How To Do The Big 3: Tutorial

Guest MegaloManiac

Yes fuse both. One in between the alt and pos terminal, and one between the battery and the amp. Just make sure you put the fuses as close to the battery as possible so you have the least amount of unprotected wire as possible.

And if your going to run a 1/0 wire back to the amp and the amp only accepts 4gauge, then just trim the wire down till it will fit in the terminal. Or you can buy some reducing terminals.

Yes fuse both. One in between the alt and pos terminal, and one between the battery and the amp. Just make sure you put the fuses as close to the battery as possible so you have the least amount of unprotected wire as possible.

And if your going to run a 1/0 wire back to the amp and the amp only accepts 4gauge, then just trim the wire down till it will fit in the terminal. Or you can buy some reducing terminals.

Ok thanks a lot, do you have an idea of what size fuse I will need for either spot?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Ok thanks a lot, do you have an idea of what size fuse I will need for either spot?

Yea, fuse to whatever the wire is rated for. If the wire is rated at 250A then fuse with a 250A fuse, if it's rated at 300A then use a 300A fuse. Its ok to use a smaller fuse just don't use a fuse that is larger than the wires rating.

Great tutorial. I just wanted to comment and share my results. I just did my big 3 upgrade today. i have an 08' chevy impala. i did not use speaker wire for it is way to expensive for 1/0. so i went to home depot and got some 1/0 600 volt stranded copper and used it.

before i upgraded i was getting 12.2 volts to my amp. After I upgraded i am at 15.2 volts. This seems crazy. Are these typical results. I am using stock battery and alternator as well. what kind of results have other gotten?

thanks,

tony

A6C8CA49-orig-2.jpg

1F95805B-orig-1.jpg

1F95805B-orig.jpg

ED5D4C5B-orig.jpg

025F78F5-orig.jpg

so how would i go around doing the big 3 here? and am i right on the engine ground? theres a steel bar connected to that green wire going to the engine

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

• 3 months later...

I was wondering, what wattage range would you recommend doing this in? I'm about to get a 900 RMS Amp pushing a T1D212 and also am running a kenwood 4 channel, do yall think I should do this? Sorry, I'm only 15 and am still learning but I love everything about car audio and am trying to learn as much as possible! Thanks!

-1994 Dodge Dakota

-Lifted

-Murdered out

-Pro comp beadlock rims and General Grabber At2 tires

-Rockford T1D212

-Rockford 750.1 at 910w RMS

-Focal Solid 4 at 75x4

-Rockford T1 6.5 up front

-Rockford Punch 5x7 in rear

-Sony BT38U headunit with bluetooth,etc

-Rockford 4 Gauge

-Singer 250 amp alt!

-Race accessory HIDS

-Soon to come-

D3400

Kicker 2500.1

Fi BL 12[/font]

• 1 month later...

Hey guys Im going to be upgrading my grounds when I do my next build in december. Ive asked around a bunch on my other forums and maybe some of you will know. Ive read up all about the system online and in my factory service manual, but Im not sure exactly what I should do with it when upgrading my grounds.

My 06 nissan frontier has a variable voltage control system. It is a sensor that is wrapped around the ground wire that goes from the engine bracket and connects to the battery. So the sensor is just a few inches down on the ground connection to the battery, like in this picture.

page.h14.gif

My basic understanding is that the voltage regulator basically detects the discharge rate of the battery depending on the amount of stuff running and the load. It sends the signal to the ECM and then tells the alternator how much to charge and output. It also is there for increasing MPG I believe so that if the alternator is not needed at full output the regulator can tell it this and save fuel. Just my basic understanding.

In the FSM nissan specifically says "For this model, the battery current sensor that is installed to the negative battery cable measures the charging/discharging current of the battery and performs various engine controls. If an electrical com- ponent is connected directly to the negative battery terminal, the current flowing through that compo- nent will not be measured by the battery current sensor. This condition may cause a malfunction of the engine control system and battery discharge may occur. Do not connect an electrical component or ground wire directly to the battery terminal."

So the question is, what do I do when upgrading the big three wires and still get the right signal and max output from my stock alternator. Should I get rid of it completely? Just bypass it with the new grounds? Or someone was saying, that they think I might be able to somehow fit the new sensor on the new 1/0 gauge???? Thanks for any help guys.

Archived