Do amps make a difference in sq?

tonedeaf

Where do you guys buy your speaker cable? I dont need a 250 foot roll and I have an amp and some speakers to wire. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Also, any help with positioning my speakers? I plan on aiming the mids towards the headrest of the opposite side of the car on each side. Manufacturer (hertz) suggests pillar mounting the tweeters and aiming them the same way. Would putting the tweeters in the pods with the mids not be better than? I always heard tweets within 12 inches of the mids, or are you supposed to follow the manufacturer suggestions instead? Would this also be the best way for imaging/staging and then let the EQ do the rest of the work? (more noob SQ questions, I know)

I just use pure copper wire pull it apart and braid it together, and amps make a huge difference in how something sounds and position is totally up to the car

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

I'm currently using the Alpine PDX-F4. There's an F6 also. The authorized Hertz dealer over here usually recommends Alpine amplifiers with Hertz speakers.

1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Hertz Mille MLK-165 Component System

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-165, 6.5

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-690 (6x9s)

Audison Voce AV K6 Component System

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

XS Power D3400 (under hood) Three XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

DC Power Engineering 390XP H/O Alternator

Where do you guys buy your speaker cable? I dont need a 250 foot roll and I have an amp and some speakers to wire. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Also, any help with positioning my speakers? I plan on aiming the mids towards the headrest of the opposite side of the car on each side. Manufacturer (hertz) suggests pillar mounting the tweeters and aiming them the same way. Would putting the tweeters in the pods with the mids not be better than? I always heard tweets within 12 inches of the mids, or are you supposed to follow the manufacturer suggestions instead? Would this also be the best way for imaging/staging and then let the EQ do the rest of the work? (more noob SQ questions, I know)

I just use pure copper wire pull it apart and braid it together, and amps make a huge difference in how something sounds and position is totally up to the car

If it's not a total piece of shit amp , you won't hear a difference between a SQ amp and just a normal good amp.(it's the crossovers that make it sound different.)

And you can't hear a difference in speaker wire (there has been a good test, i'll have to dig it up) , you can to a certain extent with RCA's but if you have decent(=not the cheap ones, about 4-7 dollars a foot usually you will never hear a difference between the 100 dollar per foot RCA's.)

The source is the most important, if you use a shitty HU you will never get a good sounding setup nevertheless a SQ setup.

RCA's have to be decent, you don't need silver RCA's , decent OFC ones will do and if you like the "bling" get them with gold connectors.

And install is the key, if you don't have them positioned well or didn't use sound dampening and other improvements it will never sound good.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

If it's not a total piece of shit amp , you won't hear a difference between a SQ amp and just a normal good amp.(it's the crossovers that make it sound different.)

And you can't hear a difference in speaker wire (there has been a good test, i'll have to dig it up) , you can to a certain extent with RCA's but if you have decent(=not the cheap ones, about 4-7 dollars a foot usually you will never hear a difference between the 100 dollar per foot RCA's.)

The source is the most important, if you use a shitty HU you will never get a good sounding setup nevertheless a SQ setup.

RCA's have to be decent, you don't need silver RCA's , decent OFC ones will do and if you like the "bling" get them with gold connectors.

And install is the key, if you don't have them positioned well or didn't use sound dampening and other improvements it will never sound good.

you will hear a big difference with changing even in sq amps

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

just my 2 cents worth, i've tried a ton of car audio gear in the last years and ended up buying a mcintosh mc420 to power my front channel.i have had this amp now 5 years and still have not heard any as clean powerfull and adding nothing colored to my front stage.

i run it bi amped with a eqx audio control crossed at 4500hz . in my doors are 2 peerless carbon 6 1/2 and 2 same 5 1/4 in each as well as a morel mdt330 tweeter.

i have up on the dash 2 max fidility domes.

Going to be using all tsunami wire including the x20 rcas. Was just looking for a place to buy some zipcord speaker wire by the foot. Ended up ordering some from darvex. The headunit will probably be an alpine 9887, unless someone can suggest some better ones. I'm not terribly worried about finding a mice older eclipse or anything, just want a nicer hu for as cheap as I can get it.

The Alpine 9887 is a very good h u.

For amps, you should not worry too much. Get a decent amp, and work on the install of your speakers. Sundown (yeah, I'm biaised !!!), Rockford, Kicker, JL, DC,... whatever fit your budget will be good !

Take a look at ZED amp if you want something "unusual" ! But even the Clarion (Rob. Zeff made, IIRC) are very good for their little price !

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Does no one on here like ZED audio amplifiers? I've been looking into the Minotaur for a sub amplifier... Any good? Thoughts?

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Archived