Second Skin Audio

Port Area VS Low Tuning

TRTC360

I'm kinda limited on depth in my box design and I want to do interchangable ports, my plan was to do 3 different ports for testing, one tuned to 32hz, one tuned to 36hz, and one tuned to 50hz, the problem i'm having is in order to tune to 32hz I would only be at about 11sqin of port per cube, but tuned at 36hz I would be right around 14sqin per cube, my question is would you sacrifice a bit of port area in order to tune low or would you keep it at 36hz? I really enjoy very low music, the type of lows that most would say you can't hear but you can feel.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

You have to look at the subs SD and power being applied when building a box. Not just your port ratio.

Personally 36 should be fine. Playing low also depends on your subs, some subs will move and make noise but won't quite sound right like others do.

11sqin per cube can still be fine. The bastard box I used was roughly 11.3sqin per cube and performed quite well.

this is two custom 4hp's, looks like it's moving air fine. Tunning was 34 I think

I dont know that I would call this a VS thread. I am sitting here playing torres calc and running into the problem.

If this helps, the subs i'm running are AB XFL's 12's, lots of people have told me they aren't the best subs for lows but I beg to differ, my friends box tuned to 30hz with 14sqin of port per cube, running HDC3 12's on about 2k, digs deep down into the 20's which are the types of lows i really like, 36hz won't really get as low as I want it to

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

I am planning 5000wrms on 2 15's want to be able to do hair tricks. How important is port area? So would 14sqin per cube be better than 12sqin per cube tuned at 33hz

tune to 33-36hz and you will be fine.

i tune into low 30s (30,31, and 32) and have great output down to about 25hz, but loose anything in the upper 50s, 60s and up.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Im tuned to 23hz with 11sqin and love it, 10hz full tilt? No problem. My 2 18s wall was 37hz with 15sqin and i hated it, had a horrible drop off below 33hz and above 40hz. It was a very peaky box.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

4 FT1s

C1600.2

8 PWX 8s
ONX2.100

Audio Technix Wiring & Sound Deadener

My Youtube

Feedback

Archived