about the project though :D

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

good job man! I see you smoked a lot of cigarettes thinking about the project though :D

lol nah man i dont smoke they are my moms buts....Thanks for the reply steve!

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

Hey! Leave us smokers alone....we dont pick on you ugly folk! :lol::lol:

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Well this is my second attempt at glassing and i think its going better. First was with a kickpannel that turned out way to big and way to ruff. So i started on some door pannels. So far i modled the shape of the original door pannel and made a nice mold. Thet trimmed it a bit. Then i glued down some speaker rings and rapped it with an old t shirt and 4 layers of glass. Its trying now so no picks in the dark. I need some hlp though guys.

1. When using the bondo do i cover the entire pannel or just the ruff and wrinckled spots?

2. I am having two component sets and a 6.5" midbass, i was told to have the midbass in its own chamber and seal it from the others? Its a free air driver so im not sure what to do. Should i even seal the thing at all? I already have it sealed since i did the mold as the bottm and and then rapped it. Shoul i cut some holes in the back of the pannel so the entire setup can breath?

3. What will be the best way to secure the pannel to the original door pannel. It fits over it nice and snug maybe just some screws through it from inside the speaker holes? Maybe epoxy it? Any ideas?

4. And lastly whats the best paint cans to use for primmer, final coat and a sealant? Any speacial spray paint? Thanks for all the help.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

how many layers did you put on to get that shell to come out like that?? im trying to do that... ur shits lookin NICE!

check out my thread

• 2 years later...
Well finnaly decided to finish em up and use spray on deb liner instead of the vinyl.

0916071339.jpg

0916071531a.jpg

0916071531.jpg

0916071636.jpg

0916071635.jpg

0916071919a.jpg

0916071919.jpg

0916072000.jpg

The driver side is trying ill have pics of them installed tomarow. I think for my first fiberglass project it went well. Learned a hell-a lot too. Now i wanna start glassing everything in my car!

Yes I know it's an old thread, but this is how far I read tonight looking for the answer :/ I understood all the steps of fiberglassing the door, I just don't understand once the project is finished how do you mount that piece to the existing door? What keeps that piece attached to the door without falling off when the drivers are powered? (I also posted this question on the fiberglass forum but no answer yet :/)

Yes I know it's an old thread, but this is how far I read tonight looking for the answer :/ I understood all the steps of fiberglassing the door, I just don't understand once the project is finished how do you mount that piece to the existing door? What keeps that piece attached to the door without falling off when the drivers are powered? (I also posted this question on the fiberglass forum but no answer yet :/)

im doing something very similar and will use the dap weld adhesive on the whole panel and then some bolts or screws in spots you cant see. since you have a cavity for the speakers to reside in its not that hard at all.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

im doing something very similar and will use the dap weld adhesive on the whole panel and then some bolts or screws in spots you cant see. since you have a cavity for the speakers to reside in its not that hard at all.

Interesting, I find that is the step that never seems to get posted. The attaching the pods to the door. Maybe it's because people just take for granted that's what will happen, idk, but I find that the most difficult to understand. The glassing part seems very straight forward. I'm going to look up this "dap weld adhesive". I do know it's very hard to stick items to vinyl. Especially that heavy...

• 3 weeks later...

If you wanted to make it a permanent edition to the door panel, I'd say use an epoxy glue (or resin) to get it to stay put. But if you wanted to be able to remove it you could use a couple bolts with the nuts superglued to the other side of the door panel (to make taking them out / putting in easier) or, depending on how heavy your speakers / pod is, use regular christmas tree trim retainers:

image24.jpg

Archived