white_boi_audio Posted October 6, 2007 Author Report Posted October 6, 2007 you really cant go by what other people say is good. if I were to put my gains up to 3/4 i would probably blow my shit immediately. I would suggest setting them with a multimeter, but at very least set them by ear while you are playing them.Yeah but the amp wasn't giving them enough power so I turned it up to get them sounding ok. When I get my Audiobahn A8000T imma probably set it with a Mutlimater. "MY RIDE" 1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.8L V6 -- CB Radio with PA speaker Head Unit: 7 inch Jensen Flip-out -- Speakers: 4 Visonik 6 1/2s and 4 Visonik 6x9s Subwoofer: One Audiobahn 18 - Sub Amp: Power Acoustik OV1-2000d 2000 watt monoblock amp -- Battery in back - Kinetic HC600 -- Sub box: Custom built 5 cubic foot tuned to 30 hertz Coming soon: Bigger Highs Amp, Power inverter "WhItE bOi AuDiO" "FEAR THE DUCK"
andym85 Posted October 6, 2007 Report Posted October 6, 2007 Damn, I was out playing my 4 tens with some "walk it out" and was taking a video. I was in the trunk watching the subs with the video tape rolling. all of a sudden I heard a sub start to make a scratching noise and then it froze up and didn't do shit. So I ran and turned the car off and then when to push on the sub and it pushed in, but stuck. I was like FUCk. SO I took it out and then I pushed on it from the back side and it came loose and at the same time made a fucking nasty scratching noise and I was like its toast. Then I hooked it back up and it puts out noise and a little bass, but you can hear it making a scratching noise at low volume. But when you turn it up you can't here it. I tryed to call the tech support but they won't be open until Monday so I left a message. I think it is a defect and I hope I can get a new one cause they won't fix it or whatever they will probably have to send me a new one. They were bought on 09-07-2007 so they aren't even a month old yet, until tomorrow. I also made a RMA on the site and sent that to them. Man this sucks http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif :angry: definitely a fried coil, just like roscoe said...im about 99.9%sure i likes me some audio stuff...
suburban ant Posted October 6, 2007 Report Posted October 6, 2007 could also be the box, was it one of the top ones? your box had the 2 subs up and 2 foward with the port foward right? might be getting some cancellation and backwaves goin there - Infiniti QX4 - - 2 Digital Designs 9917s - - Digital Designs Z1 - - Digital Designs C3b -
andym85 Posted October 6, 2007 Report Posted October 6, 2007 scratching sound and the sub freezing up = a blown coil imo... i likes me some audio stuff...
white_boi_audio Posted October 6, 2007 Author Report Posted October 6, 2007 could also be the box, was it one of the top ones? your box had the 2 subs up and 2 foward with the port foward right? might be getting some cancellation and backwaves goin thereIt was the sub firing back on the port side "MY RIDE" 1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.8L V6 -- CB Radio with PA speaker Head Unit: 7 inch Jensen Flip-out -- Speakers: 4 Visonik 6 1/2s and 4 Visonik 6x9s Subwoofer: One Audiobahn 18 - Sub Amp: Power Acoustik OV1-2000d 2000 watt monoblock amp -- Battery in back - Kinetic HC600 -- Sub box: Custom built 5 cubic foot tuned to 30 hertz Coming soon: Bigger Highs Amp, Power inverter "WhItE bOi AuDiO" "FEAR THE DUCK"
fourlug Posted October 6, 2007 Report Posted October 6, 2007 Under powering will not blow a sub, a clipped signal will though, commonly when your under powering a woofer people will turn all the knobs up cause it makes it louder... therefore distorting the signal and frying the coil. A trained ear can set gains without a DMM, but if i were you I'd just use a DMM to insure it's properly set. You cant just "turn it up 3/4" what if your HU has 4v preouts...
white_boi_audio Posted October 6, 2007 Author Report Posted October 6, 2007 scratching sound and the sub freezing up = a blown coil imo...Could that be my fault or could it be a defect. Also when i took the sub out the pos wire that comes from the cone to the terminals was touching the spider, could that have caused anything. I move it over so it wouldn't touch. "MY RIDE" 1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.8L V6 -- CB Radio with PA speaker Head Unit: 7 inch Jensen Flip-out -- Speakers: 4 Visonik 6 1/2s and 4 Visonik 6x9s Subwoofer: One Audiobahn 18 - Sub Amp: Power Acoustik OV1-2000d 2000 watt monoblock amp -- Battery in back - Kinetic HC600 -- Sub box: Custom built 5 cubic foot tuned to 30 hertz Coming soon: Bigger Highs Amp, Power inverter "WhItE bOi AuDiO" "FEAR THE DUCK"
roscoe1129 Posted October 6, 2007 Report Posted October 6, 2007 Under powering will not blow a sub, a clipped signal will though, commonly when your under powering a woofer people will turn all the knobs up cause it makes it louder... therefore distorting the signal and frying the coil. A trained ear can set gains without a DMM, but if i were you I'd just use a DMM to insure it's properly set. You cant just "turn it up 3/4" what if your HU has 4v preouts... nobody said that....I said underpowering can DAMAGE a sub......... Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer Scientia est Vox "In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti" DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!! SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER
david in germany Posted October 7, 2007 Report Posted October 7, 2007 nobody said that....I said underpowering can DAMAGE a sub......... There is no way under powering a sub can damage it. If that were true then driving around with the volume turned down would kill them too. What can damage a sub (as mentioned above) is running too small of an amp and driving it too hard causing a clipped signal to be fed to the sub THIS IS NOT under powering them. Sorry to come off like a know it all, I really am not but people get things like that mixed up alot. You can effectively run a low power amp on a high rated sub with no problems as long as you set your gains properly.
white_boi_audio Posted October 7, 2007 Author Report Posted October 7, 2007 There is no way under powering a sub can damage it. If that were true then driving around with the volume turned down would kill them too. What can damage a sub (as mentioned above) is running too small of an amp and driving it too hard causing a clipped signal to be fed to the sub THIS IS NOT under powering them. Sorry to come off like a know it all, I really am not but people get things like that mixed up alot. You can effectively run a low power amp on a high rated sub with no problems as long as you set your gains properly. Yea I understand what you are saying I had my bass boost on and the gain on 3/4 for the longest and didn't mess with it and all of a sudden it pooped out. I read the warranty and it said will not fix unlesss bought from a visonik dealer. So I won't get a new one, but imma go to biglots and buy two more and just replace them. "MY RIDE" 1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.8L V6 -- CB Radio with PA speaker Head Unit: 7 inch Jensen Flip-out -- Speakers: 4 Visonik 6 1/2s and 4 Visonik 6x9s Subwoofer: One Audiobahn 18 - Sub Amp: Power Acoustik OV1-2000d 2000 watt monoblock amp -- Battery in back - Kinetic HC600 -- Sub box: Custom built 5 cubic foot tuned to 30 hertz Coming soon: Bigger Highs Amp, Power inverter "WhItE bOi AuDiO" "FEAR THE DUCK"
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.