Foreverbumpn and Resko1 rebuilt woofers reviewed, blown, and tore apart!

First off I want to start out and say this is not a bash thread in any means.

These are my reviews of products built by these 2 people that recone on the side, Ideas of what your getting from them for service, and quality.

Id still love to get my hands on some subs built by Sackett to test, but Im not that rich :(

I have 4 videos, 2 are kinda long ( they are straight recorded and uploaded, no editing, all in real time so you can see I didnt tamper with the woofers before hand). Sorry for the length!

I'll list the basic info in text, the rest is in the videos.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First a little intro video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onhQeGxBs2c

First up the 18s built by Resko1

MA Audio HK 15inch motors (originally rated at 2000rms/4000peak)

18 inch 12 spoke baskets (found on most AA, FI, RE, etc)

18inch Rockford cones

soft paper dustcaps

2 hard spiders, sewn tinsel leads

dual 3.3 ohm TC Sounds voice coils

Direct connect 8gauge leads

Large roll thick surrounds (like you would find on a btl, mayhem, havoc, bl, etc)

Rated by resko1 for around 1200-1500rms each

To start out, I used these woofers after blowing the woofers Foreverbumpn built. The resko1 built 18s where slightly louder on the termlab. bassraced a 148.4 with them (with mayhems i have no problem doing a perfect 149.9 score)

I used these woofers for 2 weeks previously @ 3 ohms to break them in before swapping to Fi BL 15s in the same box (with spacers), same settings.

So here is the tear down of the woofers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7AScllqTX0

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next up are the woofers Foreverbumpn built.

Thanks to CapallaSS / Jesse Spoo to letting me use his new woofers only to blow them very quick! Either way whoever was first to put power on them would of messed them up!

I took my Fi BL 15s out to run these woofers figured the 18s would be louder then the Fi Bl 15s that only did a 148.7 legal.

These woofers never seen power, I was the first one to power them up! I burped them 4 times (once at 30hz 146.6db, 40hz 150.9db, 50hz 148.9db, and 40hz again 150.5db, with a average of 149.2) back to back with a good 30-45seconds between burps. I then bassrace these woofers with a 147.6db, after my bassrace run the subs let go and where done for.

Normally with Mayhem 18s my scores are 30hz 149.8db, 40hz 151.7db, 50hz 151.0db, 40hz 151.7db, with a 151.1db average (testing done with mic on winsheld, driver door open.

Sundown Z version 1 motors

6 spoke baskets (like DD, AQ, and some other 18inch woofers use)

18inch Rockford Fosgate cones (same style cones as above woofer)

Dual 1 ohm flat wound 4layer aluminum coils

3 medium spiders (seemed very sloppy for never seeing power before)

Hard dustcaps, appear to be paper with foam in between layers

push terminals

Large roll thin surround (personally never felt such a soft and thin surround)

Rated for 2000wrms each

Now onto the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyAezfgJ74Q

My final thoughts on both woofers... Both people have things to work on. If they both built a woofer together I think it be stronger then them each doing there own thing.

The original Sundown Z 15 version 1 woofers are rated for 1000rms each, I was told these should handle 2000rms.

I personally dont feel that the Z v1 motors Foreverbumpn built would handle 1000rms, and that is because my buddies Fi BL dual 1 15s are also rated for 1000rms, and they take the saz4500 all day long at 1 ohm without getting hot, smelling, or failing, nor do I think if the Z woofers would of been rebuilt with Sundown parts they would not have failed, from my experience with the oem drop in sundown recones.

All in all Foreverbumpn always said he built woofers for a big company for many years, and can get any hard to get parts. By looking at his craftsmanship and glue joints i find it hard to believe, or he did a major rush job!

and a final thoughts vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSYUiEgMyCs

Also, here is a video from the Fi BL 15s in my truck a few days ago that still work flawlessly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_uEAlnoqeE

Couple pics..

2011-05-16003207.jpg

and a comparison of the 2 different wide roll surrounds.

The Foreverbumpn subs on the left, Resko1 subs on the right.

surrounds almost look similar in size, but the Resko1 surrounds are much sturdier!

2011-05-16044825.jpg

great write up..very unbiased review :) good stuff brian

Thanks!

Im totally tried to keep this unbiased and listed both pros and cons of their work.

Yes I totally over power both sets of woofers, however if a 1000wrms 15inch bl can do it for over a week of daily beating in the same box, same settings and even the same song (bass ballin) id think a woofer rated for what I was told 2000rms should be able to do the same!

I found the original for sale thread on CACO -> Forsale thread

The motors are from sundown Z1's. The soft parts were just stuff that forevrbumpn had in stock that fit

My original intentions was to edit the videos shorter, however once I cut open the Resko1 built woofers and noticed half the bolts missing on both subs I didnt want to edit the videos and have people think I took screws out to make him look bad.

Keep in mind, I knew Resko1 since 3rd grade, he lives less then 3 miles away from me, and he knew these woofers where being built for a friend of mine. IMO Id think a person would work harder on building something for a friend that you knew your entire life. Would it really of been that hard to drive 5 minutes to the Hardware store and buy 6 more bolts for a few bucks to use all 6 bolt holes to secure the basket to the motor? Nope.......

Great review brian. Not impressed with either of these recones at all. You were shorted screws and a spider on one, and shorted on the surround on the other not to mention the coil quality on both.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Excellent review! Hopefully both sub-reconers will take this review in stride and use it to improve their product. I'm not too familiar with Resko1 but I've seen Foreverbumpn on the forum for years and spoke through PMs several times and he seems like a stand-up guy.

1989 Chevy Caprice Classic
350ci V8 High Performance

JVC Arsenal HU

JL XR series components

Infinity Reference 6x9s

Pioneer Premier 4-Channel

Clarion 2-Channel

Rockford Fosgate Series 1 2-Channel

Fusion 2000.1D

MTX Crossover

RF, Knu, Kicker, and Monster wiring

NVX VCW 12in. Sub **Won on here from the Sonic contest!**

*Build log coming soon!*

Starting all over pretty much which the gear listed...lost almost everything I had, including my life. Never take life and what's in it for granted.

just throwin this out there, that i bought these off the guy in the original FS thread tht brian has posted, and i recieved them and the first thing i noticed as i took them out the boxes was the cheap surrounds that were used, and i intended on using these in my truck but had some things come up and not go as planned so i sold em to a local buddy capallass (jesse) sry to both of ya for selling junk woofers but like said brian was the first to power these and i had no idea they were gona go like this, and like brian had stated they woulda did the same thing to me if ida been the first to put the power on em.

also good review brian and as always great vids!

Vehicle-2014 Ford Fusion on 20" cruiser alloy obsessions
Subs-4 8" sundown audio E8v3

Sub Amp-Hifonics Brutus Elite 1200.1
box-2.8cubes after all dis tuned to 32hz 4" aero
Mids and highs-2 sets of Memphis PR 6.5 components

Mids amp-Hifonics Brutus Elite 800.4
Deck-Factory Integration
Wiring-Memphis
40sqft of damplifier Pro

http://www.youtube.c...14?feature=mhee

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Pretty disappointed.

SPL-Lab REPCar: 1996 Honda Accord F22B1 CoupeSuspension: Megan Racing Full Street Coilover Dampener KitAlternator: DC Power XP 270Batteries: XS Power D5100 & D3100Wiring: KnuKonceptz & 2/0 Welding cableHeadunit: Kenwood KDC-MP642UComponents: Hybrid Audio ClarusAmplifers: Lanzar OPTI250X4Subwoofer: 2 Sundown Audio E8.v2Deadener: Sound Deadener ShowdownSPL Meter: SPL-Lab RTA Pro meterWant an SPL meter for a lot less than the cost of a Termlab, but just as accurate and has the same features? PM me.CA ref: (enellz, 92c1v1c, el_chupo_, Thixx, Kraudio12, SethPhillips, NJack2AF, JamesKarr, ExpoSport, 01 S 10, wgsj_fortvalley, fast306stang, Lakota, blackga, TheLow, adrian1185, the727kid, rudy, sundownz, lmllopez, traksta15, gentlejax, satchel50207, Bigthangs, Goindef154)CACO ref: (extremechevyman67, ghostmechanic, FatBoy2, TheMan007, bdufner, 350zkid, ironb, bmansbach)SSA ref as phi: ( shizzzon, porkchop, onebadmonte, stevemead, TRP, ///M5, denim)SMD ref: (DC Power Rob, Nathan@XSPOWER, Jman08)And then some.

Archived