Sonic Electronix

MOD POWERS ENGAGE!

that means stop bashing the dude and keep it to the topic please. Points were made, all is understood.

Now, anybody else have stories about Ohmy Ohm?

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

MOD POWERS ENGAGE!

that means stop bashing the dude and keep it to the topic please. Points were made, all is understood.

I have one.... if you're like my friend, and wire at 0.25ohm, in a sealed box, and burp at 35Hz, and find it rises to 0.5ohm, and the amp handles it fine.

don't then play 20Hz, because the impedance rise in a sealed box decreases as the frequency does :pardon:

Also seems like each thread his words and usage of his words get more powerful. I swear he is sitting there looking up words. Knowing big words and how to use them does not mean you have great knowledge in amplifiers and how they work.

yea, I know, he think he must be mr. big shot, im not saying he doesnt know jack squat, but he seems to be a bit strongly worded and very opinionated, and much of the info he posts isnt quite right

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

MOD POWERS ENGAGE!

I have one.... if you're like my friend, and wire at 0.25ohm, in a sealed box, and burp at 35Hz, and find it rises to 0.5ohm, and the amp handles it fine.

don't then play 20Hz, because the impedance rise in a sealed box decreases as the frequency does :pardon:

And in ported enclosures, there is something called "Unloading" This is when playing frequencies below the F3 point causes the woofer and enclosure to uncouple and impedance rise drops. This is very bad for the life span of a woofer.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

MOD POWERS ENGAGE!

I believe the impedance rise is due to the wiring heating up in the voice coil causing it to be harder to push power through it, doesn't matter what frequency you are pushing through it, correct me if im wrong, but I believe that is the truth, if you push 1000 watts through a coil meant for 500, it will heat up, and will cause less power to go through it, v = amps * resistence, as the resistence rises, the voltage will go down, thus the amount of watts (at least I think this would be true for free air, as far as being in enclosures, I am not sure)

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

I believe the impedance rise is due to the wiring heating up in the voice coil causing it to be harder to push power through it, doesn't matter what frequency you are pushing through it, correct me if im wrong, but I believe that is the truth, if you push 1000 watts through a coil meant for 500, it will heat up, and will cause less power to go through it, v = amps * resistence, as the resistence rises, the voltage will go down, thus the amount of watts (at least I think this would be true for free air, as far as being in enclosures, I am not sure)

you're wrong.

the impedance changes because of the movement of the voice coil in the voice coil gap.

different frequencies, and different boxes and tuning will result in the sub moving differently, so the impedance will vary.

edit: the impedance will vary regardless of the amount of power you're giving a woofer, whether it be 1 watt or 1000watts.

a lot of manufacturers will give an impedance and frequency graph in the datasheets for their drivers, which are measured free air, so there's no enclosure effecting the impedance.

for example, the peerless 850136 woofers:

http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/Peerless/850136.pdf

the impedance is only 8ohms between 100 and 400Hz or so, and rises up to about 20ohm at the drivers resonant frequency of 28Hz.

if you connect an ohm meter to a sub, and push on the cone, the resistance will vary greatly.

MOD POWERS ENGAGE!

Just basic points that have been made already, just hopefully in a more understanding format.

Impedance rise in my experience has NEVER been a good route to go when planning daily systems. Even if rise does occur, who is to say it will go above 1 ohm where the amp is stable at? It is true some amps have done well below recommended stability, but it is also true more than a handful of boards out there will not.

The issue I see is telling someone yes it can be done, without knowing any information which would even make the statement even CLOSE to accurate, intelligent, or safe for the OP. Yes, some amps can be run below recommended stability. Others won't.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

you're wrong.

the impedance changes because of the movement of the voice coil in the voice coil gap.

different frequencies, and different boxes and tuning will result in the sub moving differently, so the impedance will vary.

edit: the impedance will vary regardless of the amount of power you're giving a woofer, whether it be 1 watt or 1000watts.

a lot of manufacturers will give an impedance and frequency graph in the datasheets for their drivers, which are measured free air, so there's no enclosure effecting the impedance.

for example, the peerless 850136 woofers:

http://www.d-s-t.com...less/850136.pdf

the impedance is only 8ohms between 100 and 400Hz or so, and rises up to about 20ohm at the drivers resonant frequency of 28Hz.

if you connect an ohm meter to a sub, and push on the cone, the resistance will vary greatly.

Im not wrong, heat does play a role in the impedance of a subwoofer, there are many characteristics to calculate all of this, and is almost impossible to do, but increase in heat does infact change what the impedance will be

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

Archived