Items to create music (Mixtapes, CD's, Songs)

Hey there guys. So I was wondering if anybody here knows anything about creating music for mixtapes or CD's. My friend is 15 and he's trying to take the path of being a rapper. Must I see, he's not bad but there's of course improvement. I was wondering if anybody can give me on suggestions on the best laptops to use, mics, audio interfaces, etc. This is going to be a budget studio build, so don't expect to respond with thousands of dollars of equipment. Anyways, I know a little bit of info about music making, and here's what we're probably going to get.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15

Mic: MXL V67g

Audio Interface: TASCAM US-144mkII

Programs: Reaper / Audacity / Fruity Loops XXL Studio

Headphones: N/A (Know any cheap but good headphones, please let me know :)

This is pretty much what we were looking at. I was wondering if this could put out a decent good sounding mixtape where I could slap in my car and it would sound like a regular song. If anybody has any other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

Programs are programs, the acoustics set up in the recording area will be infinitely more important in creating a great end product. Sometimes its easier to produce your own tracks and then record in a professional studio. I have my own of both and use Pro Tools to create my tracks.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Programs are programs, the acoustics set up in the recording area will be infinitely more important in creating a great end product. Sometimes its easier to produce your own tracks and then record in a professional studio. I have my own of both and use Pro Tools to create my tracks.

Well of course. I don't want to put the mic in a closet because then it sounds like we're recording in a box, which in the end, we pretty much are. We'll probably try and get a reflection filter but if we can't, then maybe just get some foam and put it all around the room, etc etc. I can't get pro tools due to money, but I do have Reaper. I just don't have an audio interface to use to try it out.

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

• 5 months later...

The reason it sound like your in a box is unwanted freq are bouncing of the walls and going back into the mic causing comb filtering. Anytime you record in any room Comb filtering is always an issue. Foam will help but not fix the issue. You can use an EQ to sweep thru the freq and find unwanted wishy wahy sounds and noises that shouldnt be in what ever you recording. EQ is for correcting what can not be fixed from proper mic placement and other setup issues. Once you get the bad out you can then use the EQ to boost or cut freq for the sound you want. I understand being on a budget is your biggest issue but it is possible to get decent recording out of a closet since many home studios do the very same thing.

My friends don't use anything in the tiny closet and it turns out like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caALnqetWOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DJsSiN0Wis

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical