SQMonte Posted January 18, 2011 Report Posted January 18, 2011 Gonna start my box build this weekend and need to roundover the port opening, port walls and sub opening of the second baffle, what size roundover bit will I need? Since i'm going to do a double baffle, should I use the same size roundover bit for edges of the outer baffle? And when I lay down the outer baffle i'm gonna have to cut out the port opening and I heard the cleanest way to do that is by drilling a couple holes, using a jigsaw to cut out most of the opening then use a flush trim bit to finish it off. With a double baffle of 3/4" wood, what size flush trim bit should I get? Sorry for all the noob questions, but when it comes to routers I am the noobiest of the noobs Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03 CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6 Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f
Alex K Posted January 18, 2011 Report Posted January 18, 2011 just a normal router bit? Idk, I just went ot home depot and got a bull nose bit and it works fine. No need to do the whole 1.5" piece of mdf, Just do the edges and you'll be fine. If you must, then round one side, flip it, do the other, then sand the middle. 2006 Nissan Z Track. My Feedback Thread i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.
baaudio Posted January 18, 2011 Report Posted January 18, 2011 with the double baffle i would cut the port and mount one and using a 1" flush cut bit trim the port to flush. then mount the next baffle and flush it up. i use a 1" flush bit cuz its what i have at work. its 1/4 bit and about an 1" long Team NWSPL baaudio Build Log 2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough 4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k
kingsuv Posted January 18, 2011 Report Posted January 18, 2011 You will be fine with a 3/4 roundover bit (not bullnose) For the flush mount since it is double baffle. stack the 2 sheets and drill the same pilot hole. Then you can separate the 2 and cut them out at their appropriate sizes. I like to oversize my flush hole by 1/2 so I can wrap carpet between the sub and the flush. Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out. not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it.
SQMonte Posted January 18, 2011 Author Report Posted January 18, 2011 with the double baffle i would cut the port and mount one and using a 1" flush cut bit trim the port to flush. then mount the next baffle and flush it up. i use a 1" flush bit cuz its what i have at work. its 1/4 bit and about an 1" long Alright, so a 1" flush bit, cool. You will be fine with a 3/4 roundover bit (not bullnose) For the flush mount since it is double baffle. stack the 2 sheets and drill the same pilot hole. Then you can separate the 2 and cut them out at their appropriate sizes. I like to oversize my flush hole by 1/2 so I can wrap carpet between the sub and the flush. Oh boy, you just reminded me I don't have a way to cut the sub openings perfectly round.....I may have to pass on the flush mounted sub this time around<_<But at least now I know I can just get a 3/4" roundover bit, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03 CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6 Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f
finkster Posted January 18, 2011 Report Posted January 18, 2011 Yup 3/4 and call it a day. Post pics fool. DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active Eclipse cd7000 I serve drunks for a living
Alex K Posted January 18, 2011 Report Posted January 18, 2011 You will be fine with a 3/4 roundover bit (not bullnose) For the flush mount since it is double baffle. stack the 2 sheets and drill the same pilot hole. Then you can separate the 2 and cut them out at their appropriate sizes. I like to oversize my flush hole by 1/2 so I can wrap carpet between the sub and the flush. a bull nose will be fine for the port. roundover for edges 2006 Nissan Z Track. My Feedback Thread i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.
Alex K Posted January 18, 2011 Report Posted January 18, 2011 You will be fine with a 3/4 roundover bit (not bullnose) For the flush mount since it is double baffle. stack the 2 sheets and drill the same pilot hole. Then you can separate the 2 and cut them out at their appropriate sizes. I like to oversize my flush hole by 1/2 so I can wrap carpet between the sub and the flush. a bull nose will be fine for the port. roundover for edges 2006 Nissan Z Track. My Feedback Thread i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.
SQMonte Posted January 23, 2011 Author Report Posted January 23, 2011 Well, my router has a 1/4" collett so my options were limited. Nobody makes a 3/4" roundover bit with a 1/4" shaft so that was a no go. I found out a 1/2" roundover would work fine too so that's what I got. Was going to get a Diablo 1/2" bit from Home Depot but it was $34....I found a 3 piece set by Ryobi that had 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" roundover bits for $19.99 so I snatched that up instead, and a Diablo 1" flush trim bit. I found the 3/8" bit is perfect for rounding over both edges on one side of 3/4" material, leaves a nice round profile with no flat spot. The 1/2" bit looks like it's gonna be pretty good for everything else according to the test runs I made on some scrap mdf I had. Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03 CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6 Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.