Sonic Electronix

nope it was mechanical failure, the starter spins when i turn the key but nothing else happens haha and to be honest im done with it anyways

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go

well to me it would almost make sense that the noise i was hearing was coming from the starter not retracting all the way and making contact with the flywheel, because the noise was coming directly behind the pedals which is where the starter is.

I have been told that for some vehicles it is bad to disconnect the battery why the vehicle is running, it fucks with the fuel pump or something. i was told this after i disconnected my battery, to see if the alt was fine. but i had no problems what so ever. so good luck

Haven't seen a bot on here before :P

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

i did 2 tests:

1.i pulled disconnected the alt from the batt and car stayed on so

2. i swapped my batt with a known good batt and still had the same problem.

im stumped here.

damn....... well, i hate to be the one to tell you this, but i think your car has aids. sorry man.....

your are right it isnt due to the battery being disconnected, ^^ this is the most accurate statement about my car. hahaha

If you can, take the starter off and look at the fingers of the gear on it, if it is half chewed up (meaning that half of the width of the teeth on the gears are ground off, dis formed or cracked) then your starter isnt retracting all the way after you start the vehicle up. If you find this then try to take a look into the opening by your flywheel to see if the teeth on the flywheel are chewed up, if it is then you may need to replace the flywheel and starter both.

Also, even though you had problems with it because you disconnected the battery, i highly recommend you take the battery and disconnect it from your entire vehicle so there is no power in the engine. The reason for this is that your main power and ground wires that are stock go to your starter and you dont want to take the chance of shorting it out on your engine.

And lastly, the ONLY thing that will ever occur to your vehicle as disconnecting your battery will be you clearing out learned programs and stations in your stock radio (some vehicles, not all), erasing the preset information your PCM (power control module) learned about the emission control of your vehicle, and any other customizable features of your vehicle such as adjustable brake and gas pedals, driver memory seats, etc. I ran into the problem with the PCM erasing out its learned information on my 04 envoy and it cost me $1400 to get it back to running order. Basically the truck had to learn how much fuel was too rich or too lean, when to fire the spark plugs, when to shift gears, pretty much everything with emissions and performance. The reason it cost me though was because the previous owner never took care of the truck like i am and it as dirty and had factory equipment that was never changed at high mileage so it is understandable why it broke.

I hope this helps you out but i assure you, you did not do anything wrong by disconnecting the battery.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

^^thank you thats actually really helpful. your the only person who has acknowledged the fact that the starter gear may not have retraced all the way and that also could've been the cause for the noise i heard, which i decided wasnt a big enough deal not to drive the car. i live in Calgary, and yesterday waas the last day of stampede, i went to pick up my girl from work, parked in the handicap/loading zone right in front of the entrance like an asshole then turned the car off. and wouldn't you know it my car wouldn't start when she got in, just the starter was spinning. needless to say hundreds of people that walked by laughed at me as they went in.

im going to take the starter out now and test the solenoid, however i'm not quite sure how to do that. just put power and ground to the starter? or just to the solenoid?

Archived