Sundown Audio

Warhorse power output...

mr.p

Still trying to find out?

What would be nice if someone had one of these, and another 5kw and a 10kw amp, and test these 3 amps side by side.

Same impedance, same voltage out, no clipping smooth signal, and test all 3 with 3 fresh subwoofers on a 20hz test tone and document findings.

how long the subwoofer survived and coil temp

I honestly think its not a problem though, really. By trade I'am a electrician, I work on commercial ovens, fryers, hot cases, and microwaves that are more advanced than most cars before 1990. The one part that this whole concept you are looking at reminds me of water solenoids and gas solenoids.

These are AC driven coils that react against a stationary magnet. These are the same thing, but instead of a 4 or 8 layer 3" coil, its more like a 10 layer 3/4" coil. These solenoids are usually ran off of 12v 24v 120v and 240v. Oddly the lower voltage solenoids are usually the ones that fail, not the 240v units. Even though the 240volt solenoids usually only have about 26-30gauge wire.

Anyways, your worried about the coils going bad, I dont think thats going to be a problem.

The concept that makes the connection with the water solenoid vs the warhorse, and how the coil push pull works, is the solenoids that run on AC, they open, and stay open. They are not cycling at 50/60hz It seems as if its a DC current, but its not. Its help in place on a push open, or pull closed concept.

Of course amperage is way different. 5amps @240v is a lot different than a car amp. All I'am saying is, the technology that the amp uses is obviously been around for years, and only recently been introduced to the audio field. Its possible the push pull design will slowly revolutionize audio?

Has there been a lot of bad reviews on this amp?

Has this amp been known to blow coils constantly?

is it shredding subwoofers apart?

To the parts in bold.

You should know why the solenoids that run off of 240 fail less. This higher the voltage the lower the current that runs through the circuit and its current that has more of a damaging aspect over voltage.

You should know this unless I'm missing something, more voltage less wear and tear on the product or part.

Warhorse? Nope I have not seen ANY bad reviews on it or heard anything about it damaging subwoofers and it has been out long enough that negative things like this would have already flooded the net if it was happening.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

From what Ive experienced an seen with my teamates running them they do 5k at best. I have seen no big numbers come out of them. a test article i have in PAS stated 5k at 12.6 and 10k at 14.4 but i dont know what there max voltage is meaning can you run them on a 16v system.

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

The reply i recieved from jeff brown says that they are actually researching a good answer for my questions.

After they explain it, i will ask them about my twin warhorse idea :drinks:

If i get permission i will post the replies from kicker in this thread.

It looks like im getting a really big 12kw amp anyways :yahoo:

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

The reply i recieved from jeff brown says that they are actually researching a good answer for my questions.

After they explain it, i will ask them about my twin warhorse idea :drinks:

If i get permission i will post the replies from kicker in this thread.

It looks like im getting a really big 12kw amp anyways :yahoo:

that being??

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

I disagree with kicker and you saying that it is not a huge diference, i think it would be VERY harmful to a sub to recieve 2500W of true power to only one of its coils. How the hell do they expect even a solox to take this, unless they have some super special edgewound copper coil? :pardon:

If this is true it is actually a design flaw that would keep this amp from being a monster that it is marketed to be. Also i got hold of tracy and he fwd my information and questions to a mr jeff brown who is an engineer, i was told he would call me and answer my questions but i have not received anything yet. Hopefully tomorrow i will get a neat phone call.

I do not understand why the reversing and running 2 warhorses would not work, as one coil is done receiving its pull the other amp would then take over and push on that coil. If they are adjusted properly this would be VERY VERY F%## cool :)

Tracy also said if i still have questions i could talk to a designed of the amp. :woot:

If you had two 5KW amps (say a warhorse and an SD) and two coils it wouldnt matter which amp you used, either would be putting 2500W to a coil (actually the way the warhorse cycles it is 5KW for 1/2 the time period on each coil, thus still effectively 2500w). The only possible difference is that the traditionally built amplifier applies power to both coils simultaneously for the full cycle of the sine wave whereas the warhorse powers the coils on and off separately from each other. This could be the reason a lot of people only "see" 5KW from it as well.. I agree this needs a lot of further study.

Reversing a warhorse as they are built now is not possible, but with some mods it may be a possibility. The problem is keeping power from "leaking" out of one amp and into the other as the output cycles.

Also forevrbumpn - jeeez.. amperage man, amperage!! /teasing :P

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

I got to play with a warhorse for a bit.

When dropping impedance, they keep going up in power. Measured 10,500w rms at about .5ohms on a burp.

Technically, all amps only make half power on one side of the sine wave. Well, half the voltage anyway.

The main difference of a warhorse is that it integrates power supply and output sections of the amp so it is more like an inverter than an amplifier.

The issue we have seen as well as others is noise. There is a lack of output filtering that creates a noise and current flows through the coils even at idle heating them up. This has been known to blow woofers prematurely because of the excess heat build up.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

oh but ed, dont you know, you cant run a warhorse under 2 ohms!!

:P

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

I got to play with a warhorse for a bit.

When dropping impedance, they keep going up in power. Measured 10,500w rms at about .5ohms on a burp.

Technically, all amps only make half power on one side of the sine wave. Well, half the voltage anyway.

The main difference of a warhorse is that it integrates power supply and output sections of the amp so it is more like an inverter than an amplifier.

The issue we have seen as well as others is noise. There is a lack of output filtering that creates a noise and current flows through the coils even at idle heating them up. This has been known to blow woofers prematurely because of the excess heat build up.

wouldn't you be able to just get a bass processor to give the amp a clean signal idk i am confused

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

A processor would be on the input side. The output filtering has to do with the speaker output of the amp so a processor wouldnt do anything for that.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion