Sonic Electronix

i like the looks of aero but i like the cost of a slot port. what are the pros and cons to each

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

I'm going to leave this up because it is not a product vs. product type thread. But who ever responds had better come with some factual information. This will not turn into a penis size comparing thread arguing over which is better.

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Well slot ports are easier to tune, aero's are more efficient.

Well, it's not necessarily easier to tune. I say that because you not only have port volume, but also wood displacement to account for. You have to cut out all your sides and adjust them blah blah blah. An aero port you would just cut to length (given it's long enough to begin with).

If you're referring to math...well..I guess for some it's harder. It's just volume of a cylinder rather than volume of a prism. Or area of a circle rather than area of a rectangle.

Displacement

Slot = L * W * D (depending on how many sides used where outer dimensions account for wood thickness in L and W)

Aero = Pi * r2 * D * n (where r is radius [half of diameter], D is depth or 'length', and n is number of aeros)

Port Area

Slot = L * W (opening. Doesn't account for flares)

Aero = Pi * r2 (intended area based on nominal size. Use a given factor for different size flares [k])

As far as efficiency, an aero is more efficient because it uses less volume, has an equal distribution of stresses across the circumference, and has negligible turbulence as compared to a slot. This is due to the slot having edges where activation of air is non-compliant.

EDIT: Pi symbol looks like an 'n'. Fixed.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Not to thread jack, but if I were to go with an aero over a slot port would I be able to hear an audible difference?

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

i dont think you would, if you did it would be very slight

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Audison Bit One processor

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Second Skin sound deadened

Not to thread jack, but if I were to go with an aero over a slot port would I be able to hear an audible difference?

IMO I could here a difference between my old slot port box, and the new box I made using Aero's on the DC XL I used to have. As long as I have a lil extra money to spend on Aero's I don't see myself going back to slot ports anytime soon.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

I will probably have to rebuild my 4.5^3ft box soon once I put 2k+wrms to my DD3515 (I didn't brace it and would like to improve on craftsmanship). It's tuned to 35hz with a port length of 24in I believe, and a total area of 72in^2. Is a aeroport easy to work with, and can you give me a idea of what would work good?

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

I have and always will swear by the sheer output efficiency of an aeroport. In some cases they can be up to 3db louder than a slot port with that being the only varible.

For example I have done some builds with slot vs. aeroports and here are the number comparrisons:

Dual 12" Rockford HE2 ran off a single Rockford BD1000.1 at 1 ohms, slot port score was 141.7 old AC190 meter and the aeroport score was 143.2 What's interesting is that the clamped power of the aeroported box was also higher meaning that it was more efficient than the slot port. Some of this may be because of the increase in box volume due to removing the slot port which displaced more internal volume, but I highly doubt that was the account for the whole 1.5db's since the internal volume was only increased by a total of .4cuft.

Another example that was quite a large gain was a dual Nightshade 12 box with a slot port off 1800 watts clamped that did a 145.8, and when it was changed out to an aeroport the best score done after getting it tuned back to the peak freq was 147.8 with virtually no change in clamped power.

I have several examples like this and can list them forever, but I think that you get the idea. As far as audible difference there is some imo. Usually this is only true if the enclosure is not inside a trunk or an eclosed area. For my installs I've mostly used a hatchback and can definately hear a difference between slot and aero with the aero sounding much cleaner. The reason for this is the reduction in port turbulence from the flare allowing the air to exit in a more natural flow opposed to making 90 degree or even 45 degree turns like in a slot port.

Like I said I will live and die by the aero and most competitors in the spl arena will agree with me on that one especially those who run street or unmodified classes.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Archived