06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

I might have exaggerated a tlittle :) Just to make a point out of the effects of the cabin gain.

Also, the way it is dragged all the way down it looks like it drops quite heavily until you aqtually study the numbers.

Ok I thought I said something about this but maybe I didn't cause I can't seem to find it. I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet, but I just ordered some parts today for a custom project in this build. This will be something I can do inside, soldering etc, on those nights I cant get outside and cut wood or anything.

I'll show you this much and let your imagination run wild!

AlpineWireOrder.jpg

AlpinePartsorder.jpg

Things are goin DOWN now!!!

BTW, only a couple people or maybe even one, already knows the plan here! DON'T FREAKING SPILL IT! Let's see who can guess what I've got up my sleeve! I'm sure it's not that hard to figure out!

On another note, it sounds like the power supply design is nearly done. Just some final checks to make sure it's right, and I'll be ready to start building that too!!

Thanks! Always nice to see someone go through the whole thing. I know there's a lot of chatter to go through!

As far as the tablet build, thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I've been talking with Doug Bernards at SoundmanCarAudio.com and we've got it nailed down. I just have to get my ass out there and work on it.

The tutorial, made me think of it. I ordered my monitor yesterday for the center console. So as soon as that comes in, I'll get the equipment out and do an article based on what I've found out and how I'm doing things. So look for that in the next few weeks!

Won't ship till the end of this week! Chinese new year! REALLY, how do they get days and days for new year, and we get one! WTF!

Because Asians know how to have a good time. :drinks:

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Hey guys. Long weekend, not much happened. I did a temporary install with the sub and the HDP5 to see how it sounds and OHHHHH am I happy! I do think for sure I'm going with a second sub though! I think it's gonna be bad ass if I do that! So I'm thinking boxes again. I'm happy with the way it sounds in the temporary box I build a month ago, and I've designed a box to get both in there ported and have the center pass through cut out also. But I'm thinking 4th order design again.

I was trying to look back and figure out, I thought i saw someone say that I should be around 12sq in per foot for port area? Is that correct?

I was messing around a bit on torres, and I came up with this:

Sealed: 1.5 cu ft net

Ported: 3.0 cu ft net

Port: 6" tall x 6" wide x 11" long at 37.45 hz (Port Area Per Ft - 8.30 sq in, port area 36 sq in, port area range 52 - 69 sq in.)

Total combined: 4.34 cu ft net

Does that sound about right or what suggestions do you guys have?

I have pictures of the temp install, but I didn't get them loaded up last night, so I can't post them up just yet. I'll get to them tonight!

Thanks!

Alright guys, I've gotten some questions about where's the updates, what's going on etc. As I've said before i'm a busy guy, and that doesn't just mean work. I have a full plate at home as well. Anyway, I'm waiting on some parts, and some time, and things like that and I'll be getting back at it. But in the meantime I've been busy with some designs. I've officially completed my design of the trunk and what it "should" look like when I'm all done with it. I have some pictures here and I'll go through each one individually. Let me get started.

First up let me just say that I've decided to compromise some things I originally said I didn't want to compromise on. One of those being the spare tire well. Wasn't going to loose the spare but after thinking and thinking some more about it, I decided that if I don't have a spare, it's not the end of the world. I have AAA, I have the smarts to keep my kids out of danger, and frankly with what was going in, I'm not sure I could have even gotten to it anyway. However by doing that, I was able to get a bigger battery in there and thus more power.

I will say this, there is going to be some equipment changes, I know I know not again. Yes again! I tried to be conservative with this and it just didn't work for me. After testing some things out, I've decided on this as my final design and equipment build. Not much is changing, just a couple of things. I'll get into that as we go along.

Let me just flash you the finished product here and then I'll go through it and explain each part! Get your glasses on and get ready to read!

Finished Trunk Design Front View:

TrunkBuildFinishedFacingFront.jpg

Top View:

TrunkBuildTopView.jpg

Straight on Front View:

TrunkBuildFinishedStraightonFront.jpg

Side View:

TrunkBuildFinishedSideView.jpg

Now that you have the overall appearance of the build, let me go through the individualized pieces.

Rear View:

TrunkBuildFinishedFacingRear.jpg

Cubbies

First up we have the side cubbies. These cubbies are the back of the trunk on both sides. My original plan was to put the Stinger Battery in there and basically throw some distribution blocks and stuff in there and be done. I've decided on a new plan of attack for these to utilize my space better and get more in.

The current set up has a component rack behind the back seat. This is being removed to make more space for the sub enclosure. Well I couldn't exactly take all the equipment that I need to run the tablets, chargers, and other things, and just throw them under the seats or something. Nope that wouldn't be my style! So all the components are going to now reside in these cubbies! I did not fill them in these sketches, but soon you will understand what's going on with them.

Driver Side Cubby:

TrunkBuildFinishedDriverSideCubby.jpg

Passenger Side Cubby:

TrunkBuildFinishedPassengerSideCubby.jpg

The Power

So in order to run what I'm planning to run, I have to go back to either two smaller batteries, or a larger sized battery. While I think the stinger is a good battery, I've seen and heard nothing but great things from XS Power Batteries. My current plan is to remove the Stinger SPP1200 battery from the front, and replace it with an XS Power D5100. With that battery I need more power to run the amount of potential watts I'm going to have on tap. So for that I've decided to go with an XS Power D3100.

This is where the spare tire well comes into place. I'll be building a rack to counter sink the battery into the spare tire well. The battery will stick up anywhere from a half inch to a full inch. This is ok cause I was already planning a shallow false floor. Here is a picture of the battery in it's place.

TrunkBuildFinishedLoweredBatteryTray.jpg

TrunkBuildFinishedFloorwithBatteryandFuseHolders.jpg

Looking at that picture you can see flanking the battery on the left and right, are two cubbies that are counter sunk into the false floor. These are the power cables that will go from the battery to the amps and power components in the side cubbies I spoke of earlier. There will be four amplifiers, so I will need power for all of them. These cubbies will house two 4 gauge positives and two 4 gauge negative cables, and one 8 gauge positive and one 8 gauge negative cable. The positives will pass through individual fuse holders. Take a closer look.

TrunkBuildFinishedFuseHolderCubby.png

All this power will be supplied by a Mechman 220 amp high output alternator.

Amplifiers and Rack

Speaking of power and amplifiers let's take a look at the design for these. Last we spoke I was getting the rear deck amp rack ready for three amplifiers. The two Hertz HDP4's and the Hertz HDP5. Since that time a little bit has changed as I said. I've decided that I want more bass and with that I need more power. I have the Hertz HX 300D in my trunk now and while it sounds great it's simply lacking for what I want. So I've decided to double it up again. I know, I should've just kept the other one. Hind sight is 20 20 ya know! It is what it is and it is done so let's move on!

Well to operate those two subs, I need two amps. I thought one would be ok, but with the power requirements of the subs, vs the limitations on the amps, one amp would just simply not handle the two subs together. So I've decided to go with dual Hertz HDP1's. One mono amp to each sub capable of 1000 watts @ 2ohms. See why I needed the bigger battery!

So the amp rack is basically staying the same! Only I'm having to squeeze that other amp in there. Thankfully the HDP5 and the HDP1 are the same size. So I can continue on with the rack build and use the templates I've already made to get them all ready to go.

Here's a little peak at the amp rack.

Front:

TrunkBuildFinishedAmpRackFrontView.jpg

Rear:

TrunkBuildFinishedAmpRackRearView.jpg

Side:

TrunkBuildFinishedAmpRackSideView.jpg

Sub Enclosure:

So I have to be honest here. I'm still not 100% about this yet, but I'll be doing a test box soon to make sure it's gonna be good. This enclosure as you will see, is a bandpass enclosure. We all know I've struggled with this for a while, and after walking away from it for a bit, then coming back to it, I came up with this design and checked with quite a few people and everyone seems to think it's gonna work. But, that's what test boxes are for.

I have to make sure on this box, cause if it doesn't work it just throws the entire design off. Well not entirely, but it's pretty close! These subs will be the same as what I have currently, Hertz HX300D's running at a 2ohm load. The sealed side is facing the cabin and the port is actually passing through the sealed enclosure and ending at the rear seat armrest pass through. The subs cones will be facing the cabin.

Here are the pics of the enclosure and I'm also going to include some of the pics of the building of it.

Rear View From the Cabin:

TrunkBuildFinishedSubEnclsoureRearView.jpg

Front View From the Trunk, view of the port from inside the enclosure:

TrunkBuildFinishedSubEnclosureFrontViewWPort.jpg

Now I'll show you some of the build pics.

This is basically what I started with to do this trunk design.

4thorderenclosurefront.jpg

4thorderenclosurerear.jpg

4thorderenclosuresiderear.jpg

4thorderenclosuretopview2withtopandsidehidden.jpg

4thorderenclosuretopviewwithtopandsidehidden.jpg

Bit One Processor:

So the only thing changing about the Bit One is it's location once again. While you didn't see it on the sketches, I am keeping it in the system. My plan as of now is to put it on the trunk lid. If for some reason I don't need one of the two cubbies for components, I'll move it to there. But for now I'm back to the trunk lid and flanked with a hertz and audison logo under some plexi glass!

So there it is guys and gals! That's what's going on up to date. I still have some secrets I've not divulged yet, although I think a few of you know what's going on. But they'll be seen soon enough. Like I said I'm waiting on parts to get here so I can start on that stuff.

The tablet is still going forward, the kindle fire headrest mounts are still going forward, the monitor was shipped the other day along with the headphone amplifiers, and most everything except for what I mentioned is staying the same. The only other thing that's changing is I've decided to 86 the rear fill. So there won't be any rear fill at this time. Kids have their headphones, and I've been testing them with low music to make sure they can hear it ok in the back, thus not needing the rear fill. If I have to add it in later, I'll do that. But for now, it's out!

So that's about it. Things are going to happen soon, I know I say that alot, but it's going to happen! As soon as these few things come in I'm waiting for I'll get back up and running and posting updates. I can't stand it anymore! I need this thing done! It's gone on far too long!

So here's a list of things I need to get as far as equipment goes:

XS Power D5100 / D3100

1 - Hertz HX 300D

2 - Hertz HDP1's

As far as finishing and things of that nature. What you're seeing in blue is all plexi glass. The enclosure has 3/4" plexi on it, and the floor and side cubbies are probably going to be either 1/2" or 1/4" or a combination of both.

Due to the fact that I need this thing semi functional, I'll be also making small trim panels and with those, inserts that will cover all the glass. There will also be 3/4" plexi in the front of the box that faces the cabin, so that I can pull the seats down and show the faces as well. Those don't need covers cause the seat will cover them just fine.

I've not decided on if I'm going to use LED's or not. I'll decided that some point down the line. I think I'm leaning toward yes, but we'll see.

Stay tuned!

Archived