Second Skin Audio

Screws Vs Wood Glue

donsie

Are there any major benefits when using wood glue over screws while building a box? I always see people using glue so I figured there has to be some sort of advantage, considering screws seem easier to me.

chicken is basically the native american hulk, you think he broke that curb with his rim? think again, that was merely him stubbing his toe.

smd5.png

Are there any major benefits when using wood glue over screws while building a box? I always see people using glue so I figured there has to be some sort of advantage, considering screws seem easier to me.

I use both glue, screw, and then seal with liquid nails but be sure to let the liquid nails cure before putting your sub in b/c it can deteriorate some foam surrounds.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

I use both and will only use both unless i had a nail gun for my air tank. Screws are for strength. Cant go wrong using both. Wood glue also acts as a sealant aswell but i still use caulk or glass resin in my corners so i have no leaks.

1997 2 Door Blazer

Bagged & Body Dropped

SBC/TH350

wood glue is always a must, it seals the box, and creates a much better joint than screws or nails alone.

Orion 2500D, Jbl Gto 75.4

Team Wolfpack Audio FSQ 15" d2, mb quart xover, tweets peerless 6.5 mids

Alpine cda-105

optima up front Knu klm 1/0

the screws hold the wood together while the glue dries the glue holds the box not the screws

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Ever ripped apart a good MDF glued joint? It'll probably rip the top layer off 1 half of the MDF because the dried glue joint is actually stronger than the MDF itself.

The screws are really just there to hold it together while the glue dries... you could feasibly do a no-screws box but a no-glue box would probably suck.

Also I like the screws for providing a little bit of torsional rigidity.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Titebond glue and a screw every 3-4" apart is the best!

Don’t go closer then a screw every 3" or it weakens the wood!

Rollerz Only - Sacramento Chapter. 6 Time Lowrider Magazine club of the year

94 Xploder on 22s - Gutted for now...

87 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham on hydros, fully euroed out Tookie blue

*ROLLERZ ONLY MAFIA*

Crankin the volume knob and hittin switches.

http://www.rollerzonly.com

The screws have very little structural strength. Using too many will actually weaken the join. Use plenty and plenty of good PVA wood glue, or Polyurethane glue if you wanna spend big! You'll never break a solid glued join, screws will just tear out!

36CFDEF1-F93D-4FA3-9934-64EE2EC94080-2856-0000071FCFA47672.png.ebe82e417eabc5f239a4adf293b099f9.png

Previous 150+ daily rides:

Volvo 240 wagon 2 x DD Audio 9915s walled, Isuzu Trooper 6 x DD Audio 3515s walled clamshell, Lexus LX470  2 x Kicked Solo X 18s, Lexus LS400 4  x American Bass HD18 walled

SMD - System of The Month August 2008

My Youtube Videos

Archived