Second Skin Audio

1 Sony 10" > 2 MTX 10"s !?

Greetings everyone,

I spent the weekend drunk building a box, paradise. I made it out of some spare particle board and plexi glass for 2 lonesome MTX Thunder 6000's 10"s. The box is sealed fairly well, gorilla glued+silicone and hot glued inside and out. The subs are 4ohm, dual voice. I got them from a brother in law, they're older and somewhat scruffed but not torn. 1 seems to make a tick the other doesn't.

I hooked them up in the custom box (see pics below) to a Bazooka Bazooka EL 1500 Mono amp. Which I believe is about 500w @ 2 ohms. Probably x1, idk but its my most powerful amp. The MTX's were flexin, they seemed maxed at 30 volume on my headunit. The bass was very disappointing. I was disgusted after the build I expected my efforts to be worth while. I've heard better from a single 6" mid. I checked pos/neg seemed correct but there no indicators besides a single red mark on 2 voice connectors per sub. Which I take as positive. I have them hooked up +/- going from voice connector to the other (On the sub). If I disconnect 1 sub, use it kinda like a pass radiator. The bass does get deeper but its not satisfying.

I have a Sony XS-L100P5W 1000w Xplod 10" Single coil 4 ohm (Red)in a old Kicker box. Sounds 5x better than the MTXs. Maybe its in a bad enclosure?

k130hv.png

All my ish: http://img62.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=baz1.png

Theoretically, you can't polish shit (You can). But its strange how bad these MTX's sound I've never had them in a box before this. I'm not relying on these subs either so if worse comes to worse I'll just blow'em up XD

-David

Edited by deviantdigi

Sounds like your phases are wired backwards, although that box also looks tiny which hurts output.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Yeah man although your box looks cool and it's a good idea, it looks much much too small! The Sony sounds good because it is in a box made to spec! Try making a box with the required airspace and port frequency

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

I'm gonna blame this completely on your "custom" box bro

My POS Bass machine-
2003 Hyundai Santa Fe on some shitty 22's
Bed Liner Paint Job-Pioneer AVH 3200DVD
4 DAD BD series 15's in a 4th Order (Bassheads ENT Design)
4 Arc Audio XDI2000.1 for the woofers
6 Cadence CVL68MBX 6.5's-Cadence CVL88MBX 8's-6 Cadence XT20 Supertweeters
2 Arc Audio KS300.4's for mids and tweets
1 Arc Audio ALD 10v Line Driver
All Audiotechnix Power wire
1 DC Power 270XP High Output Alternator
1 XS Power D3400 up front....6 XS Power D3100's in the rear
Air Lift 1000 Bags in rear to help with suspension
If your still reading this GFY.......

6iW2jaE_zpsb3084721.png

Greetings everyone,

I spent the weekend drunk building a box, paradise. I made it out of some spare particle board and plexi glass for 2 lonesome MTX Thunder 6000's 10"s. The box is sealed fairly well, gorilla glued+silicone and hot glued inside and out. The subs are 4ohm, dual voice. I got them from a brother in law, they're older and somewhat scruffed but not torn. 1 seems to make a tick the other doesn't.

I hooked them up in the custom box (see pics below) to a Bazooka Bazooka EL 1500 Mono amp. Which I believe is about 500w @ 2 ohms. Probably x1, idk but its my most powerful amp. The MTX's were flexin, they seemed maxed at 30 volume on my headunit. The bass was very disappointing. I was disgusted after the build I expected my efforts to be worth while. I've heard better from a single 6" mid. I checked pos/neg seemed correct but there no indicators besides a single red mark on 2 voice connectors per sub. Which I take as positive. I have them hooked up +/- going from voice connector to the other (On the sub). If I disconnect 1 sub, use it kinda like a pass radiator. The bass does get deeper but its not satisfying.

I have a Sony XS-L100P5W 1000w Xplod 10" Single coil 4 ohm (Red)in a old Kicker box. Sounds 5x better than the MTXs. Maybe its in a bad enclosure?

k130hv.png

All my ish: http://img62.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=baz1.png

Theoretically, you can't polish shit (You can). But its strange how bad these MTX's sound I've never had them in a box before this. I'm not relying on these subs either so if worse comes to worse I'll just blow'em up XD

-David

Just read bold parts and think why it turned out the way it did.

How bout this. I'll save you the the effort of blowing them. I'll buy the MTXs from you for *checks Paypal* $5 shipped.

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I guess I should have expected failure but I'm thick headed like that XD. I've built normal ported type boxes before that worked great. Since I have two 12" in my trunk I wanted these to go between my front and rear seats which made dimensions a bit awkward. There is a reason its small.

The height dimension in only like 5". You think it would be worth investing in a thicker plexi glass and also making it taller in height? Or just scrap the entire thing? It took a really long time to make lol.

Edited by deviantdigi

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I guess I should have expected failure but I'm thick headed like that XD. I've built normal ported type boxes before that worked great. Since I have two 12" in my trunk I wanted these to go between my front and rear seats which made dimensions a bit awkward. There is a reason its small.

The height dimension in only like 5". You think it would be worth investing in a thicker plexi glass and also making it taller in height? Or just scrap the entire thing? It took a really long time to make lol.

destroy it and make a proper box