Sonic Electronix

Ok so i recently purchased a couple new things for my system including a ss rub1.2500, some knukonceptz 1/0 gauge, and a dc xl 10. The problem first started when i hooked up the rubicon and decided to hook up my friends sub in my car. The sub was already wired to 2 ohms so it should have worked fine on the rubicon but no. Once everything is hooked up i turn it on and the amp comes on and everything and the sub is working. However, the output is horrible and the excursion is rediculous and in short terms i ended up detaching the tinsels. So after that happens i get my xl 10 in and put it in a a 1 cube box tuned to 36 hz and it did the same thing as my friends sub. I found out that my xl i bought was actually a dual 1.4 or 1(both coils read 1.2 on mm) so i looked up and diagram for a dual 1 to achieve a 2 ohm load and hooked it up as pictured with positive from one coil to negative on the other and the negative and positive back to the amp. This however did not work and the excursion and output did not change. I tried hooking the sub on another amp and it did the same thing so i know its not the amp and it was a different car so it couldnt be the headunit. I really am stumped here and really agitated so please i hope someone knows whats wrong! :shrug:

What is the gain set vat? How did you set it?

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

Bass boost is all the way down and the gain was up. I have 2 kinetik 1400s and a 145 amp alt so i don't think im clipping it. I should be looking at 1700 watts when the sub is wired to 2 ohms.

You seem to have the wrong idea of clipping. You mention the gain is up, is it as high as it gets? If so, I can guarantee you are clipping the subwoofers.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

So clipping could make a sub have its max excursion regardless of power? I just don't see how the gain all the way up could make it do what its doing. I've had the gain all the way up before and it sounded totally normal with good output when i installed my stuff in a friends car a couple weeks ago. The problem started when i installed it in my car. The settings on the amp were the same from when i took it out of my friends car and put it in mine. However, when i try and hook it up in his car again it does the same thing as it did in my car. Hopefully i can get this all figured out before my xls which i've been waiting 3 months for come in next friday :) Looking around on the forum i came across this.

Clipping is the worst thing you can send to your subwoofers. Running a pure square wave (which is damn near MAX clipping) can potentially destroy a subwoofer on 1/4 RMS. When a clipped signal is applied, the coil loses linear travel and much more heat is released. Due to the lack of cone travel and excess heat build up, the woofer can easily blow on low power.

It says lack of cone travel which is not something that is occurring, the damn thing moves too much especially on the low notes.

Edited by ryne19

Even if it's not the gain causing the issue, you need to back down on it and set it properly. Clipping is terrible for the woofer man.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

So clipping could make a sub have its max excursion regardless of power? I just don't see how the gain all the way up could make it do what its doing. I've had the gain all the way up before and it sounded gtotally normal with ood output when i installed my stuff in a friends car a couple weeks ago. The problem started when i installed it in my car. The settings on the amp were the same from when i took it out of my friends car and put it in mine. However, when i try and hook it up in his car again it does the same thing as it did in my car. Hopefully i can get this all figured out before my xls which i've been waiting 3 months for come in next friday :) Looking around on the forum i came across this.

Clipping is the worst thing you can send to your subwoofers. Running a pure square wave (which is damn near MAX clipping) can potentially destroy a subwoofer on 1/4 RMS. When a clipped signal is applied, the coil loses linear travel and much more heat is released. Due to the lack of cone travel and excess heat build up, the woofer can easily blow on low power.

It says lack of cone travel which is not something that is occurring, the damn thing moves too much especially on the low notes.

1. No, causes a shit ton of heat though.

2. Regardless, your gain should NEVER be all the way up, do you even know what the gain does? its not volume.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/