I have a 93 Taurus that seems to have a problem. When I first bought it the gas mileage was pretty good, getting around 27-28 mpg. Then winter hit and my mileage droped like a rock, down to 22 mpg on average. I slowed down on the highways doin bout 65 instead of 70 and it didn't help much. Now I don't have a huge system weighin me down, so I know thats not it. Also my acceleration recently has gone down hill. Not sure what the problem could be. I'm not getting any codes showin or anything, its just startin to suck like hell. I've thought bout trading it in on a newer Corrola cause of the milegage they get. But under the suggestion of my grandfather I'm going to try and see if I can't fix this car first. So any ideas?

suggestion, get rid of it. but didnt we just go over this with this car in another thread last week? anyways, so spark plugs and wires a new coil and distributor. maybe a fresh injector cleaning...

suggestion, get rid of it. but didnt we just go over this with this car in another thread last week? anyways, so spark plugs and wires a new coil and distributor. maybe a fresh injector cleaning...

it was a few weeks ago and that problem i fixed. all it was, was the tps. the plugs,wires coil and distrubutor are all fairly new. all installed less than a year ago

quit complaining. im begging for my gas mileage to climb over 10 mpg. it aint gonna happen cause my rings are pretty burnt up, and that could be the problem with your car(not saying it is, not saying it isnt.) my mileage dropped like a som bitch when i started drivin the piss out of my jeep. mileage went from 18 mpg down to a whopping 6 mpg. you got it good. anyway off the thred jack. have you checked your pcv system? start the car and open your hood. the most common sign of a bad pcv valve is a rattlesnake like sound coming from the engine near the pcv valve. if you are unsure if the valve is bad or not, just buy a new one. they literaly cost no more than 5 bucks. have a compression test done to see what kind of condition your rings are in. hopefuly they are good. if the rings are having trouble sealing up then for a couple of oil changes run some slick 50 in it (ie: 20-w50) sounds weird, but the slick 50 will help to create a little bit of a lining on the walls, and help to seal the rings up again. also run some sea foam through your gas tank, this will help to clean and lube up your injectors. run the 91 octane in your car. cars are ment to run on the 91 octane rating, not the 87. the higher octane helps to reduce knock, and can help advance the spark timing which means less fuel is consumed by each cylinder per stroke. change out your plugs and wires. newer plugs fire hotter, faster and better, resulting in advanced timing and less fuel burned per stroke. make sure you gap the plugs correctly according to the sticker under the hood. try cleaning your throttle body. if it is built up with crud you will be lacking power and gas mileage. look for a throttle body cleaning kit. they are fairly cheap after doing all this you should see some sort of increase in mileage, but if you arnt willing to do any of this dont expect any more help. best of luck to ya.

Edited by Bass_Man_2010

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

could also be your o2 sensors are getting slow, especially because it is cold, causing your car to use more gas then it really should, I will have to look into the pcv valve for my car, whats that do exactly?

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

the pcv valve recirculates the unburnt gas from the blowby of the pistons, basicly brings it back up to be burned again. if the valve is broken that unburnt gas will go literaly out the tail pipe.

and ps: o2 sensors just generate a voltage for the pcm to read. although they need to be warm to do so, the process of warming up the sensors shouldnt take more than a minute and a half in cold weather. which means o2 sensors wont get slower, its either they stop creating voltage or they are working properly, now if you put it on a scanner and see the voltages mimick each other then you have a bad catalytic converter.

Edited by Bass_Man_2010

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

quit complaining. im begging for my gas mileage to climb over 10 mpg. it aint gonna happen cause my rings are pretty burnt up, and that could be the problem with your car(not saying it is, not saying it isnt.) my mileage dropped like a som bitch when i started drivin the piss out of my jeep. mileage went from 18 mpg down to a whopping 6 mpg. you got it good. anyway off the thred jack. have you checked your pcv system? start the car and open your hood. the most common sign of a bad pcv valve is a rattlesnake like sound coming from the engine near the pcv valve. if you are unsure if the valve is bad or not, just buy a new one. they literaly cost no more than 5 bucks. have a compression test done to see what kind of condition your rings are in. hopefuly they are good. if the rings are having trouble sealing up then for a couple of oil changes run some slick 50 in it (ie: 20-w50) sounds weird, but the slick 50 will help to create a little bit of a lining on the walls, and help to seal the rings up again. also run some sea foam through your gas tank, this will help to clean and lube up your injectors. run the 91 octane in your car. cars are ment to run on the 91 octane rating, not the 87. the higher octane helps to reduce knock, and can help advance the spark timing which means less fuel is consumed by each cylinder per stroke. change out your plugs and wires. newer plugs fire hotter, faster and better, resulting in advanced timing and less fuel burned per stroke. make sure you gap the plugs correctly according to the sticker under the hood. try cleaning your throttle body. if it is built up with crud you will be lacking power and gas mileage. look for a throttle body cleaning kit. they are fairly cheap after doing all this you should see some sort of increase in mileage, but if you arnt willing to do any of this dont expect any more help. best of luck to ya.

I wasn't really complaining, I mean I put up with the shitty mileage for a while now. I was just lookin to see what my options were. I've ran that lucas fuel injector cleaner in my car a few times, had slick 50 in it before and even used that restore crap. Never really noticed a change after using any of that. I know its not the plugs or wires since I put them on back in August I think. Tho I have put 13k on it since July of '10. I know the transmissions in these things aren't worth a crap. I've seen most go at around 150k or under. I baby mine so hopefully it will last a while longer. Never heard that cars are ment to run on 91 octane and not 87...you sure ya don't work for a big oil company? JK man. I'll try the seafoam and re-clean the throtle body come tuesday when I get paid. The 02 sensors I'm doubting since I'm getting no codes. I know when I had my cougar it shot codes about the 02 sensors being bad. I don't wanna replace them unless I have too, that stuff ain't cheap.