Things that piss you off in the Car Audio world.

cost of all of the equipment.

This is one of those things that gets at me. The cost of gear has dropped so much over the past 15 years that its more affordable than ever to get a system going. A decent deck in the 90s was $300minimum. A 800 watt RMS amp was $2k and was also 2feet long, and 1k amps were almost unheard of. I have a pretty tame setup for today, but back in the 90s it would have been beastly, and cost 3x as much.

/rant

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Guy asked me what kind of numbers my truck did. Seemed to have some knowledge until he told me he did a 174 at the headrest on music. Then I lost hope

LMMFAOOOO!!!!! :roflmao:

2011 Nissan Altima aka Red Ruby

HEADUNIT: Pioneer AVH X2700BS

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-(2) Northstar SMS220 w/ Custom Terminals from 12V Metalworkz

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-(3) Sundown Audio SA REV2 12's

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

MISC (NON AUDIO RELATED):

-Interior & Exterior Lights LED

-Gloss Black Roof (PAINTED)

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-20" TSW Snettertons (20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear)

-Custom Projector Retrofit (FX-R 3.0, 6.5k HID, Morimoto Mini H1 (faux projector), Quad Starry Night Halos) ----- COMING SOON!!

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

-Custom Painted Engine Covers

My Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169869-woods-2011-altima-aka-red-ruby-new-video-more-updates/page-109

Retrofit Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185787-hid-projector-retrofitting-diy-by-wood/#entry2765346

Waiting on re cones! My god is there a company that has recones already built sitting on shelves ready to ship? Who cares about built to order this aint no damn food who cares

Flip side is customers who expect a company to have every part for every product ever made/sold sitting on the shelf waiting for them. If you know you're going to be pushing something to or past it's limit why didn't you order some for yourself as spares ahead of time? Why do I have to keep your repair parts on a shelf because you chose not to?

No hate, just sayin. I understand your pain as someone who has to try and procure parts on short notice but this is the same speech I give my customers.

I'm not at an audio shop at the moment but I still run into this scenario all the time with some of the other products I sell.

i almost ordered a recone for my treo 15˝ but it would cost me almost 300$ with shipping...

dont know if its worth the buy...tho

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

This is one of those things that gets at me. The cost of gear has dropped so much over the past 15 years that its more affordable than ever to get a system going. A decent deck in the 90s was $300minimum. A 800 watt RMS amp was $2k and was also 2feet long, and 1k amps were almost unheard of. I have a pretty tame setup for today, but back in the 90s it would have been beastly, and cost 3x as much.

/rant

more affordable than ever if you buy it from walmart.

A good 5000wrms system will set you back around 5 grand today +- few grand.

/rant

more affordable than ever if you buy it from walmart.

A good 5000wrms system will set you back around 5 grand today +- few grand.

Let's just talk gear.

90s

HU $300 (Entry level CD Sony/Pioneer no mp3s, one pair 2v preout , wtf is a remote control?)

Mids/Highs - MB Quart entry level components $400

Crossover, 3 way (amps didn't have built in filtering back then) $300 ($200 bargain basement)

75x4 for front stage, $400 (dollar per watt if you're lucky)

5K in amplifier power. US Amps or Orion, not much else that'll do that much power, 800watt "Black Beast" $1700 street ($1800-2000 retail) x6 $10,200 just in amps

Subs, Orion XTR 15s (coils could handle 800 watts but suspension really couldn't, but let's over power them) $350 (bargain basement, 1 per amp)x 6 $2100

and subs back in the day didn't do what today's DC/AA/Fi/Sundown subs could do.

Let's not even talk about wood / wire / batteries / bass processors, etc and you're at $13,700 Just in gear.

On the flip side, today's offerings of similar or better quality (this is arguable, let's talk apples to apples here, gear has gotten better and cheaper, especially subs and amps)

Basic HU, let's take my wife's DEH-P9400BH, 6ch 4v outputs, HD radio, 2 usb, mp3 playback, built in HPF/LPF $150 on Amazon

2 sets of entry level components, polk DB 6.5s, $220

4 channel amp, Soundstream Reference ( my 90s DREAM AMPLIFIER) 70x4 $189

5k of amplifiers, 2 Soundqubed 2200, $439x2 $868

4 Obsidian 15s, $800 shipped.

again no batts/wire/wood

$2227

Much louder system, less subs, should be doing 150s daily if box built right. Not doing 150s with the 90s setup. In the 90s you weren't getting much for $2300.

2007 Pacifica

^^Nice.

I remember what we sold wire for.

4awg for $3.50/ft

0awg for $6+/ft

Buck a watt for mid grade amps. My first PPI 2030AM was $169.00 That's 60 watts for almost $3 per watt.

And the lesser quality stuff was absolute garbage. First amp I ever bought was an LA Sound 4x50 for $119.00. It lasted 3 minutes in my car before I took it out. Hiss at all volumes, crap sound, no power at all. Took it back and exchanged for the PPI which blew it away in every aspect at about 1/4 the rated power. Maybe not quite as loud but at least you could listen to it without wanting to stick soldering irons in your ears for relief.

Static drops are my bag.

fucking alternator whine. I had no issues for about 6 months. Then boom. What. The. Fuck.

Checked all arounds on amps, nothing was loose. Checked the connection at battery, snug as it has been. Checked the chassis ground in rear. Still covered in paint and shows not signs of cracking or rust.

Checked all RCA's on HU, snug mofos (knu)

guess I'll have to pull the hu. It's a kenwood so I was assuming I wouldn't have issues with alternator whine.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Before you pull the hu, plug your phone or iPod directly into your amp. Might be still be your hu, but this is easy to check first before ripping apart your dash.

2007 Pacifica

Before you pull the hu, plug your phone or iPod directly into your amp. Might be still be your hu, but this is easy to check first before ripping apart your dash.

Awesome idea!!

I went out to go listen through the HU one last time before I hooked my ipod up to amp and the whine was gone. I revved engine to 2k and 3k and no whine. This is going to piss me off even more if it is one of those situations where it comes and goes.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Boss Amplifiers!!! Lololololol!!!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters