in a nutshell, we can go into much more detail of OTHER ways to body drop other then channeling, because channeling or 'traditional' body drop is the simple way, and comes with various flaws.

The cleaner way(imo and most other peoples opinion) is a stock floor body drop (SFBD) which entitles removing the cab from the frame (completely or removed straight up and left high on jackstands, then to lower the frame down to start)

the way a SFBD works is you simply build a new frame. "build a new frame?? thats alot of work" yes, yes it is, BUT there are simpler ways to do it, still alot of work, but easier. first what you can start with is laying some 2x3 quarter wall pipe inside the framerails. and then 'simply' join them together. "join them together?? yes thats why the SFBD is more work, but worth it in the end! Start cutting, and depending on how much of a BD your doing (depends on car/truck and desired drop) is how much lower your gonna weld up your cab mounts. is most trucks, doing a SFBD reduces greatly the amount of truck you have to cut to "lay body". But your limited to how far you can go (check out my current thread) then you have to do a combination between traditional and SFBD. anyways, then the cutting begins. depending on that exact number for your BD, that is your master number the rest of the build. next, you go to the front of the truck, and strip its guts completely, radiator, fan, ac condenser, any overflows in the way (all depending on the vehicle) then you remove that core support. under neath you find two stock frame rails... so you cut them off, and drop the frame horn down to your BD number, and weld it back up. there are lots of tricks to doing this on different vehicles, but il leave as that for now.

pros and cons

SFBD PROS:

- cleaner, less cutting on body to accomplish the same goal, to lay body.

- a stronger frame then before, and easier to blend into a sweet back half

- no lost headroom, and only minor cutting done to body(in most trucks)

- ability to reuse most interior panels! and carpet!

CONS:

- If you dont know how to weld thick pipe, or dont have a machine to weld thick pipe, your SOL

If you cant do the work yourself, it will be more expensive going this route

all welds need be STRONG. this is NOT a project your 'buddy that can weld' can do for you. you CANT jeopardize other peoples safety on the road

TRADITIONAL PROS

- its CHEAP, can be completly done with an average 110v welder

- the welding is way easier

- the concept is more simple, and easier to grasp for noobs, and easily to start understanding this lifestyle

CONS

- how ever far you BD, is how much head room you lose.

- it weakens your cab and leaves you at a much higher risk to be injured in a car crash, due to all structural cab point cut through with a plasma, grinder, or saw zaw.

- carpet needs to be custom made.

- most interior panels wont be back in there factory locations, or need to be highly modified, sometimes ruining the factory look

i left out ALOT, and go into as many details as anyone needs, but this is a good starter thread without going into notching, big wheels, wheel tubs, back halfs, boxing frames, bed BD, different links, differeent UCA's and LCA's, etc etc etc....

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

And its not called "being doored" unless you cut the rockers of and bodydrop it to the doors. I have yet to see a truck with no rocker from the factory.

CORRECT!

most bodydropping, id say in the 97% of all bodydrops, are to the rocker. Which you can SFBD, or TRAD. To goto the doors, is a whole different ballgame I can explain if people want

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

• 1 month later...

And its not called "being doored" unless you cut the rockers of and bodydrop it to the doors. I have yet to see a truck with no rocker from the factory.

CORRECT!

most bodydropping, id say in the 97% of all bodydrops, are to the rocker. Which you can SFBD, or TRAD. To goto the doors, is a whole different ballgame I can explain if people want

I was also looking into body dropping my excursion but the frame is tucked inside the body already and I'm one of them lucky people that if or when I lay frame I will lay door with my truck :)

aaaa.png

"WHOEVER SAID MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS MUST OF BEEN BROKE"

I want to bag my truck and eventually body drop it but I would probably so the custom frame thing though I think a 91 c1500 on a full custom frame would be sick

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

The excursions and f250's are from the factory without any rocker

A little dirty but here is the bottom of my back door

IMG_20110624_123429.jpg

aaaa.png

Didnt kno that about excursions, you learn something every day!

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

How do you know so much? Is this what you do for a living?

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

They are 1 of few that have no rocker. And laying door is easy with my truck because of the frame so tucked I don't need to do a body drop and if I did 1 it would be so small that you wouldn't notice it

aaaa.png

Archived