Second Skin Audio

How low to tune my 15" ?

Sub is in my sig as well as amp, building a new box.

Using the torres calc (awesome program btw thanks torres) how low should I shoot for tuning?

Going to be going with 4 cu ft, slot ported. According to memphis, they reccomend 38hz for tuning for SPL, but I am not going to be competing. Its just a daily.

is 30 hz too low for a newer Cast Mojo Quad 1 ohm 15?

Edited by jmilch

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

I was thinking of shooting for 30 hz. Its in a slightly larger box design that recommended.

Anyone else?

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

i normally try to keep tuning around 32-35 hz for music but i know some people like higher and some people go lower. if you want to try some different options then use a pvc or aero port and just cut different lengths and see which sounds best to you

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

i normally try to keep tuning around 32-35 hz for music but i know some people like higher and some people go lower. if you want to try some different options then use a pvc or aero port and just cut different lengths and see which sounds best to you

I thought about using a drop in adjustable slot port design.

So would 32 be safer for general music listening? Assuming my calculations or the program will be slightly off?

I'd like to know why it wouldn't be safe. I thought as long as you set your subsonic properly, along with the other amp settings, you would be fine.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

I'd like to know why it wouldn't be safe. I thought as long as you set your subsonic properly, along with the other amp settings, you would be fine.

I set my equipment properly. I meant safe as a play on words, not as in me chancing my equipment.

:drinks:

Of course with the subsonic set and gain set proper it will be fine. I am wondering if it will sound like money ass.

And don't say "try it and see". I'd like some help, I dont plan on changing the port at this point, when it is in done...

So 32 ish? :shrug:

I set my equipment properly. I meant safe as a play on words, not as in me chancing my equipment.

:drinks:

Of course with the subsonic set and gain set proper it will be fine. I am wondering if it will sound like money ass.

And don't say "try it and see". I'd like some help, I dont plan on changing the port at this point, when it is in done...

So 32 ish? :shrug:

My system is my daily driver, and my 2 12's are tuned to 32hz, it hits nasty lows, VERY well, and is pretty darn loud on the higher frequencies. I can't tell a difference between my old box which was tuned to 34ish hz.

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)

Check out my system, not to thread jack.

But I have my BTL 15 in a 4 cube box @ ~32 Hz, and it gets lowww. Great daily driver for music, I have about 44 sq inches of port as well. I would say go for 32 and you can always build a new box.

cougarlogobaby.png

2 18's Wall Build Under Construction

My YouTube

2000 Mercury Cougar Build Log

Check out my system, not to thread jack.

But I have my BTL 15 in a 4 cube box @ ~32 Hz, and it gets lowww. Great daily driver for music, I have about 44 sq inches of port as well. I would say go for 32 and you can always build a new box.

Nice build man! What are the dimensions of your box?

I am using 3/4" birch ply for it. You probably have a trunk area very similar to mine. My only major limitation is my height @ 16" max