Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bumonskateboard6

How long do your router bits last?

9 posts in this topic

I have all Freud carbide bits and they just are not lasting long with MDF and are already dull and burning the wood after I've cut out about a dozen holes. Is this normal or are there stronger bits I can use?

what router are u using, might be too small for the bits u are using

could also be your forcing the router to much and its burning itself up

I dont know about the longevity. I know my upcut bit has cut its fair share of holes and still cuts like a hot knife. The good thing here is you have carbide tips...they can be resharpened. Find a local guy that sharpens shit and you can probably get it done fairly cheap.

I'm using a porter cable 892 router, and it's a 1/4" bit and I'm using the 1/4" shank and running around 16-17,000 RPMs.

I know I can get them re-sharpened I'm just seeing if there's anything I can do to extend their life.

Also where it started burning I was forcing it a little and that probably didn't help any..

i'd day at least 200 speaker holes a bit

or 70-80 on a cheap ass Harbor bit

Are you getting any build up on the bits? Might give them a good cleaning and see if that helps.

How deep are you cutting in a single pass? Might just be taking too much out at once.

Out of all of the Freud bits, I've had the best luck with their 1/4" straight bit with 1/2" shank.

42019-01-200.jpg

I've sense switched from Freud to CMT's spiral upcut and downcut (depending on the application) and have had better luck all around with their bits. The spiral bits expel the chips better, seem to last longer, and are fairly inexpensive.

Later,

Really depends on the bit, the material and the force.

I would try slowing down not only the speed on the bit, but I would also put very little force on it as you work. Seams to work pretty well for me.