Second Skin Audio

Help finalizing box design.

I got an older rockford 10" at a yard sale for cheap. Dont know how it plays yet so I decided Id build a box for the DC 10" I want and just run the rockford till i smoke it. This will be installed ina '99 4runner (I need to update my sig).

The LVL 3 will be powered by a Rockford P5002, which is advertised at 500rms. I suspect output is slightly more.

Here is the calc shot...

noroundbox2calc.jpg

And here is how I'd like the layout to be.

noroundbox2.jpg

I am unsure of if the calculator is taking into account the extra inner walls of the port, just having a hard time understand how the calculator calculates.

Also, My port is 10" tall and 1.6" wide, will the small width create any problems?

Other port Qs...

What effects will rounding the edges inside the port have on tuning? Like this...

roundoverbox2.jpg

And If I add 45s the port would need to be longer? It seems to me like it would?

Thanks for taking the time to look guys.

99 4runner - So far: Alpine PDX4.100 & AQ1200D. Needz speekrz yo.

Add 45's and round-over the port corners, and move the sub to the far right to keep it as far away from the inside port opening as possible. In fact, ditch the last 180* turn in the port and run it up the left side of the box instead.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Why would ditching the last 180 turn help performance?? I can see how it would help because there are less turns but just curious how that would actually help.

Not disagreeing just trying to learn something lol.

it will provide a better loading environment for the sub to work in as well as less restriction.

rounding over the port will help air flow, and not sure if james is talking about 45's in the port or the box, but i don't bother with 45's in the box, but i put them in the port for better air flow. even if they don't always help, it won't be audible. imo they have a better chance of helping than hurting.

Add 45's and round-over the port corners, and move the sub to the far right to keep it as far away from the inside port opening as possible. In fact, ditch the last 180* turn in the port and run it up the left side of the box instead.

I do like that idea. I don't know why i didn't think about doing that in the first place. Just trying to over-complicate things.

what rockford?

An HE I think. I'm not at home or id get the model number for you. I cant find specs on it anywhere.

Looks like this...

h575RFP3410_DMT.jpeg

um those 45s hes talking about dont always help...just like the wanna be t-lines.

please elaborate.

Edited by toylocost

Ok here is the speaker. Rockford HE 10" - RPF3410. Found some info here on crutchfield under features and specs...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575RFP3410/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-HE-RFP3410.html?tp=111&tab=features_and_specs

DSCF2117Large.jpg

I hooked it up to another car and listened to it a little bit. I think I can hear a slight rattle or buzz coming from it but it could be the box it was in, So I'm not sure of the condition of it yet.

DSCF2115Large.jpg

I got that, the kendwood amp, kenwood 6 disk changer, monster wire (everything but remote), and a MTX Thunderform enclosure for a single cab Tacoma for $40.

Edited by toylocost