DC Sound Lab

Amplifier Power Testing Throwdown SAZ4500D DC5K American Bass 500.1

Clean signal or clipped, that was never mentioned.

We mention in the beginning of the video that we roll into the volume to capture the best signal voltage for each amplifier. Just so you know...when doing spl there is always a minute amount of clipping in the signal for you to show you highest score.....

Okay so you were clipping then I take it. LOL, and generally speaking clipping will almost always yield the highest score because of power output when you have a square wave and THD goes up to 10%. I would like to see a dead on comparison all scoped to a clean signal and not changing the input voltage from the volume knob. That would show which is the better amp for this particular test in that vehicle.

That would not be accurate at all. Some amplifiers require a different level of signal to show their highest SPL and power. In terms of the signal on the radio we are testing with the volume was low enough that it was not anywhere near clipping (most pioneers clip in the low 50s and we were testing in the 40s) When rolling into the volume your going to see the best SPL and power from the signal staying clean before you are clipping or near clipping (that is why we do it). This all has to do with keeping the test conrolled for the best results.

Well having said that I could take a 2500 watt amp clip it to hell and back and get close to 3k out of it, but take a 3k watt amp and give it a clean signal which would you rather run, that is my point.

I can understand what your implying but from the viewers standpoint lets be completely realistic. If you own one of these amps and compete with it your going to push it to the limit to do your best score possible to win....this is what people want to see because that is how they are going to use the equipment. "yea I could have burped a louder score with my amps at the last show I was at but I chose to take second place because I didn't want to send a little bit of unclean signal to my amps..." see what I am saying?

Oh I am with ya, but you didn't mention in the video how the gain was set, at one point I think I heard you say 3/4 but I could take a memphis 4k and a AQ 4k(3500D) and make one amp look better then the other by just bumping the gain one way or the other, since you stated how the lpf and sub sonic was set.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

Not a big enough difference from the sundown and dc to pick a winner IMO

I would like to see a price comparison though

actually. you can pick a winnner. The cheaper one. Unless you only care about certain brands if you are getting the same power why pay more for a brand?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

actually. you can pick a winnner. The cheaper one. Unless you only care about certain brands if you are getting the same power why pay more for a brand?

This. The cheaper one did more power too. I guess its a win/win situation.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Clean signal or clipped, that was never mentioned.

We mention in the beginning of the video that we roll into the volume to capture the best signal voltage for each amplifier. Just so you know...when doing spl there is always a minute amount of clipping in the signal for you to show you highest score.....

Okay so you were clipping then I take it. LOL, and generally speaking clipping will almost always yield the highest score because of power output when you have a square wave and THD goes up to 10%. I would like to see a dead on comparison all scoped to a clean signal and not changing the input voltage from the volume knob. That would show which is the better amp for this particular test in that vehicle.

That would not be accurate at all. Some amplifiers require a different level of signal to show their highest SPL and power. In terms of the signal on the radio we are testing with the volume was low enough that it was not anywhere near clipping (most pioneers clip in the low 50s and we were testing in the 40s) When rolling into the volume your going to see the best SPL and power from the signal staying clean before you are clipping or near clipping (that is why we do it). This all has to do with keeping the test conrolled for the best results.

Well having said that I could take a 2500 watt amp clip it to hell and back and get close to 3k out of it, but take a 3k watt amp and give it a clean signal which would you rather run, that is my point.

I can understand what your implying but from the viewers standpoint lets be completely realistic. If you own one of these amps and compete with it your going to push it to the limit to do your best score possible to win....this is what people want to see because that is how they are going to use the equipment. "yea I could have burped a louder score with my amps at the last show I was at but I chose to take second place because I didn't want to send a little bit of unclean signal to my amps..." see what I am saying?

Oh I am with ya, but you didn't mention in the video how the gain was set, at one point I think I heard you say 3/4 but I could take a memphis 4k and a AQ 4k(3500D) and make one amp look better then the other by just bumping the gain one way or the other, since you stated how the lpf and sub sonic was set.

That is right, every amp was at 3/4. I have already tested that and among these three amplifiers they all showed their most spl potential with the gain in that position for this application. This was the absolute best these amplifiers could perform based on where we had their settings.

Not a big enough difference from the sundown and dc to pick a winner IMO

I would like to see a price comparison though

I was Goin off performance not price. Idk how much the dc is. Im just assuming the price is pretty close to the sundown. If its a few hundred dollar difference tho then your right.

6 Sundown X 15s

2 Sundown NS1 V2s

C Pillar 4th order

Bagged Suburban on 24s

http://youtube.com/tlee333

If its a few hundred dollar difference tho then your right.

The DC is more than a "few" hundred less than the SA. That's all I'm saying about the price.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Awesome video, the way I look at it the Sundown was the winner in my book. You're getting 5600 watts out of a 4500 watt amp. The rise was .03 ohms higher, and the voltage drop was .2 volts more? The way I see that is if the electricals were even better (more batteries, the car on, etc) the Sundown would have outperformed the DC in straight output because it seems to be drawing more current. Price point is another factor, I know what I paid for my 4500 but I have no idea what the DC 5k is going for.

In my system, I'm clamping 2600 @ 3.67 ohms with voltage dropping to around 13.2 out of my 4500. More than impressive if you ask me.

I agree, considering the power output at 12.6 volts at 4 ohms is 900 watts rms.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz

Also, the price point. Buy a 4500 from SSA or $1700 or buy a the 5k from me or rusty for cheaper .... The 4500 is a 5k board.

With the release of the sundown 4500 I believe the Jacob company jumped the shark. Furthermore, the continual changing of his lines is a real PITA. Makes me wonder why this comparison is so important the 4500 was just released less than 1 year ago and he won't be doing another run.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES, TEAM DC AUDIO

2010 California State Finals Champion MECA AS2

2011 California State Champion Meca S2

2011 California State Record holder Meca S2

2012 Meca Mod 4 class 152.5 and rising

Also, the price point. Buy a 4500 from SSA or $1700 or buy a the 5k from me or rusty for cheaper .... The 4500 is a 5k board.

With the release of the sundown 4500 I believe the Jacob company jumped the shark. Furthermore, the continual changing of his lines is a real PITA. Makes me wonder why this comparison is so important the 4500 was just released less than 1 year ago and he won't be doing another run.

He wont be doing another run because he didnt have the 4500 board tooled for sundown and companies started stealing his ideas so he is discontinuing the 4500 for something larger and tooled specifically for sundown

VbjgkeI.jpg

F6CNB9e.jpg
Team Sundown Audio / Team XS Power / Team SHOK

SMD Super Buyer/Seller

www.sundownaudio.com

www.shokindustries.com

www.4xspower.com

www.excessiveamperage.com

He wont be doing another run because he didnt have the 4500 board tooled for sundown and companies started stealing his ideas so he is discontinuing the 4500 for something larger and tooled specifically for sundown

What Jimmy said. And I don't see how making improvements to products is a bad thing. But hey. Get whatever amp you want. I've seen both amps in person and they both perform ( as you saw in the video)

312tzpu.png

My 02 Accord Wall Build

2 Sundown Audio Nightshade V1 18s --- 1 SAZ 3500

Sundown Audio 100.4 --- 4 Sundown Audio Neo-Pro 8s

Sundown Audio 125.2 --- 2 Morel MD-12 Tweeters , 2 Selenium ST-200 Tweeters

DC Power 270xp --- 4 XS Power D1200s | 1 D5100R