Sonic Electronix

Sub moving more air rather than making bass?

So I built my first box, and when measuring it with a tape measure, it's to perfect specs from Torrez's calc. It's tuned to about 33hz...

Here's the build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/97119-dc-audio-honda-accord-build/page__p__1344538__hl__Audio%20Accord%20build__fromsearch__1entry1344538

Now my problem is.. I have my amps down low now because these 2 12's are still being broken in., .. (I might need to mess with my subsonic? idk.. idek what that is. It only goes to 50hz (I think), but my box is tuned to 33.. so I don't get this stuff..

The problem is like.. The subs are moving, and they just aren't really creating bass.. the box is all sealed off (besides the port..).. Maybe I'm just use to my 2 15 kicker cvrs? Should I try stuffing the box a little? I built it to what DC said. I just don't really know what I'm doing. :D

Edited by TLEJ

Nope, it's not that. Is it because my box doesn't have 2 chambers separating the subs? I mean, they can get loud, but only on weird notes in songs.. Maybe my tuning is just WAY off? .. I mean, I built it JUST like it says, but something is just off.. I tried turning the box all different ways, and it pretty much sounds the same no matter which way it's facing. (Unlike my 15s that sound like NOTHING if they're facing me compared to being spun around backwards)

Edited by TLEJ

phase issue, check your wiring, same thing happend to me

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

The subsonic filter cuts out Frequencies below what you set it too, needed for ported boxes tuned to a FQ so you don't go below the tuning freq of the box and ruined the subs. Like said above put it to 30hz since the box is tuned to 33hz, this will then not play any note under 30hz. If you have it set at 50hz then any bass under 50 will not play and everything over 50 will lol, this could be your problem.

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

It's possible it could be a phase issue.. but would they be moving oppositely? Like one going in, while the other is going out?

And well my subsonic is around 30 I believe, (Need to double check when I have some light), and

Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 30Khz +/- 0.5dB

Variable high pass (50Hz-500Hz & 500Hz-5KHz)

Variable low pass (50Hz-500Hz & 500Hz-5KHz)

Don't know if that helps at all

EDIT: and

What's your amp settings. LPF should be 60-79hz

Subsonic about 30hz

Can you explain where you got the LPF number from? just wondering how it's calculated

Edited by TLEJ

It's possible it could be a phase issue.. but would they be moving oppositely? Like one going in, while the other is going out?

And well my subsonic is around 30 I believe, (Need to double check when I have some light), and

Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 30Khz +/- 0.5dB

Variable high pass (50Hz-500Hz & 500Hz-5KHz)

Variable low pass (50Hz-500Hz & 500Hz-5KHz)

Don't know if that helps at all

EDIT: and

What's your amp settings. LPF should be 60-79hz

Subsonic about 30hz

Can you explain where you got the LPF number from? just wondering how it's calculated

The low pass filter allows frequencies LOWer than the setting (hence low-pass) to get through, while blocking everything above that frequency. Where you set it is mostly personal preference, in a complex install you would tune it to achieve flat frequency response, so the high end cuts off right about where your mids or mid-bass take over. As a basic way to set it, keep it right in the range he suggested. If you have mid-bass or large range mids, then go to about 60hz.

As for the sub sonic filter, the basics are that when using a ported enclosure, if your subs play a frequency that is below the box's tune, the box no longer cushions the sub, and it turns into a free-air situation, which will cause the sub to over extend and bottom out. Ideally, set your subsonic filter right at the tune of your box, if your eyeballing it, go just above the tune to be safe, so if you have a 32hz box, set the subsonic at 32hz or just above it.

As for the low output, first off, did you compensate for material thickness when making your measurements and cuts? if you used 3/4 inch MDF, but didn't compensate for that thickness when making the measurements, your box could be 1.5 inches too small in every dimension. Also, check to see if it's a phasing issue by disconnecting one sub woofer and see if the out put improves. I believe someone said that already... If it does, check your wiring. Also make sure your gain is set correctly, i'm sure you've done that already though.

**Edit did you seal the box with silicone? even if you wood glued the joints, it's always good to go over it again with silicone or a similar sealant, and painting the box with a poly urethane sealant, or latex paint can help seal the MDF itself to prevent microscopic leaks through pores in the material. That usually only matters at higher SPL...

Edited by osamio

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come: