DC Sound Lab

Removing lvl5 dust cap to get to tinsel leads?

Hi all,

I've read on that tinsel leads can be swapped by removing the dust cap, desoldering the old TL's and feeding new one through and resoldering them.

Just wondering whether this can be done on a level 5?

I've see pictures of the fives with the dust cap off and it looks like the gap between the coil and cone is filled with glue... looks pretty difficult to remove.

Cheers guys.

Edited by DodgerCannon

why do you need to replace the leads? or do you just want to or think it will help?

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

it can be done but its not easy, cut off the cap, dig through the glue, solder on new leads, run them through the cone but its pretty much impossible to re attach new leads to the spider, at that point they would be free floating leads

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Built by Competitors, for Competitors.

sorry to thread jack but is there a way I can get the dust cap off and put the new carbon fiber caps on? or should I look into reconing my level 5s? also how big are the carbon caps? thanks

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

Hi all,

I've read on that tinsel leads can be swapped by removing the dust cap, desoldering the old TL's and feeding new one through and resoldering them.

Just wondering whether this can be done on a level 5?

I've see pictures of the fives with the dust cap off and it looks like the gap between the coil and cone is filled with glue... looks pretty difficult to remove.

Cheers guys.

dont do it unless you have recones on hand, or the sub is already broken.. It is not easy trust me, i have done it myself. Plus if you remove the dust cap it will get ruined, unless your a pro..

Fi BTL 15 N2 D2

-4.5 net..30Hz/Birch and Braced

-AQ 2200D running at 4-ohms for meantime...

-Big 3 KNU 1/0

-XS 1200

-Sundown 100.4 SAX

-Front Stage: CDT CL-61

-Rear: Alpine Type-SA

-HeadUnit-Pioneer AVHDVD-3200

-2004 Saturn Ion

Best score to Date is a 143.1 at the kick with 2 RF HX2 10's in a PWK box!

BUILD LOG---15 BTL...Shit is loud Son!!

You TUBE---RIGHT HERE

it can be done but its not easy, cut off the cap, dig through the glue, solder on new leads, run them through the cone but its pretty much impossible to re attach new leads to the spider, at that point they would be free floating leads

Thanks guys. Glad you replied rusty.... just gonna get it reconed once I got the cash. Just killing me having one sub down lol. Gonna fly you over a message rusty.

Thanks guys. Glad you replied rusty.... just gonna get it reconed once I got the cash. Just killing me having one sub down lol. Gonna fly you over a message rusty.

I have a sub down too and it is painful,, =@

Fi BTL 15 N2 D2

-4.5 net..30Hz/Birch and Braced

-AQ 2200D running at 4-ohms for meantime...

-Big 3 KNU 1/0

-XS 1200

-Sundown 100.4 SAX

-Front Stage: CDT CL-61

-Rear: Alpine Type-SA

-HeadUnit-Pioneer AVHDVD-3200

-2004 Saturn Ion

Best score to Date is a 143.1 at the kick with 2 RF HX2 10's in a PWK box!

BUILD LOG---15 BTL...Shit is loud Son!!

You TUBE---RIGHT HERE