Component Crossover Impedence

OrionStang

The crossover filtering changes the frequency of cutoff (Fc) as you increase or decrease the impedance on the output side of the crossover. Depending on the crossover design, you may increase or decrease Fc by lowering or raising the impedance (resistance) on the output side of the crossover. ON MOST NETWORKS: Two 4ohm midranges on one crossover in parallel will increase the Fc by 2 versus using one 4ohm midrange. So, you midrange was crossed over at 4k, and now it would be 8k with the two midranges connected. if you series wired the midranges, you would get the opposite effect. Now, that will throw your sound off alot (quality wise) and affect your final impedance seen by the amp, but how much is dependant on the crossover network. A set is a set, don't add more than what is intended to a s single crossover. You can also overload the network by running too much current through it.

As far as input to the amp is concerned and what impedance the amp is seeing, that depends on your crossover orientation (Butterworth is common) A crosser is a large RLC (resistance, inductance, capacitive circuit) Each component in the circuit (crossover network and transducers a.k.a speakers) are in a series/parallel combnination whihc gives you your final load to the amp. Most commerically available car audio component sets are going to give you approx a 4 ohm load on your amp (even with a 4 ohm midrange and a tweeter hooked up to the crossover)

Please don't forget that impedance is completely dependant on frequency and DCR is what we are usually talking about when a sytem is at rest (without musical signal) In fact, if you find a capacitor in series with your circuit you are trying to measure, your DMM can't measure it anyways, becuaee it sees it as OPEN (High Z) condition. It does, however show up as opposition (AC reactance) when dealing with an AC signal (music) on the circuit.

Measure the crossover with a DMM when there is nothing hooked up, then hook up your mid and measure, then tweeter only, and then with everything.

When you get done, look at some crossover schematics and see if it makes any sense to you. Visual learning is always good :clapping:

04 Monochrome LT Chevy Tahoe

-A few wires, half a speaker, some watts

-All Black 6's

-Paint to Match, SS Bumper, Black grills.

-HID'ed and LED'ed

-A few performance enhancers

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

The crossover filtering changes (Fc) as you increase or decrease the impedance on the output side of the crossover. IE: Two 4ohm midranges on one crossover in parallel will increase the Fc by 2 versus using one 4ohm midrange.

As far as input is concerned and what impedance the amp is seeing, that depends on your crossover orientation (Butterworth is common) A crosser is a large RLC (resistance, inductance, capacitive circuit) Each component in the circuit (crossover network and transducers a.k.a speakers) are in a series/parallel combnination whihc gives you your final load to the amp.

Please don't forget that impedance is completely dependant on frequency and DCR is what we are usually talking about when a sytem is at rest (without musical signal) In fact, if you find a capacitor in series with your circuit you are trying to measure, your DMM can't measure it anyways, becuaee it sees it as OPEN (High Z) condition. It does, however show up when dealing with an AC signal (music) on the circuit.

You sound like you know some shit here. Transalate to English please. Basically, will a component set that includes a 4ohm mid, 4ohm tweet, and a crossover send a 4ohm load to the amp?

they dont effect impedance on most sets. some companies may differ though

Alright. The comps in question are RF 1652-S, cheap I know, but what I can afford for now.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I edited my previous post to be a bit more clear...

04 Monochrome LT Chevy Tahoe

-A few wires, half a speaker, some watts

-All Black 6's

-Paint to Match, SS Bumper, Black grills.

-HID'ed and LED'ed

-A few performance enhancers

I have two nice subs for sale, but I am not allowed to help my fellow forum members by offering it to them for a nice price via my signature, sorry

You sound like you know some shit here. Transalate to English please. Basically, will a component set that includes a 4ohm mid, 4ohm tweet, and a crossover send a 4ohm load to the amp?

The link you included was mine. From my understanding, the load to the amp will be 4ohms. The one input from the amp to the crossover will be a 4ohm load, if the tweeter and mid driver are 4ohms. But as stated before, always check it with a DMM to be sure. Mine are on there way, and when they get here I will test them and let you know.

mivtCK.png

Archived