Sonic Electronix

Question for Jeep/Dodge/chrysler or INSTALL Experts

CAN BUS systems tend to not like very high current alternators. the installer should have known this, and taken necessary precautions against it to protect the factory systems. I've done this to a 300 before (about 7 years ago). discovered it was the HO Alt. shop should foot AT LEAST half the bill, if not all of it. they should have insurance for this.

What is a "CAN BUS system" mean.?

And what would have been the necessary precaution to take to protect against this happening.?

I need to know what exactly needs to be fixed or added so that this doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the reply

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Controller Area Network. it's the reason you need huge numbers of relays and resistors to do an alarm...or an interface. You can't just tap wires. They use a multiplex system to save weight...multiple functions on the same pair of wires.

When I've added HO Alts I use a floating charging system...this means keeping the stock alt for the stock systems, and adding an alt for the sound system...and use it ONLY for the sound system...rerun power for the radio to the new charging system, floating ground points so the two charging systems don't react at all...it takes a little more time, but it's worth it.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

You seem to be making it much harder than it is.. I have a 2006 and I installed everything like normal. I have no problems.

Ditch the isolator, run the alt to primary battery, primary to secondary battery, upgrade the wiring under the hood (leaving the stock wiring from the alt also) and you'll be fine. Somehow, they screwed it up. I wired my whole system and new alt in a few hours with no issues. I can post some pics if needed. They screwed something up and should pay.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

So how does this can bus module look like?

the whole car is CAN...every module is CAN..the area network means there is no centralized control unit for the system.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Make sure you aren't charging too high. 14.1-14.3 maxx. Also ditch the isolator and hook everything together.

this

Principal

ok.... so with this question being asked im about to purchase and h.o.alt for my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. is there anything that can be done to prevent this from occurring. And neoFrog will you please post some pics of ur install..

he wouldnt be the first to say they did a 167 with a system like that (one that clearly DOESNT), but i have to say, he didnt beat me anywhere, ive never competed against the guy. If he thinks his does a 167, mine would probably put him in a coma. :hairtrick:

Archived