Sonic Electronix

Few Discrepancies About # of Common Port Walls

That's right, you can also have 0. Didn't think about that option where the port isn't on any one side of the box.

An Audio Technix 18" Strato on a Kicker KX120.2

My Youtube Bass Vids

Updates When Possible...

I've bought from JBurt09, OrionStang, bcpballer64, LoudNLow931, audioman21, and CJ18 from here (as refs)

7j2.png

It's been said on here already, so my main question is do you really plan on feeding 7,200 watts to a single BTL?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

It's been said on here already, so my main question is do you really plan on feeding 7,200 watts to a single BTL?

He put an "s" on the end of 18 so I think there may be 2. :pardon:

formerly known as Jaylor Swift

Yep 2 18s. So it's still a bit unclear, but is it that in order for it to be a common port wall, it has to share airspace with the subwoofer? I still don't quite understand why the back wall wouldn't be included in the number of common port walls if the port itself is longer than the top dimension of the box..

I don't have a technical explanation, but just imagine you don't bend the port. Let's just say the box is infinitely deep, so the port going straight back will only touch 3 "common" walls. What you are thinking of as the 4th wall is only an extension of the top wall.

0 walls=port in center, not touching any walls

1 wall=port and box share one wall (Box is 35 wide, port is only 20, centered)

2 walls=""share 2 walls (Box is 35 wide, port only 20, but against one side)

3 walls=shares 3 walls. (Box 35 wide, port 33.5 wide, touching both sides and bottom)

If I wasn't feeling lazy, I'd find picture examples lol

I don't have a technical explanation, but just imagine you don't bend the port. Let's just say the box is infinitely deep, so the port going straight back will only touch 3 "common" walls. What you are thinking of as the 4th wall is only an extension of the top wall.

0 walls=port in center, not touching any walls

1 wall=port and box share one wall (Box is 35 wide, port is only 20, centered)

2 walls=""share 2 walls (Box is 35 wide, port only 20, but against one side)

3 walls=shares 3 walls. (Box 35 wide, port 33.5 wide, touching both sides and bottom)

If I wasn't feeling lazy, I'd find picture examples lol

I appreciate this description! It sort of makes sense, I guess. I just didn't understand why there couldn't be more than 3 common port sides in a box that obviously has 6 sides, not 4. But I think I understand that an extension of an already present common wall doesn't count as another wall.

Thanks bassfiend!

It isn't 4 because the port and box only have 3 common walls at any one time, even with a bend. The port may share 4 common walls with the box, but never all 4 at the same time

ForumAvatarcopy.jpg

2011 Honda CR-Z Mugen

12" Kicker SoloX Subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate t20001bd

Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Head Unit

Build Log

OK I'll explain this best as I can.

By common walls its talking about how many "walls" the port is sharing with the box.

First off a port CANNOT have 4 common walls, because that would mean that the top, bottom, and 2 sides of the box would consist of a port, and have no baffle. SO completely impossible.

0 common walls would be a port just "floating" in the center of a baffle. Imagine Meade's box. Port is sharing no walls with the box.

1 common wall would usually be a box that has its port on the top or bottom of the box. In this case the port ONLY shares 1 wall in common with the box, either the top or bottom depending on the ports location. So imagine port on the top but only is a portion of the width of the box. Shit just look at my sig, and that an example of 1 common wall.

2 common walls would be a box that has its port vertically down the middle. So SUB,PORT,SUB, in this case its sharing 2 port wall in common with the box, the top and the bottom of the box.

3 common walls would be every box that has its port is just was wide or tall has the box is wide or tall. Imagine a box that is 2 subs next to each other and the port off to one of the sides. Or a box with two subs side by side, and the port is either at the top or bottom. TwistedChild's box is an example of 3 common walls. 3 commons walls share either 2 side on 1 top or bottom with the box as in twisted's case, or the top, bottom and 1 side of the box.

Hope this helps

man imagine if you read the entire thread you downloaded the calculator from. it would probably even explain it with pictures .

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived