06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Power and ground hooked up, got a buzz from the unit loading up. We're powered!

DSC05497.jpg

AAAANNNNNNNNNDDDDDD! NOTHING! Damn!

DSC05498.jpg

So basically that pretty much eliminates the ability to put it in the headliner. I need at least 8 feet of cable to get it up there around the windshield. SO the headliner is out, and now it's the dash bezel under the tablet. But instead of just taking the option I HAD to make sure it was in fact going to work. It's like play golf, you have to hear the ball drop in the cup. Well here I had to see it work for myself. So I cut each one about 2' in length giving me 4' total. I figure this was plenty to work with.

DSC05499.jpg

Now I didn't want to take the time to put crimp connectors on each one cause I wasn't going to leave them like this. I'll be making molex connectors for each end, and then making a harness cable in the end that way I can remove either end if i need to for whatever reason. However, for the bench testing, twisting and electrical tape will do.

DSC05500.jpg

Round two ready................................................nothing! EFF!!

DSC05501.jpg

At this point I was getting pissed. I figured 4 feet would work for sure. I can't imagine a run this short would not work. So I got out my DMM and checked each and every wire. I connected both plates together via electrical tape, and tested all the wires. Non touching, all connected correctly. NOW I'm stumped. But I couldn't stop so I did it again. Cut it down even more. I cut off 10" of the wire and reconnected.

Tried it again! ITS ALIVE, ALLLLIIIIIIIVVVVVEEE!!!!! WOOHOO!!

DSC05502.jpg

DSC05503.jpg

However, now I may have a problem. I'm sitting at 32" now. Even though the glove box is right next to the dash bezel, I have to go all the way to the front of the glove box, not just to the back end of it. So it may be too short to work with. I need to get in the glove box, figure out where it's going to sit, and then take a string and take a measurement so I know exactly how long I need this to be. I'm also going to keep adding inches until I don't get the face plate on anymore. I'm hoping to get another 4" - 6" out of it, but I have a feeling that I may only get 2".

But at this point, I know where it has to go, which is below the tablet. That will allow me to move forward with the tablet install and know where it's all going. Until then, I'll keep adding inches until I can't go any further.

So there you have it, my work for the weekend! Thanks for tuning in!

Looking good definitely doing work and :lol: sometimes I wonder if you enjoy putting yourself through this but looking good definitely entertaining :popcorn::good:

Ooooohhhh Goodie does this mean I should be expecting to see a little cutting, fitting and installing of the HU?

Well it's like anything else, if you want to do something, and you don't, you'll never know if it works! It's stressful sometimes, especially if I'm doing something outside of the realm of my understanding, but at the end of the day, I LOVE IT!!

As far as the head unit. I'll probably be doing something with it in the next couple of weeks for sure. I'm going to get my steering wheel interface ordered today, and then start worrying about how to get the cd player in the glove box. I have to make sure the angle is gonna be good. I may buy a second glove box, or a back up, and then cut the back end out of it, so the face is only left. That way it goes up and down like a glove box should, but then build a panel that's straight down so the unit can sit in there straight. I also will probably need to put buttons and stuff in there as well.

More plans will be coming as soon as I figure them out! But now I can start moving on with getting the dash bezel finished for the tablet. That will now take priority on the whole thing. I want it done.

Oh well, I guess the comfort is that it could get a little unpractical up there :shrug:

If you don't mind, my my opinion is still that all three units together would look out of place. What about having the Alpine unit sentered under the iPad? And find another place for the DRC. The Alpine and iPad are both a glossy black so they match up, while the DRC kind of don't.... Just MY opinion and something to think about, allthough you probably have numerous times :D

Looking good definitely doing work and :lol: sometimes I wonder if you enjoy putting yourself through this but looking good definitely entertaining :popcorn::good:

Ooooohhhh Goodie does this mean I should be expecting to see a little cutting, fitting and installing of the HU?

Well it's like anything else, if you want to do something, and you don't, you'll never know if it works! It's stressful sometimes, especially if I'm doing something outside of the realm of my understanding, but at the end of the day, I LOVE IT!!

As far as the head unit. I'll probably be doing something with it in the next couple of weeks for sure. I'm going to get my steering wheel interface ordered today, and then start worrying about how to get the cd player in the glove box. I have to make sure the angle is gonna be good. I may buy a second glove box, or a back up, and then cut the back end out of it, so the face is only left. That way it goes up and down like a glove box should, but then build a panel that's straight down so the unit can sit in there straight. I also will probably need to put buttons and stuff in there as well.

More plans will be coming as soon as I figure them out! But now I can start moving on with getting the dash bezel finished for the tablet. That will now take priority on the whole thing. I want it done.

:rofl: cool this looking good thus far. What made you decide on the glove box as the placement for the main unit?

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Oh well, I guess the comfort is that it could get a little unpractical up there :shrug:

If you don't mind, my my opinion is still that all three units together would look out of place. What about having the Alpine unit sentered under the iPad? And find another place for the DRC. The Alpine and iPad are both a glossy black so they match up, while the DRC kind of don't.... Just MY opinion and something to think about, allthough you probably have numerous times :D

Ya know, I actually thought of that for that very reason, but it's not a main cog in the system, so it doesn't have to be front and center, but the bit one is a main piece and that's how it, the system, would be turned up and down as well as the settings etc. So I need to have it accessible more so than the alpine unit. I've also thought about taking it apart and painting it black for that same reason, why the face plate for the alpine unit would go good under the tablet. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. But I think the DRC has to be there as well.

I do agree though, it does get a little busy. Maybe the face plate can just stay in the glove box with the unit. I don't need to touch it other than to put in a cd. I'll figure something out.

:rofl: cool this looking good thus far. What made you decide on the glove box as the placement for the main unit?

Honestly, big space, doesn't need to be seen, and I needed somewhere for all the switches to go anyway. So I thought I'd utilize the glove box which I never use anyway. Another thought of mine is the cubby under the dash. Not sure if I can get it in there or not though. Might be too deep for it to fit in there. I'll have to look at it tonight. Was there somewhere else you would suggest or just curious?

Ya know, I actually thought of that for that very reason, but it's not a main cog in the system, so it doesn't have to be front and center, but the bit one is a main piece and that's how it, the system, would be turned up and down as well as the settings etc. So I need to have it accessible more so than the alpine unit. I've also thought about taking it apart and painting it black for that same reason, why the face plate for the alpine unit would go good under the tablet. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. But I think the DRC has to be there as well.

I do agree though, it does get a little busy. Maybe the face plate can just stay in the glove box with the unit. I don't need to touch it other than to put in a cd. I'll figure something out.

Honestly, big space, doesn't need to be seen, and I needed somewhere for all the switches to go anyway. So I thought I'd utilize the glove box which I never use anyway. Another thought of mine is the cubby under the dash. Not sure if I can get it in there or not though. Might be too deep for it to fit in there. I'll have to look at it tonight. Was there somewhere else you would suggest or just curious?

A little of both because from the looks of it you wont be utilizing the CD player so you don't need the unit to actually function, or did I miss something? But since you don't use the glove box go for it. I utilize mine so I was thinking in the aspect of losing that space right there.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Aah, i see!

Painting the DRC crossed my mind to. If you could get it to a nice black finish it would be soo sweet next to (under) the iPad!

I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution.

Carry on :clapping:

A little of both because from the looks of it you wont be utilizing the CD player so you don't need the unit to actually function, or did I miss something? But since you don't use the glove box go for it. I utilize mine so I was thinking in the aspect of losing that space right there.

I'm not sure if I'll be utilizing it or not. If I ever compete I'll have to use it. But otherwise, I just don't know. The main reason I was going to do it was so I could have access to local radio, and am radio for listening to my Giants baseball, and stuff like that. The tablet has that stuff, but I'm trying to avoid streaming if I can. I'm getting a taste of how fast my data goes when I tether with my girls tablets. So it's probably not necessary to even have it in there, but it's the awww factor too. I'll figure out what i'm going to do. Most everything I have on CD, will be uploaded to the tablet anyway. So mostly I won't need the cd player. But if someone has one, and rides with me, I want to be able to play it if they say hey can we play this.

Aah, i see!

Painting the DRC crossed my mind to. If you could get it to a nice black finish it would be soo sweet next to (under) the iPad!

I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution.

Carry on :clapping:

Ya I'll take a look at painting. I just don't want it to look like trash and I basically only get one chance at it. So I'll have to decide if I'm that bold or not. I'm sure I can get a replacement, but it'll probably cost some serious coin to get. So I'll figure something out.

BTW, it's a Samsung Galaxy, not an Ipad. Just fyi.

BTW, it's a Samsung Galaxy, not an Ipad. Just fyi.

HAHAHHAA ROFL! You know you have watched to much Amplified when.....!!

Dude I'm sorry, tryin to sneak the iPad up in your build thread... Wow, I even use an Android phone..

:vava:

Archived